Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2007, 08:23 PM   #121
dlew
Daypass Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRconvertible
I went college in Illinois in the early-middle eighties and was the only person on campus that skated. I got to be known as "that guy on the skateboard" because I rode all year long and because I wore shorts through winter unless it was really, really cold.

One night, bored from making it snow inside my dorm room with a humidifer, a box fan, and an open window, my roommate and I had a shot contest. It started out with a shot every five minutes but time seemed to drag between shots and we just shot as we felt like it.

By the end of the hour I took down twenty-one tequila shots. My roommate quit after eight. Our school had in-dorm phones that were party-lined and all had the same prefix number so I just started dialing random numbers until a female voice answered. After about thirty rejections to a drunken, "Do you wanna come over and drink?", one finally consented.

"Are you gonna pick me up?"

"Sure," I said. "Where do you live?"

She told me.

"How will I recognize you?" she asked.

"I'm riding my skateboard over."

"Oh," she said. "You're that guy on the skateboard."

I don't remember riding to her dorm, but somehow made it there. She saw me, walked up to me, and asked what we had to drink.

As we were heading back to my dorm, I was coasting along on my board and she was walking next to me. It was a cold night, and I was in shorts, but had on a heavy jacket. We were getting to know each other and my hands got cold so I put them in my jacket pockets--deep, warm jacket pockets.

And then I hit a crack in the sidewalk. I remember the impact, and I remember not being able to get my hands out of my jacket pockets but don't remember anything else.

I woke up in the morning, still lying on the sidewalk, in a small pool of my own blood and the left side of my face swollen and sore. When I got back to my room, I looked in the mirror and it looked like I had been in a fight and lost. Bad.

One top of that, I was hungover worse than I'd ever been to that point in my life.

I saw her later in the semester and she said she tried to wake me up but couldn't, and since I was breathing regularly, she left. She also commented about me hitting the pavement with my face leading the way and wondered why I didn't even try to put my hands out to break the fall.

So, yeah. I vote you get that skateboard.
And you tell the story of your moto get-off and then "vote" that the noob not get a motorcycle, right?
dlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 08:24 PM   #122
dlew
Daypass Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by German Trick
Here. I don't need this anymore.

help. i'm afraid i don't know what this is.
dlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 08:32 PM   #123
DRconvertible
Lurking in SoCal

Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlew
And you tell the story of your moto get-off and then "vote" that the noob not get a motorcycle, right?
Noob? A CR500 out to do it. You don't want some bike that's gonna leave you wanting more power.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:03 PM   #124
land_shark OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlew
help. i'm afraid i don't know what this is.
it's something akin to this:
land_shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 04:32 AM   #125
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeind
Lots of shit that would have been easy when I was 12 would result in lengthy and painful traction, rehabilitation, and physical therapy now.

I am getting kinda interested in a longboard now, though. Just what I need with my career going down the toilet is another money sink.
Do it. Great stress reliever. The cool thing about longboards is for a beginner all you gotta do is coast...no Tony Hawk genes required. The first big, gentle S-turn you do will have you grinning from ear to ear. Go as slow as you want. ATGATT, of course.

Got COBRA?

If you're ever in this neck of the woods you're welcome to try out my boards. Our street is pretty good but I like the big school parking lots--plenty of width to play with if you start building up speed.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 04:37 AM   #126
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Another great vid from Lush Longboards.

I really do love this stuff.

Old 01-13-2007, 08:54 AM   #127
land_shark OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Thumb

Got it after work, slapped it together so fast the cold grip tape snapped while I unrolled it. I couldn't help but think "What are the torque specs here..." The first trip around the block with the dog last night at 18F was still a blast.

Riley's herding instincts went into full gear. I have a bite mark on the back of my left knee....
land_shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 12:48 PM   #128
Caffeind
Team Piggly Wiggly

Oddometer: 11,555
Note to all you cheap bastiges out there. Don't look at prices on the web and THEN go to your local shop. The shop next to my kids ballet studio didn't have any longboards cheaper than $180. This after seeing boards online from $100-$140. Jeebus.

I'm going to try to hit another place tomorrow.

Still looking forward to being your crash test dummy.

Old 01-13-2007, 12:55 PM   #129
dizave
Team Blitzed

Oddometer: 5,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by land_shark
Got it after work, slapped it together so fast the cold grip tape snapped while I unrolled it. I couldn't help but think "What are the torque specs here..." The first trip around the block with the dog last night at 18F was still a blast.

Riley's herding instincts went into full gear. I have a bite mark on the back of my left knee....
Head over to Gina's and have them get some shots of you shredding their lot
dizave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 08:21 PM   #130
blacksan
Rev Limiter

Oddometer: 4,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeind
Note to all you cheap bastiges out there. Don't look at prices on the web and THEN go to your local shop. The shop next to my kids ballet studio didn't have any longboards cheaper than $180. This after seeing boards online from $100-$140. Jeebus.

I'm going to try to hit another place tomorrow.

Still looking forward to being your crash test dummy.

I went over to a local shop in Charlottesville today and spoke with the owner Andy Foster. He is 40+ and still skates. anyhow, he will set you up with a descent complete longboard for the prices you are finding in NOVA sucks. Hell, even with shipping you should come out with a better deal.

Black Cat
434-244-0014
http://www.blackcatsk8shop.com
blacksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 08:31 PM   #131
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

I wonder if AARP would pay for a shot of me on a longboard.

Old 01-13-2007, 08:33 PM   #132
frewhl
daily rider

Oddometer: 8,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksan
I went over to a local shop in Charlottesville
Black Cat
434-244-0014
http://www.blackcatsk8shop.com
Is that link for a store set up to sell,or do you have to call?
Then I headed over to where my girlfriend works. Greg, the boss, followed us outside and kept trying to tell me about how he went to Las Vegas one time on a motocycle. I was like, "oh-kay, that's great Greg."

Just back from Prudhoe Bay, IMO it was really worth the trip, AK is a beautiful place & you need lots of time to take it all in. I'm looking forward to returning & exploring some places i didn't have time to ride.RIP Ron Melton
frewhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 08:34 PM   #133
blacksan
Rev Limiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog
I wonder if AARP would pay for a shot of me on a longboard.

I would buy ya an Ensure if ya would street surf with me.

Tell me more about that wicked K2 you posted a pic of.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:39 PM   #134
blacksan
Rev Limiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewhl
Is that link for a store set up to sell,or do you have to call?
It is a real small shop, but Andy was real descent to deal with. He basicaly puts together what you want and tunes it. He started skating in 1975 and is in touch with what us geezers will be using our boards for. He just happens to be right across the street from UVA which means that he has a deverse client base. As he is in his 40's he does understand that stunt work is not what the mature crowd is interested in doing.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:52 PM   #135
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksan
I would buy ya an Ensure if ya would street surf with me.

Tell me more about that wicked K2 you posted a pic of.
I'll post pics of it tomorrow! When I get back into it, that's probably what I'm going to start out with.

I spent about 20 minutes trying to find info on the web about it--that model is long gone and all I found pics for were the 3-wheeled K2. The thing has vanished from the face of the earth...but before they did they were fetching pretty good money on ebay.

It's essentially a longboard with a "pole" up front, which allows you to either use it for stability as a n00b, or do more advanced stuff with carving, or you can remove it.

Purists would probably rather die than be seen on it (I took the pole off so I'd be more cool...then put it back on because it works well) but it's sorta perfect for our Geriatric Sk8 Gang here. Confidence-inspiring, but still competent for more advanced stuff.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: