Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2015, 07:25 PM   #1
ktmpilot OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
2005 625 SMC 17/40 sprockets vs 16/38

I have a 05 SMC

the sprockets are 17 / 40 stock, I didn't have the info when ordering and they sent me 16 / 38 - the ratio is pretty close 2.35 vs 2.38, I'll get a little more acceleration and lose a little top end but don't see as this being a big difference

any thoughts? should I just install them and ride
ktmpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 02:34 PM   #2
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 9,073
Miniscule difference, probably about 1/2 mph at 60 mph, hardly enough to even notice.

I put the sprocket tooth count in an excel spread sheet calculator I made to do comparisons of sprockets and tire diameters for my bikes. An exact number would require the proper gear tooth counts for the KTM, but still probably little difference.

Do you run them? Depends on how hard it is to get the right stuff. The 40-17 won't wear quite as fast, more teeth to distribute load and wear, plus a bit less chain wrap on the smaller sprocket - aka less wear. Your call.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 04:39 PM   #3
ktmpilot OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
thanks markk53 - that's what I was thinking - so little of a change that it would make almost no difference

the smaller front will wear a little more but I'm not overly concerned about that

your point about availability was one I didn't consider - I talked to three shops and all thought I had 2 heads when I said 17 front - they said it's not common - likely why when I ordered for a replacement set they sent the 16/38, as close to 17/40 as can be

thanks for the input
Mike
ktmpilot is offline   Reply With Quote