Old 01-12-2007, 09:48 AM   #106
land_shark OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog
enjoy

nice stuff.
...I bought the wrong kit. man, how smooooth!
land_shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 10:11 AM   #107
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksan
Uber Cool! I am getting a setup together and hope to be looking at some fun times with .5 on boards this coming year.

My first board as an old fart was this one:

The guys at the local shop set it up for cruising, since I have neither the skills nor the girl-cojones to hit (literally) a park, and there was a HUGE HS parking lot nearby to play in on weekends. So, knowing I'd be playing there, and that I was a novice, they did a nice job setting up the trucks and wheel compound for me.

I used it in a video shoot so I got to expense it out.

It was stable enough for me to find all those old skills again. I got hooked within about a month and from there went to the Sector 9 Pintail. SWMBO got interested and I got her this really, really wicked K2--it's not the 3-wheel model but a way crankin' cool longboard--which she got to be quite good on. (the pole comes off).

After that it was this board:

which is strictly a carver, not much for cruising, at my weight. But boy, is it sweet.

I can honestly say that the longboarding has been one of the goofiest, most rewarding things I've done. You can stay on one all afternoon or just cruise a local street for a few minutes after dinner.

About that time I also got a Xootr. Man, it was definately a year for foot-propelled stuff. I actually did quite a bit of errand running on that thing. A bit of "hey, hold my beer" + the Xootr landed me in the ER one night.
Photog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 10:25 AM   #108
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

PS - I had to offload a lot of toys this past year for medical expense reasons. The boards were in the next wave of stuff to go. If I need to sell 'em I'll post 'em on ADV first.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:17 AM   #109
DADODIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,326
Concrete hurts!
That's all I gotta say.
DADODIRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 11:23 AM   #110
dlew
Daypass Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSGIRL
Never too old.
I learned how to ride a motorcycle at 35. Learned how to snowboard at 36.

Recently learned how to shoot a gun....

What next

Knowing that about you makes you hotter than you already are.

dlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 12:14 PM   #111
Caffeind
Team Piggly Wiggly

Oddometer: 11,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinez
There's a group of 4 or 6 kids around the corner from me who play football in the street on those. Their feet never touch the ground and the fast kids can go from full stopped to very fast in no time at all.

They say it's easy but then again they're about 12 so it's hard to know. I may have to try to mooch one of the kid's boards. And wear my wrist guards.
Lots of shit that would have been easy when I was 12 would result in lengthy and painful traction, rehabilitation, and physical therapy now.

I am getting kinda interested in a longboard now, though. Just what I need with my career going down the toilet is another money sink.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:31 PM   #112
land_shark OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSGIRL
Never too old.
I learned how to ride a motorcycle at 35. Learned how to snowboard at 36.

Recently learned how to shoot a gun....

What next
..struck me as very reminiscent of my wifey. She led a pretty protected life until we got together . She wouldn't ever accept a ride on my bike after class (because she was wearing a skirt, she says...I didn't mind). Now she rides her own, rock climbs, mountain bikes, and has shot more kinds of guns than me (everyone at the range wants her to try theirs out..go figure). I told her about this thread and she's since said "Hmmm, maybe I should give it a try...what's a longboard again?" Love that chick

Jason
land_shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 12:31 PM   #113
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 65,931
You guys have all seen Lords of Dogtown, right?

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 12:38 PM   #114
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa
You guys have all seen Lords of Dogtown, right?

yes, indeed.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:26 PM   #115
dlew
Daypass Adventurer

+1 on the longboarding. definitely not too old. don't bother with the ollie's. that stuff's for grommets.

we've got a quiver here and sometimes i'm out longboarding with all three of the kids.

here's the garage:

gravity board, nice with the kick tails for when you have to get that long board around a tight area:

arbor pintail, nice soft flexy ride for tight turning and non agressive riding and cruising. it stay in control even on steeps:

fibreflex cutaway, stiff board that really responds better to fast riding:

fibreflex slalom board for quick turning and responsive return. not bad around town and sidewalk stuff around people:

rollsrolls carbon fiber for a low to the ground feel feel. responds nicely when pushed with stiff carbon fiber. rolls over bumps with big fast wheels but not a lot of rubber on the ground:

but my favorite board is a simple medium sized straight line cruiser made my Rhyn Noll called a streeet surfer. i think it's a work of art. this one's off limits to the kids:

Old 01-12-2007, 01:29 PM   #116
dlew
Daypass Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeind
Lots of shit that would have been easy when I was 12 would result in lengthy and painful traction, rehabilitation, and physical therapy now.

I am getting kinda interested in a longboard now, though. Just what I need with my career going down the toilet is another money sink.
I heal pretty slowly these days and I'm just barely past 40. I don't think I'm every going to get in a half pipe or a pool again.

Relative to the other things I like to do this has got to be the cheapest and lowest maintenance. You can get inot it a helluva a lot cheaper than cars, motorcycles, bikes, fishing rods, guns, animals, kids, cameras, etc.

DAMHIK.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:35 PM   #117
Caffeind
Team Piggly Wiggly

Oddometer: 11,555
If I get a longboard this weekend, I'll post pics of the carnage.

Damn you all.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:45 PM   #118
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Quote:

Damn you all.

good luck. we're all counting on you.

/airplane
Old 01-12-2007, 02:46 PM   #119
blacksan
Rev Limiter

Oddometer: 4,251
Quote:

Damn you all.
I can come up to NOVA next spring and we can make an offical ADV crash test video.

BTW, If wonder if "The Man" would chase a couple of geezers off the mall with there longboards?
blacksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 03:01 PM   #120
DRconvertible
Lurking in SoCal

Oddometer: 255
I went to college in Illinois in the early-middle eighties and was the only person on campus that skated. I got to be known as "that guy on the skateboard" because I rode all year long and because I wore shorts through winter unless it was really, really cold.

One night, bored from making it snow inside my dorm room with a humidifer, a box fan, and an open window, my roommate and I had a shot contest. It started out with a shot every five minutes but time seemed to drag between shots and we just shot as we felt like it.

By the end of the hour I took down twenty-one tequila shots. My roommate quit after eight. Our school had in-dorm phones that were party-lined and all had the same prefix number so I just started dialing random numbers until a female voice answered. After about thirty rejections to a drunken, "Do you wanna come over and drink?", one finally consented.

"Are you gonna pick me up?"

"Sure," I said. "Where do you live?"

She told me.

"How will I recognize you?" she asked.

"I'm riding my skateboard over."

"Oh," she said. "You're that guy on the skateboard."

I don't remember riding to her dorm, but somehow made it there. She saw me, walked up to me, and asked what we had to drink.

As we were heading back to my dorm, I was coasting along on my board and she was walking next to me. It was a cold night, and I was in shorts, but had on a heavy jacket. We were getting to know each other and my hands got cold so I put them in my jacket pockets--deep, warm jacket pockets.

And then I hit a crack in the sidewalk. I remember the impact, and I remember not being able to get my hands out of my jacket pockets but don't remember anything else.

I woke up in the morning, still lying on the sidewalk, in a small pool of my own blood and the left side of my face swollen and sore. When I got back to my room, I looked in the mirror and it looked like I had been in a fight and lost. Bad.

On top of that, I was hungover worse than I'd ever been to that point in my life.

I saw her later in the semester and she said she tried to wake me up but couldn't, and since I was breathing regularly, she left. She also commented about me hitting the pavement with my face leading the way and wondered why I didn't even try to put my hands out to break the fall.

So, yeah. I vote you get that skateboard.

DRconvertible screwed with this post 01-12-2007 at 10:31 PM
DRconvertible is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: