Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2010, 04:45 PM   #2086
doogiepooch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 945
Guys I need to interrupt the tire discussion really quickly. I posted my recently aquired XT up in post #2040 a couple weeks ago. Last night I was puling it out of the garage to go for a quick spin. Starter hit perfectly for about 3 seconds then dead silence even though I'm still pushing the button. For what it's worth battery is fine, I hooked it up to the charger and had it tested at the local auto parts store. I also hooked it to my truck to jump it so I'm virtually 100% sure it aint the battery. I also notice that in neutral it still has resistance and won't roll well. Has the starter engaged and not retracted? I can also hear and feel the sylinoid clicking when I hit the starter. Somebody told me I could shift into a higher gear and roll it backwards and it would unstick but that didn't work. I've pecked the starter repeatidly to no avail. What's some other things I can try...I don't want to have to dump $175 into a new starter. Everything else electrical still functions fine. One thing odd that may or may not have been going on previously is the rev light is on when I turn the switch on but if I turn the bars all the way to the right the light will go off. All the way to the left and it will stay on. This may or may not have anything to do with the starter issue.

doogiepooch screwed with this post 11-05-2010 at 04:52 PM
doogiepooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:19 AM   #2087
SSO42
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardbeglily
Thank you SS04. I figured out the front sprocket and really appreciate the help with the sprocket and chain question. I have one more quick question. While waiting for parts to come I have taken the swingarm off for a good cleaning and to replace a few worn parts. My question is in relation to the seal guard and collar that sits some where on the chain side of the swingarm. The diagrams don't really show where it fits exactly, mine was just spinning around in there with no real purpose. If someone has a pic of this area I would appreciate it a lot. Thanks
Sorry but i couldn't get a picture. The seal guard (5X6-22151-10-00) fits on the collar (90387-440G3-00). Then both fit on the swing arm (left side pivot). If you got them on the swing arm then I would say you got it right. It does spin around. It's purpose is to protect the aluminum swing arm from the chain. The chain protector (34L-22147-00-00) no longer reaches that portion of the swing arm so the seal guard does the protection. Hope this helps.
SSO42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:13 PM   #2088
ardbeglily
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Thanks again SS042, it looked like that is where it came from, but both parts had separated and were just hanging loosely. Thanks again for your help.
ardbeglily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:06 PM   #2089
Zahnarzt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Me Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogiepooch
Guys I need to interrupt the tire discussion really quickly. I posted my recently aquired XT up in post #2040 a couple weeks ago. Last night I was puling it out of the garage to go for a quick spin. Starter hit perfectly for about 3 seconds then dead silence even though I'm still pushing the button. For what it's worth battery is fine, I hooked it up to the charger and had it tested at the local auto parts store. I also hooked it to my truck to jump it so I'm virtually 100% sure it aint the battery. I also notice that in neutral it still has resistance and won't roll well. Has the starter engaged and not retracted? I can also hear and feel the sylinoid clicking when I hit the starter. Somebody told me I could shift into a higher gear and roll it backwards and it would unstick but that didn't work. I've pecked the starter repeatidly to no avail. What's some other things I can try...I don't want to have to dump $175 into a new starter. Everything else electrical still functions fine. One thing odd that may or may not have been going on previously is the rev light is on when I turn the switch on but if I turn the bars all the way to the right the light will go off. All the way to the left and it will stay on. This may or may not have anything to do with the starter issue.
I had some similar issues with mine when I puchased it.
It seems you have some trouble shooting to do.
1. Check and recheck all your saftey switches with a multimeter - Kickstand and clutch
2. There is a bulkhead connecter on the left side under the headlight mount. It may have a loose connection - pull apart and inspect.
3. Check the wire from the solenoid to the starter - mine was corroded
4. If you think the starter is bound up, take a set of jumpers from a good battery and ground the black and touch the red to the post on the starter !!!Please make sure it is in neutral!!!
If the starter is good it will turn over key on or not.
If you need anymore help let me know I have workshop manual somewhere.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:20 PM   #2090
Zahnarzt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Skid Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED XT FAN
If you need a skid plate for that TT 600 i have a extra here. $20.00 bucks. Will bolt right on. Thanks for the info! Thump-On!! BIG ED XT&TT 600 FAN!!

