User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2007, 07:23 PM   #1
datchew OP
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,409
/5 lessons; what's stock, what's not, and what to look for

Since i'm still adding to my picture and information stores for that future /5 purchase, I'd like to see if you geezers and gurus could look at the pictures of this baby and tell me about it.

i.e. Original pipes, handlebars, turn signals, etc.

I'm keeping a picture log on file with notes so when i start shopping in probably a year or so, I can be well prepared.

Here's the link. It's for sale on IBMWR right now.
I'd buy it but i don't have a house with a garage yet. That's phase I.

http://www.4woods.net/R75slash5.htm
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 07:35 PM   #2
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,064
That's a damn good-looking bike for $2500. The wife my bike started with was in roughly that shape, and she paid $2600.

Do a web search on Duane Ausherman, and look at www.5united.com if you want to learn about /5's.
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 08:24 PM   #3
Mugwest

Oddometer: 5,803
looks pretty correct from here Dat, 'cept for the chroming on the valve covers. Each his own i guess.
Bars: seem to recall from the Illustrated Buyer's Guide that the early US /5's came with higher bars that ended up being dubbed (duh) "US bars"-- the ones on this bike don't look as high as i remember US bars being, but that may just be the photography. Or someone may have put the european stocker on. The /5 crew here will clarify i'm sure.
That rear rack looks like possibly a later item add-on. Seems like racks on this period airhead were chrome, when they even had them

From a purists perspective, the Mayer has to go.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:32 PM   #4
StephenB
G(/)S ... what else!

Oddometer: 2,046
Nice looking bike I'd buy that one if I were you and had the money

Missing: chrome side panels
Wrong: chromed valve covers
Upgrade: 24l tank, lockable gas cap, Headlight conversion
accessories: rear luggage carrier, one piece crashbar, header covers, Mayer saddle, progressive fork springs, rear hub cap

Especially nice: correct pipes, correct rear shocks with aluminum cover, rear hub cap

I am sure there is more, but that is all I can see at the moment.

Some of the above is fact, some is fiction, some is my personal imagination and some is just simple truth. [me]

... i'm not touring around the world, but neither are most of the guys i see running overloaded spam cans ... [bmwblake]

Stephen Bottcher
Ontario, Canada

'72 R75/5 The Blues

www.stephenbottcher.net
StephenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 05:33 AM   #5
elmoreman
takin' a break, boss

Oddometer: 1,776
nice bike

Yeah...that's a nice bike for the price.

13 rib fork boots are also stock. I can't count them accurately on this picture. Of course the H4 conversion means you'll have to see things better in the dark, which isn't authentically a /5 experience .
Old 01-13-2007, 05:40 AM   #6
philp38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,188
Nice bike for the money. That bike is in alot better condition than my /5 was before the rebuild. Is it in Florida Datchew?
Old 01-13-2007, 06:07 AM   #7
bmwblake
upside down parker

Oddometer: 3,277
those pics look really familiar. i think this guy has had that bike posted off and on for more than a year. just makes me wonder why its still around. just a little fyi.
bmwblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 08:00 AM   #8
jtwind
Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer: 3,525
I looked at those photos a few days ago. Looks like a good bike, but you never really know till you see it in person. Though at that price it's probably hard to go too wrong. Other than the seat and the valve covers it looks original. A 70 /5 didn't have any battery covers so that's correct. JT
jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 09:25 AM   #9
kixtand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,145
Ok, I am going to list what I see as not original/correct for the year in addition to what has been said (i.e seat, valve covers, etc...) and also some additional notes that I think merit mentioning.

First, the carb breather tubes are not correct. The /5 tubes started out as silver, but are typically faded to gold, at least in some areas, by now. The black ones are what are currently available; there is no functional difference, purely cosmetic.

The big tank was the only one available for this year. As has been noted, the locking cap was not standard, but was available from BMW and may have come on some from the showroom, but the caps were still aluminum and not chrome at the time. Also, it looks like the cap opens toward the front, which should also be correct for this year.

The crash bars, heat shields, and rear rack are all accessories and are not considered stock. None of these should be an issue excepting the crash bars, which could have damaged the frame (either cosmetically or mechanically, depending.) My guess is that there will at least be damage to the paint. It is also worth noting that the crash bars and heat shields seem to be a common accessory that were added perhaps at the delaer, or perhaps even by the importer at the time??

In addition to the mufflers being correct, the header pipes also look to be correct from what I could tell (OEM, at least.) Note that one easy way to tell if there are non-OEM pipes is to look for the external clamp on the crossover pipe; if there is a clamp, they are not OEM.

The headlight ears do NOT have reflectors, but the turn signal housings DO, which is correct for this year. Additionally, the front signal mounts and also the rear bracket look to be the original plated ones, which is correct. (This is hard to tell for sure from the photos, but they definitely do not look like they are chrome.)

The engine badges do NOT have a black background, which is correct.

The shock springs are black, which I also believe to be correct for this year.

The center stand "tang" looks to be original. Note that the tang was NOT straight, but was actually bent to follow the contour of the exhaust.

I can't tell for sure, but it looks like the horn might not be correct. Also, again not for sure, but I don't think the Bings of this vintage should have the black plates. Can anyone confirm either??

kix

it makes everything better.
kixtand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 10:27 AM   #10
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,797
I'm not really all that savvy on slash-5's, but that is one nice looking bike! Price is good, too.
Go to amazon.com and look for a book by Mick Walker called "BMW Twins: All Flat Twins 1955-85, Restoration." I have this book, and it's loaded with pictures and diagrams.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al screwed with this post 01-13-2007 at 12:00 PM
Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 10:34 AM   #11
jtwind
Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer: 3,525
Quote:
There's also a book there on slash-5's if you search for BMW motorcycles.
Al,, I looked for the book on Slash 5's, didn't find it. That's one I haven't heard of yet. Any idea what it was called or who wrote it? There was a book on the BMW 5 series cars, could that have been what you saw? JT
jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 10:58 AM   #12
joelwebb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
/5 Lessons

Nice looking /5. There is lots of info available on the /5 at the 5 United Web page: http://www.5united.net/ and they have a email group (Yahoo Group) with lots of daily discussions on the /5. Hope you have many happy miles on this bike!

Joel

~ Chinese Proverb
joelwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 11:59 AM   #13
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwind
Al,, I looked for the book on Slash 5's, didn't find it. That's one I haven't heard of yet. Any idea what it was called or who wrote it? There was a book on the BMW 5 series cars, could that have been what you saw? JT
I am officially an idiot. I didn't read the description, but glanced over it. The car book is the one I saw. Sorry about that. Apparently reading comprehension is important after all.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 05:28 PM   #14
woodgrain
In-Dented Savant

Oddometer: 778
Still has proper 13-pleat fork gaitors,nice. Someone has replaced the Everbest petcocks with the newer style Karcoma petcocks. These bikes came with battery covers as an option until '74. From late '69 until their demise in '73 the /5 had plated hub caps on both the front and rear wheels. It has period accessories including the seat, which was probably made by the original Bill Mayer(it's a keeper). It's a good looking bike, buy it.

Woodgrain
woodgrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 05:37 PM   #15
woodgrain
In-Dented Savant

Oddometer: 778
Good eye kixstand. Carb air tubes were silver turning golden with use. Also I forgot to mention that carbs seem to have the dreaded black labels. Rumour has it, that some dealers replaced these troublesome bits with none black labelled carbs. Obviously it didn't happen in this case. Still, a very nice example of a /5.

Woodgrain
woodgrain is offline   Reply With Quote