Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2010, 02:42 PM   #1636
GordyMN
b00n-E

Oddometer: 244
[QUOTE=D.T.]Custom KTMXT I saw on Supermoto junkie, pretty sweet!

Shawing !

Just when I'm thinking of trading "up" to a KLR ... that's pure evil !
OK, ... I love my 85' XT again !
GordyMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:26 AM   #1637
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 967
That looks sick.

D.T:

Sorry that you didnt really gain anything, one would have thought so. Have you one other mods to the bike? Im thinking, if its stock, it might not be ablo to rev faster, because at cant get enough air/fuel in, and get it out again. Perhaps some rejetting and another exhaust could help?

I just really want this to work for you, as I've had the exact same thoughts.
JensEskildsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:10 AM   #1638
gtackett
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 700
Odd feeling while engine breaking????

Just in the last few days I've noticed an odd feeling in the handlebars of the XT. When letting off the throttle then back on again fairly quickly (w/o shifting) I'm feeling an odd almost twist or turn of the handle bars while the forks do the normal nose dive.

Everything seems tight, forks have equal air pressure within specified range.

As I just put in a new set of piston rings they appear to be seating now that I have put about 300 miles on it since the rebuild. There appears to be more compression noticed while kick starting now. Which I would assume would add to the engine breaking feeling, just not sure about the twisting.

Other possible issues? My chain slider on top front of swing arm must have shattered and flew off recently. I'm currently running multiple layers of duct tape covered in grease until I receive another slider. Could the chain rubbing the swing arm while engine braking give this odd feeling?

Any thoughts on other possibilities? I should be getting the new/used slider from a fellow ADVer soon.
gtackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:26 PM   #1639
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Perhaps you need a fresh set of rubbermounts to the handlebar.

Theese are aftermarke ones: http://kedo.com/products/40701.html

The stock clambs is mounted into a some rubber, which get....well...kinda rotten over time.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:48 PM   #1640
gtackett
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JensEskildsen
Perhaps you need a fresh set of rubbermounts to the handlebar.

Theese are aftermarke ones: http://kedo.com/products/40701.html

The stock clambs is mounted into a some rubber, which get....well...kinda rotten over time.
I hadn't thought of that, and I'm sure they are shot. They have always had movement, I'll look this evening if they feel like there is more movement than in the past. It's a thought, but I think I can feel it in the whole bike not just in the bars. Hard problem to describe.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:37 AM   #1641
netjustin
b00b

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtackett
Just in the last few days I've noticed an odd feeling in the handlebars of the XT. When letting off the throttle then back on again fairly quickly (w/o shifting) I'm feeling an odd almost twist or turn of the handle bars while the forks do the normal nose dive.
I've heard that this can happen if/when the forks are adjusted or removed, and upon retightening the triples there is a difference in direction of the left and right sides. In other words, the weight of the forks is not being supported from beneath for tightening, or at least not evenly between both sides.

Solution to that would be to use a jack to get zero weight on the front end, so the forks and wheel are perfectly balanced. Loosen the upper and lower triples just enough to spin the inner fork tube, and retighten back to spec, 17 lb-ft for 1990-95 XT600, and recheck the symptom.
netjustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:14 AM   #1642
gtackett
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by netjustin
I've heard that this can happen if/when the forks are adjusted or removed, and upon retightening the triples there is a difference in direction of the left and right sides. In other words, the weight of the forks is not being supported from beneath for tightening, or at least not evenly between both sides.

Solution to that would be to use a jack to get zero weight on the front end, so the forks and wheel are perfectly balanced. Loosen the upper and lower triples just enough to spin the inner fork tube, and retighten back to spec, 17 lb-ft for 1990-95 XT600, and recheck the symptom.
I originally thought it felt as though the forks weren't balanced, that so I checked the air pressure in each and they were balanced. Also, the seals are not leaking. I may try to loosen the triple clamps, spin, and re-tighten. I did ride in the woods some last week and may have hit a log or something and jarred them???

So with that, a clutch beginning to slip, and a chain slider missing and occasionally dragging on my swingarm..... there just seems to be alot of variables.

Or, am I over analyzing and should I just quit thinking so much about an odd feeling that I produce only at certain times?
Old 04-08-2010, 07:03 AM   #1643
netjustin
b00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtackett
Or, am I over analyzing and should I just quit thinking so much about an odd feeling that I produce only at certain times?
I guess it's possible that they are related. Would it help to get the front end to dip and rise with the clutch pulled in, i.e. with the front brakes? I'm just thinking process of elimination..

