Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2010, 12:22 PM   #1576
sonnyboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Hi all the XT Gurus, What is the airpressure to be on front forks and is it true that the air should only be supplied with a handpump. Thanks for all the good reading.
sonnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:49 PM   #1577
Kobac
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyboy
Hi all the XT Gurus, What is the airpressure to be on front forks and is it true that the air should only be supplied with a handpump. Thanks for all the good reading.
Standard air pressure:
0kPa (0 kg/cm2 , 0 psi)
Maximum air pressure:
100kPa (1.0 kg/cm2 , 14.2 psi)

This is from XT600 '89 owner's manual.
To increase use an air pump or pressuarized air supply.
Kobac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:27 PM   #1578
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,595
Thumb

Got a ride in last week. 45 degrees F tops. Still had a great ride, went about 100 miles. Just planned on riding to the DMV and renewing tabs. The Tourmaster jacket I bought last summer is F'n sweet!

I had an issue with my decomp, but I found the nut that holds it in place came loose. So I put a lockwasher on it. 34k miles! Hopefully I will be the first with 50k on the old dog...
D.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:22 PM   #1579
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
I actually got to go for a nice little ride the other day too, it was above zero up here so I thought what the hell!

Also found out my oil isnt flowing through the tank, so it looks like im going to pull the clutch and check the oil pump.

What do you guys use for a clutch tool, for those of you guys who has not bought one?
preppypyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:47 PM   #1580
Ratchdaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Sold my VStrom and bought XT600

I sold my 04 DL650 Vstrom Friday night and tonight I came home with a 1989 XT600 with 5200 miles on it. I live in the desert and my VStrom always made me feel a little guilty when I went down in soft sand. I put 45K on it on the street though. I wanted something I could play with so I bought this old beasty. It only has 5k miles on it. I rode it tonight but I havent really had a chance to check it out thoroughly yet. I love this forum so I will be checking it out to see what I should be looking for to avoid problems.
Ratchdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:35 AM   #1581
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Quote:
Originally Posted by preppypyro
What do you guys use for a clutch tool, for those of you guys who has not bought one?
Air impact wrench is what I use. Do you need to remove the basket to inspect the oil pump?
Old 03-09-2010, 01:11 PM   #1582
gtackett
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 700
Can't remove the cylinder ??!!

I'm having trouble getting the cylinder to slide off. I've removed 2 bolts from left side and 2 nuts from the right side. Repeated rubber mallet beating doesn't seem to help.

Any suggestions?
gtackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:07 PM   #1583
gtackett
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtackett
I'm having trouble getting the cylinder to slide off.

At the risk of looking stupid, I didn't see the 2 hidden "special" nuts. Removed them and the cylinder slid right off!

Oh, well. Now I know. I only broke off one fin beating the time out of the cylinder trying to get it off.
gtackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:11 PM   #1584
netjustin
b00b

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
At the risk of looking stupid, I didn't see the 2 hidden "special" nuts. Removed them and the cylinder slid right off!

Oh, well. Now I know. I only broke off one fin beating the time out of the cylinder trying to get it off.
At least they weren't the mini bolts on the timing side that you missed. That would have left your scrwdrz!
netjustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:02 PM   #1585
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T.
Air impact wrench is what I use. Do you need to remove the basket to inspect the oil pump?
Im not sure what you call a basket...

Ive never really worked on this xt before, most of my experience has been with old 2 stroke bikes!

If an impact works though, that will be great!
preppypyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:31 PM   #1586
rossf650dakar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 941
Everything old is new again ...

Maybe I should have posted this makeover in this thread. But for those XT lovers who missed it, it's here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=556824

Pretty damn happy with it, I have to say!
rossf650dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:13 AM   #1587
GeoffE
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Question Super Ténéré front-end on a XT600 Ténéré?

Hi,

I have just joined the forum, although I have owned my '88 XT600Z-3AJ Ténéré since 2002.

Does anybody have experience of putting a XTZ750 Super Ténéré front-end on a XT600 Ténéré?

I would like to "beef-up" the front-end, and the "super-10" 43mm forks and improved braking would appear to be a good way to go (for my mainly road riding)?

I was wondering whether the triple-trees/yokes would fit the headstock without modifying the stem? The top and bottom headstock bearings look to be the same, but I don't know about the stem length?

Fyi, I was thinking of retaining a WM1/1.60 XT600Z front rim size, rather than using the wider WM2/1.85 rim size of the XTZ750. Effectively lacing a XT600Z rim to the XTZ750 hub, to keep the same balance/handling.

I would appreciate any feedback & information. (Fyi, I did try a couple of searches first, "unsuccessfully"). Thanks.

Geoff
GeoffE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:29 AM   #1588
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Quote:

Found them the hard way eh?

I was going to remove the studs from my cylinder head to surface it but damn, they were welded in. Steel studs into aluminum heads for 25 years without any antiseize? I may have been able to heat the head and double nut the stud, but $5 bucks the stud will twist off right at the head.

From what I've learned over the years if something isn't coming off like it should, you have to step away and re think things or usually you end up doing more harm than good. What's worse if some one is rushing you and you F up a part when you should have F'd up the ahole who was on you to get it done in a hurry.

Murphys law me thinks about the worst possible thing can and will happen.

D.T. screwed with this post 03-10-2010 at 05:35 AM
Old 03-10-2010, 05:43 AM   #1589
motorjon68
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
Just an FYI, I have one of my XTs in the flea market.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:28 PM   #1590
PistolPete
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Does anyone have oil cooler suggestions? Do these bikes really benefit from one?
PistolPete is offline   Reply With Quote