User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2008, 12:52 PM   #1
qwiksilver OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 348
Question Thinking of Buying a Yamaha XT250

I am in the market for a new bike. I've been using a Yamaha Zuma scooter as a daily driver for the past 3 years and it's been fun. I ran in some scooter rallies and wore the bike out at the 7,000 mile mark. I love the $12 a month fuel bill. These days, who wouldn't?

Unfortunately for the Zuma, I love getting off-road. I love camping where your average family can't get to. I have a Jeep on 33" tires and a 4" lift for the local deserts. Due to fuel costs it sits. At $80 to fill up and a top gas mileage of 15-17, it's gotten to the point I can only wheel a few times a year. I'm going crazy to get back out to the desert. I started thinking about getting a dual sport bike to satisfy two needs - commute and off-roading.

So yesterday I'm sitting in the Yamaha dealership down the street waiting for the scooter's electrical problem to be diagnosed and a sweet looking little bike caught my eye. I sat on it and liked it. The bike I sat on was a 2008 Yamaha XT250. What is the opinion here about this bike before I plunk down $4k?

I am questioning a few things and would really appreciate any advice.

1. I don't have a trailer so the bike would have to be a "drive there, do the trail, drive home" bike. Can this bike handle a freeway at a decent speed? Many of our best trails are two or three hours away on the Southern California freeway system. Can this bike handle going that distance at, say 55-60 mph, without wearing out the engine too fast?

2. How is the reliability factor. Can I rely on it as a daily driver? Anyone use outside sources for repair work? Is it an expensive bike to keep after you get it home?

3. Who uses it in heavy city traffic? I commute in Los Angeles and the Zuma is easy to ride because it's an automatic. How is the gearing for stop and go traffic?

4. Is the gas mileage what they advertise? I'm hearing 60-70 mpg. What can I expect from a tank of gas?

5. I am used to having locking storage in the Zuma. I can fit a full face helmet under the seat, or a bag of groceries, or my jacket and riding pants...you get the picture. Does anyone know of some locking luggage that can be added to the XT250? Yamaha doesn't seem to carry any. I only saw easily slashed soft sided ballistic nylon. Is there some aftermarket stuff somewhere?

I was originally thinking of a larger bike, but I'm not certain I want that kind of weight wrestle with. I am also short legged (30" inseam) and I don't feel comfortable unless I can flat foot a bike. The XT250 seemed like it fit my legs and reach. I also feel that I don't really need a big bike to haul 135 pounds around.

If you know of a better bike I would really appreciate hearing about that as well.

Thank you very much.
qwiksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 02:17 PM   #2
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,737
The XT250 is a great bike. Put new tires on it and it will be an even greater bike. Those cheng shins are stale turds.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:15 PM   #3
biker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
You should easily get mid 70's mpg
biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 05:24 PM   #4
EdM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
I have no personal experience with this motorcycle but did read a favorable review in the April issue of Motorcycle Consumer News.

In their test they averaged just under 68 mpg.

Measured top speed was 75.9; at your weight you might do slightly better(?)

You might also look at the ongoing thread concerning the XT225 as I believe there are some comments there about the 250.

Ride safe!

Ned
EdM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 07:42 PM   #5
qwiksilver OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks, I am going to continue looking at this bike, and others in its class. With gas at $4.59 a gallon here, you don't buy more bike than you absolutely need.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:34 PM   #6
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdM
I have no personal experience with this motorcycle but did read a favorable review in the April issue of Motorcycle Consumer News.

In their test they averaged just under 68 mpg.

Measured top speed was 75.9; at your weight you might do slightly better(?)

You might also look at the ongoing thread concerning the XT225 as I believe there are some comments there about the 250.

Ride safe!

Ned
Did the magazine post the zero to sixty time? That is the one stat I can't find on this bike.
any help appreciated.
thanks

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
and as PDF here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 03:01 AM   #7
EdM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Moto:

Zero to 60 was 10.35 seconds.

They did comment "...can actually keep up with fast freeway traffic." but one of the "pans" was "Flat out on the freeway, the knobbies hurt stability slightly"

Ned

(sorry I didn't respond sooner but two of the grandchildren are visiting and were monopolizying the computer)
EdM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:12 AM   #8
Baggi'tard
Assventure rider

Oddometer: 538
I have a friend that just bought the XT250 as her first bike a few weeks ago. So far it has been perfect for her. We looked at things like KLX250S and WR250X, but she wasn't quite sure about tip-toe around her first bike. She can paddle the XT around in parking lots very easy and it was obviously a good choice.

While she doesn't ride it much at "freeway" speeds" she says it's great at "highway speeds" which at 50-60 mph is fine. The Chen Shins do cause some shitty wobble at those speeds though. I've recommended she get Avon Distanzias (in 80/90-21 and 110/80-18 as those are Avon recommended for the rim sizes) so smooth out the wobble. I've ridden it once at say 45 and less, it's VERY easy to ride, turn, etc and seems to have completely adequate power. And being a typical Yamaha I don't see why it won't be minimal cost to own and maintain. Hell it only holds 1.3 litre of oil, so oil changes will be CHEAP.

"Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff." Bob Lee Swagger.
KTM 640E, KTM Duke II, Ducati Multistrada 1100S

Baggi'tard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:40 AM   #9
EagleFeather
Flyin' High

Oddometer: 2,227
My wife just brought home a brand new XT250 this weekend, so she hasn't ridden it alot yet, but so far - she loves it!

As was stated earlier - the ride height was a big factor (as well as the fuel mileage). The KLX250S was way too tall for her. She can't flatfoot the XT but she can touch enough that she feels comfortable.

