User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2007, 06:30 PM   #16
datchew OP
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,408
man, you guys are good.

I read his advertisement so i knew about the springs, seat, valvecovers, etc.
I'm sure i've read at least 3 times on this site about the yellowish color of the original carb tubes, but i didn't even catch it this time.

Thanks much for the feedback. I'm making a list for when the time comes.

If I had a garage, it would be mine!!!

Phil, it's in "Bois D Arc, MO"

Kixstand, would the crashbars damage the frame because they don't "give" like the ones on my gs? I'd find it surprising that they'd design something like that to protect the valve covers by bending the frame, but you never know. They did make the Ford Pinto afterall.
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 07:13 PM   #17
ctfz1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,132
Careful owners/dealers used tape or tube material or both when mounting accessories as vibration and less precise fit would damage paint/ rust frame. Some never got the word. Some designs reputedly bent or crimped frames, never seen it myself, NOT an authority on crashed bikes. Must have rubber flap bolted to front fender to be period New England. Del Orto power upgrade?

ctfz1 screwed with this post 01-14-2007 at 11:15 AM
ctfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 11:36 AM   #18
woodgrain
In-Dented Savant

Oddometer: 776
Methinks that if you ended up with a bent frame because of the mentioned 1-piece crash bar you'd not have to worry about it. They'd be taking you away in a body bag. Not to step on kixstand's toes, I think he meant cosmetic damage from attachment to the frame without using any kind of protection for the paint.

Wooodgrain
woodgrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 06:02 PM   #19
kixtand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,141
Crashbars

The main concern I would have is the cosmetic side. From what I can tell, a lot of the time(s) these were installed there was no thought given to the long term wear on the paint, and if thst is the case, there is probably wear by now. Additionally, as someone else noted, if the crash bars were not installed w/ the proper care, then the frame could be crimped, but probably not likely. All in all this is probably not a big deal, but something to look for just in case.

As far as actually damaging the frame, I have heard, and agree, that the crash bars might actually do more harm than good in a crash. Yes they will protect the cylinders and such, but that may be at the cost of tweaking the frame. In my mind, the valve covers, cylinders, etc are easier to source and replace than a bent/tweaked frame. If the bike has never been wrecked--and by the looks of it, that is the case--then you have no worries. However, if it were me, I would remove the crashbars permanently.

Just my thoughts--

kix

it makes everything better.
kixtand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 06:57 PM   #20
datchew OP
Don't buy from Brad

So when you talk about cosmetic damage to the frame and how they're attached etc...

Would you just put some black electrical tape or something between the two pieces to protect them or is there more to it than that?
Old 01-14-2007, 09:19 PM   #21
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,404
Datchew,

That's a pretty sweet example of a '70 /5. For $2.5k I'd buy it in a heart flutter.

I like the chrome one piece crash bars on these old bikes. Adds a cool bit of period bling. Yes, in a prang it may bend the frame or flip the bike over turning a harmless lowside into a highside. So don't crash it. Relax and just style around. Ride it like a classic.

The bars appear to be /6 or /7 US bars, not /5 US bars and the horn's not stock. But who cares?

Original horn looked like this (btw, this is a '72 with a /6 24liter tank, before someone has a 'riginality fit):
Attached Images

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 11:20 PM   #22
Mugwest

Oddometer: 5,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce
I like the chrome one piece crash bars on these old bikes.[...]Yes, in a prang it may bend the frame or flip the bike over turning a harmless lowside into a highside. So don't crash it. Relax and just style around. Ride it like a classic.
I like this advice-- realistic; takes into account that one prolly should'nt be riding a classic like a daily-driver commuter War Machine in the first place. Arming a classic highly-polished Bling/pleasure machine into a Real World combatant results in a much different bike and experience, negating the original ride intent. Any modern machine will do grunt roadwork for that. Keep the oldtimers stock and ride the classics sober and carefully for genteel oldschool pleasure.

(still, all this yack about crash bars makes me appreciate the thought BMW has put into the later units: useful and disposable, sparing the frame in all but the harshest crashes)
Old 01-15-2007, 12:16 AM   #23
fixer
KLR-riding cheap bastard

Oddometer: 7,439
like the seller says, good condition for a 27 year-old bike.

however, it's 37 years old!

math is hard!
And don't be scared, just enjoy your ride.

"... in my version of Heaven you get all your dogs back." Mista Vern
"Old dogs don't die, they just wait for you in another place." Twilight Error

I'll show you a place, high on a desert plain, where the streets have no name.
fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 06:16 AM   #24
datchew OP
Don't buy from Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce
Datchew,

That's a pretty sweet example of a '70 /5. For $2.5k I'd buy it in a heart flutter.

Man, I hear that. My wife was even surprised I didnt' jump on it. I just can't right now. New baby in May, end of school in April, and it'd have to sit outdoors which is probably some kind of cardinal sin or something.

It's probably long gone anyway. There will be more.

Thanks all.

Mug, i'm with you on that one... I'd just enjoy it and not beat it daily.