ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2007, 07:14 AM   #46
Ricardo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Pissed 03 models check your reduction jet

I have been following this thread and decided to check my reduction jet.
removed the slave cylinder , chain guard/guide ect removed the M8 blanking bolt , i then unscrewed the brass screw which sits at the bottom of the hole, finally using the vacum cleaner with some reducing pipe i got the little bugger out, Guess wot NO OIL HOLE .
All 03 models had a brass plug pt no 600.038.027.000 this should have been replaced with Reduction jet pt no 600.38 029.000 as part of scheduled service it is suposed to improve clutch function .
My machine had all of its servicing work done at Red Line up untill the waranty ran out . Mileage to date is 20000 miles also on origional slave cylinder.
I will be over to Red Line first thing Monday morning .
Ricardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 10:44 AM   #47
tkorpi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmodem
Brilliant!
Thanks cpmodem! Kills me that in the Repair Manual they show a pair of tweezers being used to pull it out. I tried that for about 10 infuriating minutes before I stomped off in search of another solution...

The 950 SM and this board are slowly turning me into a crappy mechanic. I've got a CBR 600 in the garage with 62k miles on it and I was happy to only ever change oil/chains/sprockets. My 950 has 4.4k miles on it and I've had the bloody thing in pieces! In fact, it's in the garage right now with the carbs hanging off the bars so that I can finish a little unfinished ectomy business! Friggin' KTMs!

tkorpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 01:34 PM   #48
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer: 18,664
So, I managed to remove the little brass "screw" which has a "hole" in the top of the screw, in the center where the slot is for a flat tip screw driver. But it is such a small hole that a pin won't fit in there. It looks to be the diameter of a human hair. I certainly cannot see any light through it. WTF? Is this right? Is this the problem mentioned by Ricardo? Is this why my clutch plates look likme they got real hot, as the dealer mechanic told me? This is an 05.5 950 Adv.
unaweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 01:47 PM   #49
tkorpi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Clogged?

Sounds like it must be clogged. You should be able to see some light through there. Should be roughly .02" or 1/50" in diameter.

tkorpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 01:52 PM   #50
kamanya
Andrew to most

Oddometer: 1,295
Um... Ok, so in the name of being inquisitive I once took the clutch cover off and then seeing that it was practically dry in there I started the engine.

It was only after a few blips did I notice that a bit, and I mean only a bit of oil was being sprayed onto the swing arm and the foot peg and floor.

So, I can deduce that not a lot of oil gets to the clutch. I have a 2004, spec'ed to 2005 and I have yet to check to see if I have one of those jets with the holes.

Just my 2 cents, not sure its worth much though.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:47 PM   #51
TMoore
Arai Test Dummy

Oddometer: 216
Nope..

I just pulled mine, (an 04) and its plugged as well. I had developed
a real bad clutch chatter last year but it went away with the installation
of the newest clutch rod. It hasnt given me any problems since but... Ill be
ordering the new jet.
2001 Aprilia RSVR Mille
TMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 04:52 PM   #52
KTRMN8R OP
Sand Camel

Oddometer: 1,213
Wicked

Hey Fellas,
Wow! Didn't expect so much feed back on this thread, glad everyone's clutch discs will live a little longer(mine too). I got lucky when I serviced mine a week or 2 ago because it was clean.
In regards to drilling jets,... I've always thought this a bad idea (for oil jets or carburetor jets). Once a "jet", or 'venturi' if you like, is drilled it becomes more of a low pressure weep hole . The oil will come out thicker and have less of the "spray effect" (in the case of carb jets,... the fuel air mixture will not atomize correctly).
I do understand the thought of a larger hole being less maintenance and more effective than a clogged hole, but I've accepted the fact that I'll have to perform this check more regularly to maintain optimum performance .
Just my 2 cents fellers Happy Trails!

God Bless & Godspeed!

KTRMN8R screwed with this post 01-30-2007 at 05:25 PM
KTRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 04:59 PM   #53
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,815
Don't worry if you don't have a creeping clutch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkorpi
Sounds like it must be clogged. You should be able to see some light through there. Should be roughly .02" or 1/50" in diameter.
The hair thick jet hole is 0.30mm diameter and is really thin. The oil pressure though is high enough to deliver enough oil to the clutch! You could test it connecting it to an elastic hose and pressuring some water from the tab. It is difficult for the light to pass even if some oil is in the hole.
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 07:07 PM   #54
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer: 18,664
Thanks Gefr. I was able to slide a hair through it, so I guess it's ok. Geez thats a small hole. It was clogged.

QUOTE=gefr]The hair thick jet hole is 0.30mm diameter and is really thin. The oil pressure though is high enough to deliver enough oil to the clutch! You could test it connecting it to an elastic hose and pressuring some water from the tab. It is difficult for the light to pass even if some oil is in the hole.[/QUOTE]
unaweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:32 AM   #55
UKstu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Hi
I have a 03 from new. It has stated developing a cluch slip on pulling away. There is no slip once the clutch is engaged. I got suspicious of the jet so pulled it appart. I used a syringe to remove oil sitting on top of the plug where did this oil come from??? Hey presto NO oil hole just a plug.

How does the jet improve clutch function ?? I have 22,000 miles on the original clutch.

I assume the jet only jubs the push rod not the plates.

Last where do i stand now it's out of warranty. I don't want to take it to the same jokers who failed in the first place.
UKstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 09:31 AM   #56
K2m

Oddometer: 2,242
I to would like to know how all this works. There must be a separate jet to lubricate the clutch, and when I opened mine up I could not select neutral
K2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:08 AM   #57
Ricardo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Thumb Ordered oil jet

I took my brass plug to my local dealer, Red line, and they have ordered the jet and are posting it on to me free of charge. it would seem that the new jet should have been fitted when the bike was brand new sept 03 as KTM were aware of a problem with push rods.
If you look down the hole using a torch and mirror you will see a small slot in one side of the bore just bellow the 8mm threaded section, oil is forced through here and then down thro the jet and so lubricating the push rod .
Ricardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 02:34 PM   #58
HellsAlien
a has-been that never-was

Oddometer: 2,325
Yet another way to pull out the oil jet..

I used a cuticle scissor to pull the jet out of the hole. Stick the tip of the scissors into the ID at top of the jet and spread to grab it and pull it out.
Easy, worked good.
HellsAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 06:25 AM   #59
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,815
The oil jet just sprays oil to the clutch discs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2m
I to would like to know how all this works. There must be a separate jet to lubricate the clutch, and when I opened mine up I could not select neutral
when you opened your...clutch? you could not select N. Did you remove the discs? Did you leave the engine to warm up?
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:57 AM   #60
claferal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
My mechanic took a chewgum at the end of the screwdriver and catched the oil jet with it. Easy and effective