User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2013, 04:26 PM   #1
Harry Potter OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
What should Suzuki update on the DR650?

A lot of riders keep suggesting that the DR650 is due for an update. As a prospective buyer the only thing I know I would like to see is at least a 400 watt alternator. I need the ability to run heated gear and lot of auxiliary light and the current wattage seems a little low. Is there anything else you would suggest to Suzuki to update?
Old 12-27-2013, 04:58 PM   #2
The_Precious_Juice
Two pump chump

Oddometer: 1,150
4.5 gallon fuel tank. So 1.1 gallons of fuel.
lThat is all.

I've actually never rode one so as far as I'm concerned the suspension is wonderful and the seat is fine.

The key here is if higher higher is looking at sales numbers and looking to up grade. I doubt they are for here in the U.S. market.
The intial cost on research and engineering back in the mid 90s to make the bike is not even something for finance to worry about for over 15 years, and the cost for production and parts over the years has got to me low. No need for marketing either.
They increase the MSRP every year.
2012: $5999
2013: $6399
2014: $6499

Not a gold mine, but maybe a coal mine from back in the 1950s over in Appalachia.

The KLR 2014 New Edition just came out and that was a suprise, so maybe the DR will get a few changes here in 2014.
The_Precious_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:18 PM   #3
wvdirtbiker
MILES2GO

Oddometer: 206
How about fuel injection and a six speed.
wvdirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:26 PM   #4
Ocky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvdirtbiker View Post
That's what all of the Japanese dualies need.

At least EFI, 6 speed might not be needed depending on the motors performance post update but it obviously would be very beneficial too.
Ocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:27 PM   #5
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,923
Modern ergos. Basically copy a 690 in bar/seat/pegs. They could do more with 500cc water cooled and injected, lighter, smaller, better packaging. 6 WR gears. DRZ500R. 50 HP, tank options from 3 to 6g.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:33 PM   #6
danptobin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Fuel injection and a larger gas tank would be the most usefull changes. Maybe an updated shock and forks. An increase in alternator output for those who want to run heated grips and GPS. Make it available in blue or yellow again
danptobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:37 PM   #7
Adanac rider
The Great Gazoo

Oddometer: 69
I would like to see Suspension like the Dr-350 had, larger tank and larger stator, with optional luggage racks and a small fairing.Changing the motor would warrant some government hurdles and the after market can supply more power.I love mine except for the suspension.Whats out there for aircooled F.I. thumper motors?

Adanac rider screwed with this post 12-27-2013 at 05:54 PM
Adanac rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:41 PM   #8
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,690
Quote:
A 6 speed? The DR has a wide spread of gears as is. Cruises easily at 70mph and has a low enough low gear to get around with.

Real suspension is what it needs,and a seat that is good for more then 20 minutes.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:50 PM   #9
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
A lot of riders keep suggesting that the DR650 is due for an update. As a prospective buyer the only thing I know I would like to see is at least a 400 watt alternator. I need the ability to run heated gear and lot of auxiliary light and the current wattage seems a little low. Is there anything else you would suggest to Suzuki to update?
If/When they update anything, I'd hope for backwards parts compatibility with the current model.

'Not a whole lot that needs changing badly enough to warrant the likely cost increase. Most of it can be done easily by an owner.

Optional spring rates would be nice.

A color other than grey would be nice too, although the grey has grown on me.

A longer un-stepped seat with a wide and concave rear section would be good for hauling a passenger better. Keep the narrow front.

Loc-Tite and longer NSU screws.

A 300K-mile oilpump gear.

Sealed bearings, with waterproof synthetic grease in them.

LED-compatible flasher.

MOSFET reg/rect.

Heatproof pickup coil.

An optional full-length skid with ears.

Grippier passenger pegs that protrude further.

Go back to the DR250 tail/brake light. (DOT issue?)

A wide-ratio 6spd would be beautiful. It's one of the few things on the DR that the aftermarket doesn't/can't do cheaper. The current wide-ratio 5spd already does pretty well with 14/41 or 15/44 sprockets though, so that might not be worth the cost, although a totally-new 6spd design might completely eliminate any 3rd gear concerns.

Could they enlarge the valves, upgrade the cam, smooth the header-weld, and bump the compression a point without much added cost, requiring premium fuel, or failing emissions? That could give a nice bump in power and help it pull harder in the upper revs.

Adjustable suspension damping would be nice, to include rebound in the shock. The aftermarket probably already does it cheaper and better though. I wouldn't want to lose the adjustable-height feature.

Many people run heated gear just fine on a DR. If you're really concerned, upgrade to a 250W stator, swap in a MOSFET reg/rect, and swap the bulbs that are always on when the bike is on (tail/brake, dash illumination, license illumination, and headlight) to LEDs and/or HID. Use LED fog/driving lights. I have a pair of single-CREE lights on my out-west DR that work fine and use 5W per light. I got them on Ebay.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.

Kommando screwed with this post 12-27-2013 at 06:13 PM
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:52 PM   #10
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
Hopefully they won't update it like Kawasaki did with the KLR in '08.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:52 PM   #11
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,547
18" rear.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:00 PM   #12
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Quote:
I could do without the fuel injection. The BST40 carb and the sensor-less non-EFI electrical system is pretty simple to troubleshoot and work on with just the OEM toolkit and a multimeter, in the garage or in BFE. I didn't even have to remove the carb to change jetting. I just rotated it in the rubber boots. I doubt that the EPA would let them get away with a pumper flat-slide carb.

A wide-ratio 6spd would be nice, but it's not really necessary. Run 15/44 sprockets. The bike will run dirt and slab fine if the carbing is decent.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:05 PM   #13
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
18" rear.
That could be nice. I see a lot of rear knobbies I'd like to try, then I find out they only come in 18" sizes.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:06 PM   #14
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
I doubt that the EPA would let them get away with a pumper flat-slide carb.

A wide-ratio 6spd would be nice, but it's not really necessary. Run 15/44 sprockets. The bike will run dirt and slab fine if the carbing is decent.
The stricter EPA crap will pretty much insure that a new design will have to have FI and the gearing will probably suck as well for the same reasons.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:13 PM   #15
buddoggin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
What it needs is "Bold New Graphics"

2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2010 KTM 690 Enduro R
buddoggin is offline   Reply With Quote