Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2010, 07:40 PM   #1531
yamalama
wet coaster

Oddometer: 1,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olas
Anyone get rid of the huge tail section (fender/taillight) on their XT and replace it with something that looks a little better and less bulky? Interested to see some pictures if you guys have any.
The edge tail light works and looks great. Heck of a lot lighter as well.
yamalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:24 PM   #1532
Bandit240
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Ill get a picture of the way i mounted it in a bit. As for the pelican case, i made my own holes right where the rubber rack slipped in at.
Bandit240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:29 PM   #1533
InfiniteMiles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdsh
I just sold my '95 Yamaha TT600 which is actually an XT600 engine within an Italian frame and plastics.
Did a lot of changes and modifications.
That bike looks great, a doomsday bike if I have ever seen one!
InfiniteMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:46 AM   #1534
Mezo
Banned

Oddometer: 2,129
Question Paint Code For A 3AJ

G-Day all,

Id like to say ive read all through this thread, i wish i had the hours but sadly i don`t. Im putting together (in weeks) an 88 3AJ, see thread.

Anyone know the paint code so i can get the tins painted (blue).

Cheers,

Mezo.
Mezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:47 PM   #1535
Whorepedo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
I have no affiliation to this bike other than stumbling across it on ebay. This is the cleanest XT600 i've ever seen!! Immaculate! I hope its ok to post this link. Im not doing it to sell anything, just to point out this perfect example of an old XT.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamah...item335a25f915
Old 02-15-2010, 02:41 AM   #1536
mr bones
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Time to start

This is was my Dad's bike for commuting & now I'm going to turn it into my adventure toy. It's been in my shed since mid 2007.

It's a 92 XT 600 only got 53,000K's on it.

Run's great just need a new starter solenoid. Of course I'll do the oil & filter. New chain & Sprockets.

I'll grab some good off road rubber.
Will keep you posted.
mr bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:07 AM   #1537
Mezo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bones

Where about`s are ya Bones? ya need to fill out your profile

Hey your dog`s got a big set of balls on him eh

Mezo.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:27 AM   #1538
peak

Oddometer: 35
new guy here, weirdly excited about my first post on this here thread... recently acquired a friends 89 xt600. Rode a Honda Shadow many moons ago, but never worked on it, but I'm looking forward (i think) to wrenching on this thing...I have the Clymer manual, and I've downloaded the shop manual that has been posted here, but I have NOT read through all 100 pages of this thread, I am only on page 73. not surprisingly, I have many questions:

-I live on the Western Slope of Colorado, near Grand Junction. anybody out there have feedback re: local shops, services? anybody want to come over and drink beer and give me advice? go on a ride?

-The choke is VERY sticky. the thumb lever doesn't work, so I have to reach down and finger the actual mechanism on the carb. One guy said the cable needed replacement, another guy said the cable was fine, and the problem was gunk in the carb. anybody have experience with this?

-the horn doesn't work and the blinkers will turn on, but not blink.

-shocks seem a bit soft to me (6'5", 210lbs.). Is adjusting the shocks a job this rookie can handle? Can I handle ANY of these jobs?

-previous owner spray painted all the plastic. not that it really bothers me, but is there an easy way to strip the paint from the plastic?

Looking forward to a long and turbulent relationship with y'all, this thread, and ADV in general..
peak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:49 PM   #1539
Gobby
Trust Me!

Oddometer: 407
Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by peak
new guy here, weirdly excited about my first post on this here thread...
Looking forward to a long and turbulent relationship with y'all, this thread, and ADV in general..
Welcome to the Mad House...............!

Lets Ride
Gobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:39 PM   #1540
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
Quote:
-The choke is VERY sticky. the thumb lever doesn't work, so I have to reach down and finger the actual mechanism on the carb. One guy said the cable needed replacement, another guy said the cable was fine, and the problem was gunk in the carb. anybody have experience with this?

-shocks seem a bit soft to me (6'5", 210lbs.). Is adjusting the shocks a job this rookie can handle? Can I handle ANY of these jobs?

-previous owner spray painted all the plastic. not that it really bothers me, but is there an easy way to strip the paint from the plastic?

While I am in the same boat as you and have alot more questions then advice at this point, all I can say is welcome!

Also, Ive had the carb apart quite a few times on mine already, they are actually very easy to work on!
Getting them to work right, well Ill let ya know when that happens for me haha.

Also, we need pics!!
preppypyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:39 PM   #1541
mr bones
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezo
Where about`s are ya Bones? ya need to fill out your profile

Hey your dog`s got a big set of balls on him eh

Mezo.
Yep just like his daddy.

I'm near Lake Macquarie mate just south of Newcastle.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:53 PM   #1542
mr bones
Adventurer

Now she's all back together & started fine with a new starter solenoid.
I've changed the oil & filter. All that needs doing I think is to re-foam & cover my seat. Then for some rego. Hopefully in the next fortnight.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:45 PM   #1543
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 980
Quote:
new guy here, weirdly excited about my first post on this here thread... recently acquired a friends 89 xt600. Rode a Honda Shadow many moons ago, but never worked on it, but I'm looking forward (i think) to wrenching on this thing...I have the Clymer manual, and I've downloaded the shop manual that has been posted here, but I have NOT read through all 100 pages of this thread, I am only on page 73. not surprisingly, I have many questions:

-I live on the Western Slope of Colorado, near Grand Junction. anybody out there have feedback re: local shops, services? anybody want to come over and drink beer and give me advice? go on a ride?

Choke: Try to lube the choke cable, should make it better if its the cable. Engine oil, wd40, chainlube...it all works.

Horn: Try to run wires directly from the battery to the horn, this way you can test if the horn itself works.

Blinker: could be the flash relay gone stuck, try to replace.

Shock: yeah really easy. Theres 2 nuts under the srping on the shock. The top one is the adjuster nut, and the bottom one is a lock nut, tightened up agains the adjuster nut, to make sure it doesn't move. Loosen the lock nut, and tighten the adjuster. Then tighten the locknut up.

Hope it works, otherwise, ask.
JensEskildsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:56 AM   #1544
mr bones
Adventurer

Ok so I've redone my seat. It's not flash but It will do.
I chucked some extra padding in there for comfort.
After a quick go with some 4X4 wash t came up ok.

Looking from the rear.

Almost ready for a thrash through the bush.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:32 AM   #1545
Mezo
Banned

Whats did you use for extra padding & telephone book?

Mezo.