Also, be sure and ask or look up the torque spec for your triple clamp bolts, because the 17 lb-ft figure is for an XT600E which does not have a valve stem on the top of the forks. Might be different for 1984-89.

HTH
justin
Old 04-08-2010, 07:47 AM   #1644
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by JensEskildsen
That looks sick.

D.T:

Sorry that you didn't really gain anything, one would have thought so. Have you one other mods to the bike? I'm thinking, if its stock, it might not be ablo to rev faster, because at cant get enough air/fuel in, and get it out again. Perhaps some rejetting and another exhaust could help?

I just really want this to work for you, as I've had the exact same thoughts.
I have had the bike on a dyno, I got 35 rwhp, but jetting was rich on top, so I went BACK to stock, 125 main jet (135 on dyno). I think it's still rich over 5k rpm, so I'd like to get a leaner SECONDARY main jet, a 125 (stock 130) but it's $25 bucks. I am looking for THIS Yamaha part # 5Y1-14343-63-00 if you can beat $20 shipped I'll buy it from you.

I still would like the TT CDI to see if the timing difference will help. Can't find a deal on one yet...

Or maybe a TT cam. Not sure of the overlap differences, but cam height seems to be the same as the XT. Hell, I might as well just buy a TT. Local place (www.sportwheel.com) has 2 of them but he wants $2000 each for them...

D.T. screwed with this post 04-09-2010 at 03:35 AM
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:55 PM   #1645
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

www.kedo.com (germany) has different cams for the xt aswell :)
Old 04-10-2010, 11:16 AM   #1646
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
Hey guys n gals, I have what may be an odd question regarding the lighting system.

I am in the process of getting my xt back to street legal condition, and have noticed something kinda odd.

When I hit the brake lever (hand or foot) the headlight will brighten up for a second them go back to "normal".

I have no turn signals on my bike yet, I have an aftermarket ignition, I have no battery installed yet, the kickstand switch has been disabled, and other then that stuff, the bike is stock, as far as I know. ( I do have a 1988 year motor installed, but it was doing it with the original engine too)

I have yet to start going through the wiring harness, but the harness looks good, and clean(I will be going through all the connections and double checking them yet though)

Anyone have any ideas why my bike may be doing this?
preppypyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:21 PM   #1647
gunz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by juames
I'm looking at buying this 1984 XT600...has 22000km (13750miles)...guy is asking $900cdn...

I had an '96 XT350 and loved it...how would this bike compare?

What should i be looking at with this year/model?

I'm thinking if I could pay around $500...and make it winter project...

Go Go gadget wallet!!!

buy it already.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:36 AM   #1648
snowjob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 579
XT600 Backfire at idle/low rpm

I got my 1990 XT600E last year and love it's versatility. Unfortunately, I have had an issue that I can't seem to make go away. There are three symptoms:
1. Backfire at idle (sounds like an intermittent pfft). Problem is gone/masked with choke on.
2. Stuttering at coasting speeds. I assume this is the same as in item one, but at speed they show as stutters instead of full backfires.
3. Cannot get a steady idle.

I have been busy tweaking this thing since I got it, but nothing has fixed this issue. Things done so far:
  • Clean carbs (3x)
  • Check plug
  • Check ignition
  • Disable ignition cutouts
  • Rebuild top end
  • Adjust valves
During this last rebuild, I fixed all the other little things, so this stupid backfire is the only thing I can't resolve. My best guesses are either an exhaust leak or bad coasting enrichener. I have had both exhaust and carb apart and don't see any issues with these two items, but perhaps I just don't know enough to recognize what I see. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
snowjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:47 AM   #1649
netjustin
b00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdave
I got my 1990 XT600E last year and love it's versatility. Unfortunately, I have had an issue that I can't seem to make go away. There are three symptoms:
1. Backfire at idle (sounds like an intermittent pfft). Problem is gone/masked with choke on.
2. Stuttering at coasting speeds. I assume this is the same as in item one, but at speed they show as stutters instead of full backfires.
3. Cannot get a steady idle.
For #2, does the problem seem to disappear if you roll on throttle and begin accelerating out of that same coasting speed?

I had symptoms similar to these (all three) that all seemed to be aided by leaving the choke on. I wouldn't pull it all the way out, only part way; felt like about 25% or so choke would produce the best results in my particular case, whereas 100% choke seemed to "de-pep" the motor a bit. Rode it like that for a year before putting aftermarket carburetors on. The new carbs were not an effort to fix the stuttering problem, but they did in fact do the trick which makes me suspect my original carbs were causing the problem.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:45 PM   #1650
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

You might wanne rejet and/or adjust your're CO screw.