User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2007, 06:30 AM   #1
dlew OP
Daypass Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,144
Need R90S buying advice kind of quick

I might have the opportunity to buy a R90S today or tomorrow LOCALLY for a very good price and I need to get up to speed quickly or the opportunity will pass.

It was bought by this owner as a non-runner and is described as completely stock with the exception of stainless steel brake lines and master cylinder.

The owner is busy but is more than willing to answer questions and show the bike but I have six competitors and if I snooze I lose.

I know very little about airheads and I'm wondering for some quick tips on things to look for. Obviously frame and engine should match. That would be nice.

I'm not looking for a collector bike but rather a decent runner that will hold its value.

The owner, OTOH, has a collection of fourteen bikes.
dlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 06:56 AM   #2
kz1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 780
Paint and service records.

Paint seems to be big thing with R90S people. Make sure it is an original paint job in good condition. Check the fairing for cracks or repairs. Hard to repair, expensive to paint. Ask about service records for the bike. Any information about POs would be good to know. Check the inside of the tank for rust. Most R90S owners love their bikes and really baby them. One look and you can tell if he has taken care of it. If someone takes the time to keep the nuts and bolts looking good, they usually don't skrimp on the upkeep.
kz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 07:07 AM   #3
ozrockrat
Ozrockrat

Oddometer: 391
Make sure it has Dellorto carbs not bings. Twin disk front and maybe check out this site http://bmwmotorcycle.home.att.net/r90s.htm
ozrockrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 07:19 AM   #4
jtwind
Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer: 3,472
It's difficult to tell you much without seeing photos and knowing the price. Make sure it's a real r90s, s fairing, with engine badges, twin discs up front and dellortos aren't all of it but it's a visual start. Get the serial number and plug it into a bmw oem website to tell for sure. If it is and you are talking a very good price like a couple of grand or less I wouldn't hesitate. More money would depend on condition. In good to very good condition these run $6000 and up these days. JT
jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 07:35 AM   #5
dlew OP
Daypass Adventurer

Thanks to all of you for the replies.

Thhe solution has been to get a friend who has been MIA until thirty minutes ago to go and look at the bike. He owns two R90S's himself, one of them purchased new when he was nineteen and now with 125K miles on the clock. and he happens to live twenty mintues away. I live about two hours away and I'd have to drag three kids with me.

The bike's odometer says 25K miles FWIW. It is obviously silver smoke and the engine number and frame match. It is a true R90S with original paint, a few scratches and chips from normal use but nothging eregious and no dents.

He is asking $4500 firm.

Thank you all again. Still open to comments.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:11 AM   #6
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,408
it better be bloody immaculate and sing you a song when you walk up to it for that price. I think at an even $5k, they come with the little light shining down from the heavens.

Good luck! Post pics!!!
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:49 AM   #7
jshuck
Iron Butt #31

Oddometer: 392
R90s

I have several and they are fun to restore. Some things to look for.. the handle bar clamps are different on R90S's. Black painted aluminum with a polish strip down the middle. Original mirrors are highly prized. The early original mirrors were long with slender curved stalks. Check the condition of the chrome. The fairing brackets should be chrome as should some of the bolts...rear shocks, etc. The Dellorto's are tricky to keep clean, but once adjusted, they work well. These bikes are also tricky to start hot or cold... sometimes you have to choke to start when they are hot. Also look for the little curved tubes on the top of the Dellortos that the cable goes thru. Make sure it had the correct differential...and speedo.. The diff should be stamped 33/11 and the speedo should be stamped 1.112 on the face. Early and late seat patterns are different.

There are other running changes, but most are documented. Some very late ones even had /7 style tanks. A numbers correct roller is probably worth 3-4K. Remember, these were the first superbikes... There also is a very good book just out with lots of details. I have a silver smoke TT, a cream sickle Daytona Orange and a custom done with Candy Purple/Silver in an R90S color scheme and supertrapps. There is a club and a yahoo group. enjoy... Bob had one with minimal miles that went for 50K as I recall.
jshuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:09 AM   #8
dlew OP
Daypass Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by datchew
it better be bloody immaculate and sing you a song when you walk up to it for that price. I think at an even $5k, they come with the little light shining down from the heavens.

Good luck! Post pics!!!
I've been tracking the prices and while and this price might have been the norm several years ago--not so much now. I've seen total pieces of non-running junk on ebay selling for $3650.

I'm about to get the report.

dlew screwed with this post 01-15-2007 at 11:46 AM
Old 01-15-2007, 10:13 AM   #9
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

maybe airheads are the next investment boom.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:42 AM   #10
Boojum
I Miss the PartyBoss

Oddometer: 5,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by datchew
maybe airheads are the next investment boom.

That's what I'm hoping!
I've done pretty well with my PD, and hoping the R90 will fair as well in the coming years,......we'll see.

Boojum!
Boojum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:46 AM   #11
jtwind
Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer: 3,472
It's worth the $4500, no doubt. I'd buy one like you describe for that price any day. JT
jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:50 AM   #12
philp38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwind
It's worth the $4500, no doubt. I'd buy one like you describe for that price any day. JT
Plus 1...
Old 01-15-2007, 11:46 AM   #13
dlew OP
Daypass Adventurer

So my buddy took it out for a spin but didn't want to take it on the highway with a bald back tire. He said he ran very strong and shifted very nicely.

It has none of the classic leaks that many tend to have.

The compression is reportedly excellent and the owner offered to to a compression test right there on the spot.

The paint is original and it's worn and chipped in spots but that's to expected on a bike of this age. There are no dents.

The wheels are shiny.

There's a chip in the fairing.

There's no rust but there's some pitting underneath the mufflers.

All the gagues work except for the clock.

The non-original parts seem to be some upgraded /5 wires and some fork covers--all good things, IMO.

There are Krauser bags and after market bags all with covers.

No pictures yet.

My sense is that it's a fair-good deal for the buyer and that if I decided I didn't want it I could wait for spring and pop it on ebay and make a grand or more. I'm just not sure it's worth battling SWMBO about this and whether I need more than one bike--especially if the other bike is a GS.

-----------------------

Here's a link to the POS non-running bike on ebay that went for $3650.

http://tinyurl.com/y4xzwt

And here are couple pics from that auction:

NOTE: this is not the bike I am considering.

You've got to be kidding me.

------------------------------------

Airhead prices have been rising even in the last year. I wouldn't mind having a PD but those prices are really rising, too. There's just no inventory of nice bikes.

dlew screwed with this post 01-15-2007 at 12:09 PM
Old 01-15-2007, 12:03 PM   #14
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

sounds like it DID sing you a song when you showed up.

For some reason, I have the feeling we'll see pics of you on it very soon.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:03 PM   #15
kixtand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,141
Sounds like a good deal to me, and probably worth the battle.

it makes everything better.
kixtand is offline   Reply With Quote