User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2015, 08:26 AM   #1
El Explorador OP
Radical Explorer

Oddometer: 285
Weird vibration issues + don't put blind faith in EM doohickey upgrade

First, the doohickey. Famous must-replace part on klrs, great way to get to know the guts of your bike. I have been delaying to look into it because, I replaced it with an eagle mike it's gotta be bomb-proof! Well, the spring snapped and was in pieces in the engine case just like the one it had replaced!

Not to say anything about the quality of the product; for all i recall it was poorly installed. at the point I put it in I still wasn't 100% sure which way to turn the screws. Just a reminder to not "seal it and forget it" like I did.

Now why was I in there in the first place? The bike has a really weird vibration, feels like the engine is loose. Mirrors vibrate so bad they are unusable, everything is rattling and bolts are coming off regularly. The engine is not loose, all bolts holding it to the frame are gudentite. The wheel bearings are good, as are the swing arm bolts and the suspension. Took it to a mechanic after checking all these and we looked at the valves, intake is too tight (o.05) but looking at the spark plug while it's clearly running too hot it seems like it will last til April when I can restock in canada, and more importantly shouldn't be causing this vibration issue. Valves eliminated as a culprit, went in to check the balancer but unfortunately replacing the spring did not resolve the vibration.

Now both I and the mechanic, who is familiar with klrs, are stumped as to what to look for, hoping someone on here might have a suggestion!
El Explorador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:03 PM   #2
Zoef zoef
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 371
Incorrect timing of balancer?
Zoef zoef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 01:20 PM   #3
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,734
if the bike is '95 or older the gears for the balancer system have springs in them as a dampener. they wear out & fall out. the newer design gear is solid & is a direct fit. parts are cheap on ebay.

go with the torsion spring, not the coil spring on the doo

if you haven't done anything to the carb yet you should. there is a plug that covers the pilot (idle) mixture screw. the mix is set lean from the factory. pull the plug & set the screw 2 1/2 turns out. you can also shim the main needle with washers. some guys also drill the slide but many say don't... it's called the 22 cent mod.

what year, how many miles, is it using oil, it the air cleaner clean?????

try running with the door off the air box, and then briefly with no filter
Old 02-25-2015, 01:37 PM   #4
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,734
lets back up.... it vibrates while not moving right?

vibrates when you drive is not necessarily the engine.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:57 PM   #5
Wasser
Spilt my beer

Oddometer: 4,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
lets back up.... it vibrates while not moving right?

vibrates when you drive is not necessarily the engine.
+1

When does the vibration occur?

Sitting still with the engine running or, riding down the road?
Wasser is online now   Reply With Quote