Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2008, 09:18 PM   #91
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmodem
The clutch gets lubed with oil from the transmission via the mainshaft and countershaft roller bearings and to a degree from oil thrown off the counter balancer gear and pinion gear. The clutch also runs in whatever oil is pooled in the sump.

Originally, apparently it was decided that that was enough oil for the clutch for its intended use. After the first season of racing, it was obvious that it was not enough for racing conditions. The Rallye bikes were having clutch problems. Amongst other things, Feliciani (Meoni's mech) and others were putting larger and larger jets inplace of the plug to help lube the clutch better from the inside (via the pushrod passage).

In July of 2003, KTM started installing a small jet .30mm. This was supposed to be retrofitted to all previous models in a Tech Bulletin (0309/38/01-E) issued in September of that year

The engineers were reluctant to install an oil jet at first, but they allowed for one in the design. As stated earlier, too much oil to the clutch causes problems also.

BRILLANT !!!!!!!!

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 05:17 AM   #92
MrH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmodem
The clutch gets lubed with oil from the transmission via the mainshaft and countershaft roller bearings and to a degree from oil thrown off the counter balancer gear and pinion gear. The clutch also runs in whatever oil is pooled in the sump.

Originally, apparently it was decided that that was enough oil for the clutch for its intended use. After the first season of racing, it was obvious that it was not enough for racing conditions. The Rallye bikes were having clutch problems. Amongst other things, Feliciani (Meoni's mech) and others were putting larger and larger jets inplace of the plug to help lube the clutch better from the inside (via the pushrod passage).

In July of 2003, KTM started installing a small jet .30mm. This was supposed to be retrofitted to all previous models in a Tech Bulletin (0309/38/01-E) issued in September of that year

The engineers were reluctant to install an oil jet at first, but they allowed for one in the design. As stated earlier, too much oil to the clutch causes problems also.
Thanks for that CP, that's a good answer! Don't know your background, but your answers often have an authority that makes me wonder if you have some inside info?

In the pic I've got, the only oil feed to the gearbox supplies a line that appears to have nozzles which spray directly onto the gears, there's no sign of an oil feed to the bearings, or anywhere else so I'd guessed it wasn't showing the whole story.

I'm already less than pleased with Premier, I suppose I'm going to have to go back there and try and get them to give me an oil jet, maybe I'll quote Tech Bulletin (0309/38/01-E) at them! Makes me wonder what else hasn't been done though.
MrH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 05:30 AM   #93
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,342
I have a Dellorto #70 oil jet installed after my booster smoked itself.

Shifts like butta........

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 03:49 AM   #94
emelgee
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 870
Just replaced my 1mm drilled jet with the Dellorto size 50. Normal service resumed

KTM 990 rider and proud of it!!

950 adventure gone, but not forgotten.
emelgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 08:38 AM   #95
uk_mouse
Aquatic adventurer

Oddometer: 1,447
I think I've posted this before, but just to add to the knowledge base, I'm using a 0.75mm jet, it's sometimes tricky to get into neutral, but a good blip of the throttle usually sorts it out.

Remember oil flow will be proprotional to the area of the hole in the jet, which increases with the square of the radius. Therefore a 0.75 jet will flow about 6 times as much oil as a 0.30. A 1mm jet will flow 11 times the oil of a 0.30.

(I'm assuming oil flow is linearly proportional to hole area, which it might not be, but you get the idea).
Old 03-28-2008, 10:53 AM   #96
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,342
Here's what I just did.
I bought a set of acetoline torch tip cleaners. Find the right size from the kit and just simply run it through the jet orfice. No need to remove it now.
Works like a charm and it's quick.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:36 AM   #97
Moraflex
Banned

Oddometer: 1,342
I was up on twisties this weekend and the bike only has 4008 miles on it. At the end of the 120 mile ride I noticed the up shifting took on a slightly different feel, in that it took two clicks to upshift one gear. Normally it's only one click. I took out the jet and sure enough, clogged! Blowing into the jet did not unclog it so I needed something else. I didn't happen to have a .010" wire laying around, but I did have two .005" wires which I twisted into a pair and that unclogged the hole. Took it for a test ride and it shifts in one click.

In the future, I will buy a High "E" .008" or .010" guitar string to poke out the hole without removing the jet. Turns it into a 10 minute job to be preformed every other month.

Why a guitar string you ask? Spring steel, wont break off and available everywhere.

Moraflex screwed with this post 04-12-2008 at 11:32 AM
Moraflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:48 PM   #98
Nightstalker
YO BUDDYPAL!

Oddometer: 5,935
Guitar string is a great idea!!

I'm about due for a new set! Now I have some purpose for the old strings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moraflex

In the future, I will buy a High "E" .008" or .010" guitar string to poke out the hole without removing the jet. Turns it into a 10 minute job to be preformed every other month.

Why a guitar string you ask? Spring steel, wont break off and available everywhere.

North American
Ride Report Index and GPX files at:

NSRides.com

Nightstalker rides North America 2007

snug htiw swoC
Nightstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 02:32 PM   #99
aurel
Cheese&Wine!

Oddometer: 3,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by rider914
Jet came out easily, maybe cause the engine was hot.
I tried to get the jet out that way without success...

I was not able to put enough force vertically on the screw so the screwer was sliding out of the head screw everytime before it starts turning...

I'll try with a hot engine But what a pain to access that screw, I'll try to make a special tool to make the job easier...

World Tour finished! http://www.the-great-adventure.fr
aurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 02:48 PM   #100
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
The right tool for the job

I've found precision hollow ground screwdirvers of the type gunsmiths use to be the best for the soft material of jets. They come in all lengths. There will be a slot driver ground to precicely the right shape. In the case of the oil jet, it is a #4.

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem screwed with this post 04-27-2008 at 03:56 PM Reason: Add link
cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:06 PM   #101
aurel
Cheese&Wine!

Oddometer: 3,687
Thanks

World Tour finished! http://www.the-great-adventure.fr
aurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:23 PM   #102
emelgee
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 870
I use a large flat bit from an impact driver set. It fits into a regular 8mm socket or spanner. You need something with a tip about 8mm x 1mm to get some decent leverage on the jet.

KTM 990 rider and proud of it!!

950 adventure gone, but not forgotten.
emelgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 03:21 PM   #103
Farmboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Thanks to all the above posts I have managed to sort out my clutch clunkfirst thing in the morning.

I found the High E gutiar string is the way to go, just remove the bolt and push the string down into the jet hole.

No need to remove the jet
Farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 05:04 PM   #104
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,818
I'm glad I saw this thread. My '06 950 SM (6500 miles) has just begun to not ratchet back on some up-shifts, irrespective of gear. I had recently lowered the lever a little and I thought I was hanging the lever up slightly with my toe.

I just read through this thread, removed the jet and yup, it was plugged. I'm a guitar player, so I cleared it with the .010 string.

Thanks, Orange Crush. This is why SM owners need to read this section, too.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:46 PM   #105
piercalif
Biciveloce

Oddometer: 406
Talking about clutch

I read somewhere that in repacking the clutch you should offset the first disk by one tooth, dose anyone know if the information is correct, and why is necessary to do that?

Carlsbad
piercalif is offline   Reply With Quote