Surf the World
www.couchsurfing.com

Motorcycle Travel Network
www.motorcycle-travel.net

save $5 on your SmugMug subscription - use coupon code RzTdQ4pMyqEuU - www.smugmug.com
EagleFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:40 AM   #10
Tinfish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
I like the look of the xt250 a lot. Other bikes to look at before deciding:

TW200 -- better in the sand (those big fat tires), much worse on the freeway, cheaper, smaller engine.

XT225 -- superseded by the XT250, but can still be found new in dealerships with good discounting, six speed gearbox, a bit lighter than the XT250, very good aftermarket support.

Honda CR230L -- don't confuse with the off-road only bike with the similar name (crf230, I think); looks very well put together, has gotten good reviews, similar low seat height, aftermarket not very developed yet but if it sells well will be.

KLR250 -- higher seat height may be a deal-breaker, but it will be better offroad than most of the other options.
Tinfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:04 PM   #11
seriousracer
be a man dodge tree bark

Oddometer: 7,426
might as well get an xt350 if your going for the 250.

be a man dodge tree bark!

We’ve said it before, but it bears repeating; the GS handles in ways a two-story building was never meant to.

Taking collections for Faye Butler Training please spare some change.

www.kmotorwerks.com

Remember red and yellow make orange.so to think orange is better means you have to use two steps to get there.
________
seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:05 PM   #12
Colorado
Trail Boss

Oddometer: 1,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinfish
I like the look of the xt250 a lot. Other bikes to look at before deciding:

TW200 -- better in the sand (those big fat tires), much worse on the freeway, cheaper, smaller engine.

XT225 -- superseded by the XT250, but can still be found new in dealerships with good discounting, six speed gearbox, a bit lighter than the XT250, very good aftermarket support.

Honda CR230L -- don't confuse with the off-road only bike with the similar name (crf230, I think); looks very well put together, has gotten good reviews, similar low seat height, aftermarket not very developed yet but if it sells well will be.

KLR250 -- higher seat height may be a deal-breaker, but it will be better offroad than most of the other options.
Good advice. And don't forget to look at:

Kawasaki Super Sherpa, aka KL250 (not to be confused with a KLR250). Street legal, 6 speed, aluminum swingarm and F and R disk brakes. A little short for me (5'9") but a great bike. Only imported into the US from 2000 to 2003 but low mileage examples are around.

Yamaha WR250R or WR250X. Newly introduced, the R is a dual sport and the X is a supermoto. Both are street legal, 6 speeds, fuel injected, high tech and low maintenance, with great suspensions.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:16 PM   #13
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdM
Moto:

Zero to 60 was 10.35 seconds.

They did comment "...can actually keep up with fast freeway traffic." but one of the "pans" was "Flat out on the freeway, the knobbies hurt stability slightly"

Ned

(sorry I didn't respond sooner but two of the grandchildren are visiting and were monopolizying the computer)

Thanks. I have this thing for the 0 to 60 times, it seems to me a good indicator of being able to keep up (or lose) traffic. For a few months I had a Vespa ET4, slow as molasses for my needs with local traffic. I had a VTR250 Honda and a KLR250 and both were great with traffic.

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
and as PDF here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 03:58 PM   #14
qwiksilver OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sounds like a good bike for me. It felt like it would be. I liked the way the weight balanced under me just sitting. It felt like it fit. It's only 1" taller in the seat than the Zuma scooter and only about 50 pounds heavier. I just don't want something that is going to get too beat up if I do some freeway riding. Yes, the tires will get changed out. Stealership tires always suck on any vehicle...period.

My freeway needs are pretty minimal since I work 4 miles from home and don't use a freeway to get there, but there are those times I want to pop down to Long Beach from Hollywood or ride up to Malibu...maybe Santa Barbara...definately the two hours to Big Bear (great trails...take the Jeep up there when I can). I'm used to doing 55-60mph anyway. The Jeep eats too much gas after 60. You get a zen attitude about being slow.

I'm a half an inch from going down and starting the paperwork. The insurance is only about $60 a year more than the Zuma. I'm ready to dump my Netflix and Audible accounts to pay for it. I'll dump the internet on the cell phone and text messaging if I have to. I'll need $250 to go through the state course for my M1 license (I'm M2 at the moment.) So a day off to go get permit, sign for the bike, yadda yadda yadda...thank god I don't use my vacation time for vacations.

Getting the bike home in one piece should be fun. I haven't ridden a manual transmission bike in years...and then I wasn't very good at it (newb). I'll have to try to sneak it home via side streets, or what passes for side streets around here, then lots of Sunday morning seat time.

Someone at work just said "Buy the bike fercrissakes."

Thank you everyone.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:02 PM   #15
Tinfish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado
Good advice. And don't forget to look at:

Kawasaki Super Sherpa, aka KL250 (not to be confused with a KLR250). Street legal, 6 speed, aluminum swingarm and F and R disk brakes. A little short for me (5'9") but a great bike. Only imported into the US from 2000 to 2003 but low mileage examples are around.

Yamaha WR250R or WR250X. Newly introduced, the R is a dual sport and the X is a supermoto. Both are street legal, 6 speeds, fuel injected, high tech and low maintenance, with great suspensions.
I didn't mention those because the Sherpa is available used only, and it sounded like the OP was looking to buy new; the WR is a sweet, sweet bike (I stop in to drool on one every week or two) but is about 50% more money and is TALL.

If the price on the XT250 is good, that is a bike that should last you a long time. And if there is anyone around that still has an XT225 on the floor, take a look at it -- ergonomics are almost the same, six speed gearbox, great reputation.
Tinfish is offline   Reply With Quote