User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2008, 05:30 PM   #76
Pedrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Home-made filter idea...

My thought was to cut a piece of the green scotch bright pad & put it between the plug & jet. What-a-think of that idea??

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobz
since this plugged so easily the factory needs to come up with a little screen or filter that fits on top of the jet to catch any crap before it blocks that tiny orifice. every time I check it, it plugged. I also run the engine a few seconds with the jet out and then with the jet in and the plug out just to flush out any stuff hanging around. bobz

Pedrom screwed with this post 01-20-2008 at 05:42 PM Reason: forgot to subscibe
Pedrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 06:21 PM   #77
riceless950
Let's Ride!

Oddometer: 3,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrom
My thought was to cut a piece of the green scotch bright pad & put it between the plug & jet. What-a-think of that idea??
I think... stuff comming off the pad would create more clogging material. Plus the passages in the pad are way bigger than the hole in the jet.....I think.

riceless950 screwed with this post 01-20-2008 at 06:37 PM
riceless950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:49 PM   #78
Lost Again
Fresher Meat

Oddometer: 273
Works good

I just want to thank Rider 914 for the photo tutorial. I have noticed a much smoother clutch action in the cold morning hours. This forum is great. And thanks to all who share their experience and expertise.
Lost Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 07:01 AM   #79
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah
what does this oil jet do? What happens when it's clogged?

thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr
The wet clutch needs to have the disks lubricated in order to cool them. If the clutch is starved from oil the disks will overheat. Side effects are distortion of the metal disks,which can afect the operation of the clutch. The disks have friction with the clutch pressed, developing dragging and difficult gear changes (god forbid).
Hm. How does this jet lubricate the clutch plates? They are on the opposite side of the engine. The only thing I can see is that this lubricates the pushrod... am I missing something?
mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:58 AM   #80
Moraflex
Banned

Oddometer: 1,342
Exactly my question. Oiling the rod is important and that I believe is the function of the jet. The plates get there oil from?????
Moraflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:48 AM   #81
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moraflex
Exactly my question. Oiling the rod is important and that I believe is the function of the jet. The plates get there oil from?????
The clutch is lubricated with oil from the same passage as the transmission. After the crankshaft, pistons, rods, camchain, cams, and transmission gears and bearings are lubed, what's left goes to the interior of the wet clutch via the clutch oil restriction jet and through the pushrod passage to the interior of the clutch inner hub. Some of the oil in the inner hub is used to lubricate the sliding surfaces of the clutch booster. The remaining oil then flows through holes in the inner hub to lubricate the friction disks and the sliding surfaces of the clutch. After which the oil is flung out of the clutch to drain into the oil sump for pickup and return to the oil tank by the oil scavenger pump.

BTW, the clutch oil jet is listed in the "Scheduled Maintenance" to be removed and cleaned every 15,000 km. Doing this every oil change is an even better idea, especially if your clutch gets hard use.

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem screwed with this post 03-17-2008 at 11:10 AM
cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 03:24 PM   #82
Moraflex
Banned

Oddometer: 1,342
Thanks for the explanation. I'll check that jet next oil change. Only got 3800 miles on the beast thus far.
Moraflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 11:46 AM   #83
emelgee
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 870
Don't drill out the jet too big

Just finished off a service and decided to check the clutch for wear - all within spec, so I pulled the jet out to take a look.
The jet appeared to be blocked, and having read somewhere that the Dakar bikes had larger jets for better lubrication I thought I'd drill it out to 1mm and see what happened.
The result - it's impossible to engage neutral at a standstill with the enginee running. After re-reading this thread I noticed that K2M made the same mistake.
With the engine off, bike in gear and clutch pulled the bike rolls back and forth easily enough, so the clutch is disengaging fully - my guess is that too much oil on the plates is causing a bit of 'drag' in the clutch.

I'll be on the phone next week to get another 0.3mm jet, and I'll leave it at that size.

On a sidenote 5W fork oil seems to work well in the hydraulic clutch - I usually use specific clutch oil, but didn't have any on the shelf.

KTM 990 rider and proud of it!!

