User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2015, 05:46 PM   #1
mjohnson3764 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Question WR250R Dirt/Supermoto Setup Questions

Recently bought a 2008 WR250R from my brother about a month ago and have found myself on the road way more than offroad and that has brought me to look at a set of street wheels.

I'd like to have a set of supermoto Warp 9 wheels with some Avon Distanzias or Shinko 605s on them for my usual street and light offroad use. And then use my stock wheels for more serious offroad use.

I've seen some threads and videos of guys that have two sets swapping them in 15-20 mins but without changing the sprocket. Obviously this would not make for good gearing in either setup, but what would you all suggest?

I currently have a 13/49 rear with stock dirt tires. Would I be better off compromising and getting one in the middle at like a 45-47? Or have different sprockets and chains for each setup and spend the extra time when swapping?

I've worked on quads slightly in the past, but usually with some help so I'm trying to minimize the work required to make for a somewhat easy/quick swap so that I can get the use I want out of each setup when I need it.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!
mjohnson3764 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 07:09 PM   #2
N8
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
You would be best off with 14/51 or 14/52. Gearing will be fine for both off and on-road and the front of your swingarm will thank you later. IMO, dirt gearing is actually best for these bikes on-road. They rev higher, but they don't have the power to pull the taller gearing at high speeds anyway.