Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2010, 01:30 PM   #1606
netjustin
b00b

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_Supercool
First bike in around 7 years, a '91 XT600E, and my first off road bike as an introduction to touring. I picked her up cheap looking like this:
I have never seen an XT running a Givi-style hard bag like that. You'll spend a few $$ replacing those bearings and running gear and the like but it's a good safety decision. And won't cost terribly much since you're doing the work yourself.

Nice find!!
netjustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:34 PM   #1607
Double_Supercool
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Re: the bag. Yeah, it is an RJays brand (not sure if that is over the USA, Pakistani I think but sold a lot in Australia, kind of cheap though). I am probably going to take it off so I can strap my camping gear there.

I was a bit worried about the extra cost, but I don't think it will be too bad and it *is* an old bike. I am actually looking forward to doing the work as then I will know that *I* did it and how to fix it if things go pear-shaped again :)

-Philip Marlowe
Double_Supercool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:46 PM   #1608
pio
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Clutch Servicing Newbie

Yo! I'm trying to service the clutch on my 89 xt600.. here's the story.. the clutch was always really loose on this bike since I got it over a year ago. Then a couple months ago it started legitimately slipping. Then, shortly after that, I noticed that when I'd let the clutch lever out and engage first gear that the process of releasing the clutch lever was accompanied by a rattling emanating from the clutch. As soon as first gear was fully engaged the noise would disappear. It happened a little bit clutching second too..

Now I'm relatively certain that I need to replace my plates. I took the clutch plates out and they look pretty worn.. I have it all apart now.

But I worry about that rattle, is it possible that I have a bearing that needs replacement or something? I'd just hate to order plates, put it all back together, only to find the rattling noise is still there. How could I tell? Is it possible for worn clutch plates to slap in to each other, causing a rattle?

http://pio.longstair.com/misc/DSCF3182.JPG

pio screwed with this post 03-18-2010 at 11:02 PM
pio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:45 AM   #1609
Mark.F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
PIO
I do'nt think your clutch plates should rattle,not unless you've got a dry clutch conversion .
It's quite difficult to diagnose over the internet,was the cable sticking,was the clutch lever releasing properly?
When you took the clutch plates off the bike ,were they stuck together?
Do they have that burned smell to them?
Try and move the clutch basket on it's shaft,any play there,the locknut has'nt backed off eh?
Can you see any wear marks on either the inner or outer basket?
I know that's a few questions but it's difficult working something out without seeing it.My own bike is a early kicker XT I think the clutch was one of the few things that did'nt rattle..
Mark
Mark.F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:10 AM   #1610
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,854
re: clutch rattle

Could be that your clutch basket bushing is worn out. It sits on the shaft, inside of the basket. You could check by taking off the side cover, grabbing the clutch assembly and feeling for any play. If you feel play or if it feels wobbly then it is more than likely worn out.
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:19 AM   #1611
pio
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark.F
PIO
I do'nt think your clutch plates should rattle,not unless you've got a dry clutch conversion .
It's quite difficult to diagnose over the internet,was the cable sticking,was the clutch lever releasing properly?
No stick, it was releasing properly.
Quote:
When you took the clutch plates off the bike ,were they stuck together?
Do they have that burned smell to them?
Yes, they were stuck together. The assembly did smell somewhat burned when I first took off the clutch cover.
Quote:
Try and move the clutch basket on it's shaft,any play there,the locknut has'nt backed off eh?
The clutch basket does move a teeny bit.. less than a millimeter but it does move slightly.
Quote:
Can you see any wear marks on either the inner or outer basket?
EDIT: Yeah actually there are wear marks on both the basket and the inner "clutch boss". The fingers on the basket have wear grooves worn in to them (maybe .5 mm deep) and a couple of the boss splines have small notches on the inside (like, farthest from the pressure plate). And holy crap, the replacement parts are expensive!

I guess when I put on the new steel plates I could avoid putting their teeth on the damaged splines of the clutch boss. I don't see any damage or noticeable wear on the teeth of the old plates that corresponds to the notches.