950 adventure gone, but not forgotten.
emelgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 12:12 PM   #84
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Quote:
Originally Posted by emelgee
Don't drill out the jet too big
That specific issue is discussed in the HOW

"The oil jet selected by the engineers at Mattighofen for the 950/990 Adventure is a compromise based on the assumption that the bike will be used mainly on the street and gravel/dirt roads. If the bike is used hard (ie: slipping the clutch to manuver tight trails or get through rough terrain or deep sand, or racing conditions) the clutch jet size should be increased (.40 - .50mm) and possibly some modifications to the inner clutch hub made (AKA the Feliciani Mods) to accomodate the extra abuse. Don't go too big; unless you're racing the bike, the 1.0 mm size Feliciani talks about for desert racing is too big for non-racing use. Be advised that some "streetability" may be compromised even with the .40- .50mm sizes (ie: hard to find neutral, clunky shifting at slow speed, etc.). Best to start small and work your way up. Have a spare .030mm so you can go back down when you get too big."
Sorry

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:27 PM   #85
emelgee
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmodem
That specific issue is discussed in the HOW

Sorry
You live and learn, as the saying goes.
As soon as I'd drilled it out I thought "Mmmm, that might be a bit big!".
When I had the clutch cover off there was a coating of oil cooked onto the inner cover and basket - it looks like it's been getting a bit hot in low speed tricky stuff, so I thought a bit more oil flow might help.
Looks like I'll stick to the stock size and maybe get a 0.50mm for extended offroad use.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:36 PM   #86
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Well at least it may save someone else the same experience. Thanks for the heads up.

-cp

Old 03-22-2008, 01:18 PM   #87
1stiski
Ride that nasty thing

Oddometer: 1,582
Oh the wonderful things you learn here !!! Always a pleasure.
"Grim Brother" #1
1stiski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 02:07 PM   #88
MrH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 463
Like others above, I've an 03 model., and after reading this thread had a look at the Oil Reduction Jet the other day and - mine's never been done either, there's a brass plug, no jet.

Now on the one hand I'm pissed off that the dealer I bought it from (Premier in Didcot) told me all required updates had been done, but on the other there's nothing noticeably wrong with the clutch after 32k miles, so I can't exactly complain, can I?

The Repair Manual I've got is the 03 one, and the lubrication diagram in there doesn't show any oil going to the clutch at all, or the pushrod, just 'Another oil duct leads to the oil line that lubricates the transmission gears.'

I find it hard to believe that the clutch itself gets all it's oil through a 0.3mm hole? If I've still got the brass plug in instead of the jet, does that mean my clutch doesn't get any oil? So what is this jet supposed to fix?
MrH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 02:38 PM   #89
emelgee
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrH
I find it hard to believe that the clutch itself gets all it's oil through a 0.3mm hole? If I've still got the brass plug in instead of the jet, does that mean my clutch doesn't get any oil? So what is this jet supposed to fix?
I was thinking the same. If the early bikes had plugs rather than jets then oil must be reaching the clutch by another route....
The other question is why would they make a provision for running an oil jet and then install a blank plug, and then change their minds and put a 0.30 jet in there??

Anyway, it looks like the KTM OEM jet is the same type as the Dellorto 6413. A quick ebay search pulls up a seller offering sizes from 53 upto 172 at 2.99 each.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:17 PM   #90
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrH
Like others above, I've an 03 model., and after reading this thread had a look at the Oil Reduction Jet the other day and - mine's never been done either, there's a brass plug, no jet.

Now on the one hand I'm pissed off that the dealer I bought it from (Premier in Didcot) told me all required updates had been done, but on the other there's nothing noticeably wrong with the clutch after 32k miles, so I can't exactly complain, can I?

The Repair Manual I've got is the 03 one, and the lubrication diagram in there doesn't show any oil going to the clutch at all, or the pushrod, just 'Another oil duct leads to the oil line that lubricates the transmission gears.'

The clutch gets lubed with oil from the transmission via the mainshaft and countershaft roller bearings and to a degree from oil thrown off the counter balancer gear and pinion gear. The clutch also runs in whatever oil is pooled in the sump.

Originally, apparently it was decided that that was enough oil for the clutch for its intended use. After the first season of racing, it was obvious that it was not enough for racing conditions. The Rallye bikes were having clutch problems. Amongst other things, Feliciani (Meoni's mech) and others were putting larger and larger jets inplace of the plug to help lube the clutch better from the inside (via the pushrod passage).

In July of 2003, KTM started installing a small jet .30mm. This was supposed to be retrofitted to all previous models in a Tech Bulletin (0309/38/01-E) issued in September of that year

The engineers were reluctant to install an oil jet at first, but they allowed for one in the design. As stated earlier, too much oil to the clutch causes problems also.

-cp

cpmodem screwed with this post 03-22-2008 at 06:49 PM