Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2010, 06:50 PM   #1591
netjustin
b00b

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolPete
Does anyone have oil cooler suggestions? Do these bikes really benefit from one?
There are some euro peeps who have modified the XT engine to run the same oil radiator as the SRX. The sites, links, and details escape me but I also wonder if any ADV'ers have tried this.
netjustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:39 AM   #1592
GeoffE
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Does anyone have oil cooler suggestions?
Kedo offer a couple of off-the-shelf kits. See: http://www.kedo.com/ssl/php/function...eite%2F043.pdf

Geoff
GeoffE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:50 AM   #1593
cuvy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Do these bikes really benefit from one?
I've never really had any issues without an oil cooler, although i change my oil every 3000kms or thereabouts and oil over-temp isn't the easiest thing to quantify. certainly i could see the benefits of the additional oil capacity and extra cooling though. i believe the XT has a larger oil tank than the SRX, which helps make up for the lack of an oil cooler.

I'd certainly be interested to hear of experiences of those who have installed an oil cooler - queensland summers are probably a bit rough on my XT's oil.

Phil
cuvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:34 AM   #1594
gtackett
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 699
Moisture??

I'm guessing this is due to moisture building up under the clutch cover? This is an 1986 model, and to my knowledge the cover has never been off in it's 24 years!

This sludge was only on the cover, it wasn't on the clutch, or any of the gears.

gtackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:33 PM   #1595
amc3604me
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by netjustin
You've already checked the plug; some other things to check (in order of easiest to hardest):

-Battery
-Plug cap and wire end
-Coil

Check the voltage at the battery, with ignition off but still connected. What do you see?

It's not uncommon for the XT's spark plug wires to corrode at the cap. You can even unscrew the spark plug cap (lefty loosey) and check its resistance with a multimeter. Depending on what you find, you may decide to clean and reterminate a bit back on the plug wire.

From the manual:

If battery, plug, and cap look good the next easiest test is the coil:

GLUCK!
well i checked all those things and got9.36 on the plug wire,
3.6 on the coil and 13.28 on the secondary coil. still no spark, how can i tell if the black box went bad, any help is much appreciated
well i checked all th
amc3604me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 12:58 AM   #1596
Ratchdaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Sold Vstrom Bought 89 XT600

Crazy as it sounds I did just that. The VStrom was in fact the best overall motorcycle I have owned in 20+ years of daily motorcycling. I put 45,000 miles on her. It was a great bike for commuting, Ironbutts, camping, curvies, etc. The one area that it was lacking was offroad, especially in soft sand. I live in the desert and the shortest distance to anywhere involves dirt roads full of soft sand and I would often try to muscle the Strom through different roads. No fun and scary. So I sold it on Friday and bought this 89 XT600 on Monday. I have commuted to work on it all week. The cool part is the kick start. The cooler part is that unlike my old Harley, this bike starts on the first or second kick. I have taken it through some of the old roads that I wouldnt take my VStrom on and I am already in love. I sure do miss the luggage capacity and wind protection of the Vstrom, but for now I am having a blast.
Ratchdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 04:30 AM   #1597
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc3604me
well i checked all those things and got9.36 on the plug wire,
3.6 on the coil and 13.28 on the secondary coil. still no spark, how can i tell if the black box went bad, any help is much appreciated
well i checked all th
You have to check the pulser coils too. Also you have to make sure the ignition coil and CDI are getting +12VDC.

Also the spark plug cap is important.
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 05:57 AM   #1598
upweekis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,385
XT600 kick start

For those who have kick start 600s, what is your cold start ritual?
Old 03-14-2010, 06:57 AM   #1599
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,177
Wicked yamaha 600s

Quote:
Originally Posted by upweekis
Turn key on [XT] pull choke out, turn gas on, pull Make sure kill botton is on, swing side stand up, kick 2-3 times over, and a good full kick!! And we are going
On my TT600, turn gas on, kick 2-3 times over, pull choke out, and a good full kick and we are going
Just have fresh gas, new spark plug, clean air filter most times you can get her going. My 2 cents!! Thump Om!!!
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:14 AM   #1600
sonnyboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Wink moisture oil build up

gtackett, whats the oil look like, ive seen that b4 from driving through water.Flush and change oil.
sonnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:52 AM   #1601
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratchdaddy
. I sure do miss the luggage capacity and wind protection of the Vstrom, but for now I am having a blast.

http://www.ceebaileys.com/baja_design/index.html
Should be able to make it fit the OEM number plate.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:40 PM   #1602
Mark.F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
@ upweekis For those who have kick start 600s, what is your cold start ritual?

Pretty much the same technique as Big Ed,although if mine's not been used all week it can take a few kicks to fire.If it's been used in the previous couple of days it usually fires up in a couple of kicks.Always slowly kick it over until you feel the piston just go over TDC then give it full choke, NO throttle and a strong kick.You do'nt need to be built like a gorrila to fire it up I'm only about 145 pounds and it works for me.
When it's warm the bikes so easy to start sometimes it fires up when I'm still trying to get to TDC
thump thump thump!
Mark
Mark.F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 03:51 PM   #1603
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by upweekis
Mines a little different, its XT550 electrics, and carb on a TT600 engine.
When its cold cycle through a few times, then just crack the throttle, kick HARD! it will burp once, repeat, It typically will be running by the third HARD kick when not to cold out.
When its below freezing outside. All bets are off. Just let me find a hill and push it.

Once warm its a one kick running ordeal, with the occasional WTF it didn't start then it can be coerced into running with a HARD KICK and WOT.
All is happy again.

I should put the TT600 carb on it. the 550 carb is jetted a bit lean. I actually cleaned up the 600 carb but decided to go riding instead of changing it.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 05:58 PM   #1604
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,437
Wink

Ride Report with out pictures.

Finally broke 50 degrees here. Went for a 150 mile ride. Doin' my usual slabbin' through the city to get back home at about 60 mph on the freeway. Look in the buzzy Acerbis rear wiew and a cop is there. F##k. Slow down to posted speed limit and just watch the dude. All the sudden the disco lights come on. Pull over. I ask "how fast was I going?" and he says, "I didn't pull you over for speeding. You weren't using your turn signals." I say, well, you are correct. I take full responsibility. (as 3 crotch rockets go flying by). I show my proof of insurance and get a tounge lashing, but the copper lets me go with a warning!

These things are dangerous!

Then I ran out of gas on reserve. 151 miles? I know where a fuel station up the road is, so I tilt the XT to the left and hope there was enough fuel left to get me 1/2 mile up the road. What do you know, It starts up and I made it to the gas station!

Fun.
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:19 AM   #1605
Double_Supercool
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
My new baby

First bike in around 7 years, a '91 XT600E, and my first off road bike as an introduction to touring. I picked her up cheap looking like this:

I am still new to fixing bikes (complete novice), so I signed up for a basic maintenance course. We pulled a few things apart and found a fiew issues (rear sprocket carrier, some bearings, front wheel bearings, steering head bearings, linkage, sprockets and chain). I was initially freaking out, but our mechanic teacher said it should be cool, so I am sourcing parts and next weekend I should be able to fix a lot of it myself with a bit of help :)

-Philip Marlowe
Double_Supercool is offline   Reply With Quote