Suggestions? I still have yet to remove the basket assembly and inspect the parts beneath, I'll do that later.

pio screwed with this post 03-19-2010 at 12:45 PM
pio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:32 AM   #1612
Loch Sloy!
n00b

Oddometer: 6
I'm looking for a 20 or 23L tank for my xt600e (1990) I can't seem to find one in North America. Anybody have any leads?
cheers
Loch Sloy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:09 PM   #1613
netjustin
b00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loch Sloy!
I'm looking for a 20 or 23L tank for my xt600e (1990) I can't seem to find one in North America. Anybody have any leads?
cheers
Justgastanks.com sold me a 5.5gal Acerbis tank. It fits great, is lighter than stock, and has dual(ing) petcocks. The only thing I would add to it is fuel foam and maybe a notch on the right side to clear the throttle plate. It currently rubs my throttle plate although I am using an aftermarket carb. Price was ~$350 shipped if I remember correctly but took 4 months to ship from mfg in Italy.

Other thoughts.... Clark might have a model that fits the XT600E but I've only seen one for the pre-1990 XT.

Check ebay to cover your "best price" options.

Good luck.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:20 PM   #1614
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,960
just in case you XT fans are looking......

1982 xt550 in LA for sale.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...8#post12451938

Is it really if it's cool?

Old 03-20-2010, 08:17 AM   #1615
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,272
Wink

I won a rotor off a TT 600 on fleabay for $10!

I'm going to see if it works on my XT. I'd say the TT rotor is at least 1-2 lb. lighter. I hope it makes it rev a lot quicker! I noticed there is a timing difference as far as advance in the midrange, but I think the CDI controls it, not the location of the pickups. Words of advice, be carful not to offset the puller when pulling because you can mess up the threads, which I did a little bit. And heat up the center boss REALLY WELL to get it to pop off. Here is the difference in size of the two rotors....
Attached Images

D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:55 AM   #1616
netjustin
b00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T.
I won a rotor off a TT 600 on fleabay for $10!

I'm going to see if it works on my XT. I'd say the TT rotor is at least 1-2 lb. lighter. I hope it makes it rev a lot quicker! I noticed there is a timing difference as far as advance in the midrange, but I think the CDI controls it, not the location of the pickups. Words of advice, be carful not to offset the puller when pulling because you can mess up the threads, which I did a little bit. And heat up the center boss REALLY WELL to get it to pop off. Here is the difference in size of the two rotors....
Good job getting yours off. Took my engine guy more than 48 hours of waiting, tapping, heat cycles, etc to get that puppy off. Said he had "300 pounds" of force. I was too skurrd to ask if he meant 300 lb tension and not ft-lb on the puller bolt.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:51 PM   #1617
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,272
I ran into another little issue. Pickup clearance. The TT uses a different ignition pickup assembly since the diameter of the rotor is smaller than the XT's.

I will have to find a TT pickup or modify my XT's inward to offset it so it "sees" the sensors. Anyone have an extra TT600 pickup laying around they want to sell me?

Fun!

D.T. screwed with this post 03-20-2010 at 08:08 PM
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:02 PM   #1618
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T.
I ran into another little issue. Pickup clearance. The TT uses a different pickup assembly since the diameter of the rotor is smaller than the XT's.

I will have to find a TT pickup or modify my XT's inward to offset it so it "sees" the sensors. Anyone have an extra TT600 pickup laying around they want to sell me?

Fun!
The TT600 appeared identical to my XT550 except the stator was a 6V unit instead of 12v. The XT550 stator would fit in the TT600 also.
I didn't try the TT600 flywheel with my 550 electrics though. To many stories about broken foots and such from getting wrong, but I did compare the two and the timing and keyway appeared in the same place as the 550.

Good luck.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:55 AM   #1619
Kobac
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Kickstart Oil Seal

Does anybody knows dimension of Kickstart Oil Seal for Yamaha XT600 2kf?
Kobac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:12 PM   #1620
GeoffE
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobac
Please double-check, but I think it is 20 x 30 x 7.
The Yamaha part# is 93102-20108-00, if that helps?

Geoff
GeoffE is offline   Reply With Quote