Ed

Check your PMs
Old 11-08-2010, 05:29 PM   #2091
G600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahnarzt
I had some similar issues with mine when I puchased it.
It seems you have some trouble shooting to do.
1. Check and recheck all your saftey switches with a multimeter - Kickstand and clutch
2. There is a bulkhead connecter on the left side under the headlight mount. It may have a loose connection - pull apart and inspect.
3. Check the wire from the solenoid to the starter - mine was corroded
4. If you think the starter is bound up, take a set of jumpers from a good battery and ground the black and touch the red to the post on the starter !!!Please make sure it is in neutral!!!
If the starter is good it will turn over key on or not.
If you need anymore help let me know I have workshop manual somewhere.
Very good advice. But if your starter is indeed not working you probably only have to get a new "brush set" for the starter, not a new starter. But my guess is a bad connection somewhere...
G600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 04:37 PM   #2092
ardbeglily
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
1986 XT600 carb leak

I have discovered a gas leak in the carb on my XT600 and have read on some site that the carb from another Yamaha model plugs right into the XT. The OEM carb is apparently a PITA to work on, so while I work on it I thought I might just stick in a different carb and keep riding. I think the alternate carb is from a Grizzly/Raptor perhaps. Any assistance appreciated.

ardbeglily screwed with this post 11-11-2010 at 05:45 PM
ardbeglily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:50 PM   #2093
Desertpistons
80s dakar

Oddometer: 254
carbs

My 2 cents:

I start saying that I don't know what recent yamaha model has still a Takei Carb and is available in the US

The Taikei carb is a bit more complicated (a vacum carb plus a traditional throttle carb in one unit) but it is an extremely good carb for that engine unless you race on the street and your throttle is always open.... .

Gilera RC600 and Yamaha XT/TT600 (i have both bikes) share the same carb. I know for a fact that Gileras pilots (mandelli and Menardo) at the dakar 1990 were faster using a taikei double carb than the dellorto pumpers. By the way they won the silhuette class that year. The dellorto has more power on the dyno but pilots were faster offroad with a more fluid carburetor. Funny isnt it?

The problem of that carb is the availability/ lack of parts jets-only yamaha has some spares for example but you cannot go higher than 165 on the main jet unless you use some Mikunis jets that apparently fit. The problem remain on the other main jet, the one on the vacum carb, where you are very limited on the choices. So if you have a stock bike no problem but if you modify it like mine then there are some tricks on how to tune it and deal with the jets. Also the membranes are pretty availables for these carbs. Currently I am experiencing the same problem with the Gilera Aereodinamica replika (Moby Dick) that I am building

so, I have heard of people installing the carb from the latest Yamaha xtz660 from europe or if you feel like to spend good money Sudco has a kit where they give you a mikuni kit (like the belgarda dakar bikes) and you replace the taikei ones.

If you are after performance and want to use the Stock carb, Taikei made a special version of the carb for the Gilera RC-R and that is what everyone on the Italian side of the pond are after....for both Gilera and Yamahas. I have one of those on one of my bikes
Desertpistons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:43 AM   #2094
JensEskildsen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005
As posted before, www.kedo.com has jets for both carbs, including idlejets. They also have a 600euro pumpercarb for the xt600.

I've heard of people bolting on 250 ninja carbs, and carb from the raptor atv.
JensEskildsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 03:02 AM   #2095
Mezo
Banned

Oddometer: 2,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by JensEskildsen
I've heard of people bolting on 250 ninja carbs
Luke has just done this mod last week (post 2183) on my thread, he said its really woken up the bike.

Mezo.
Mezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:41 PM   #2096
Desertpistons
80s dakar

Oddometer: 254
jets

JensEskildsen is right, kedo in Germany has stuff but it is limited in the jets choices...been there....i will check what engine does the raptor ATV uses..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JensEskildsen
As posted before, www.kedo.com has jets for both carbs, including idlejets. They also have a 600euro pumpercarb for the xt600.

I've heard of people bolting on 250 ninja carbs, and carb from the raptor atv.
Desertpistons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:51 PM   #2097
TheRadBaron
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
XT600E motor parts for sale

I'm parting out the good bits of the stock motor from my '92 XT600E. The bike has 15,000 miles on the odometer. I thought that I'd offer the parts here before going to Ebay. Here's what I have:
-Complete transmission. Everything is in good shape. The dogs look good. The splines and threads are perfect. There is some slight pitting on a few of the teeth from water in the crank case, but it shouldn't be a problem. I would run it with confidence. $80
-Complete clutch assembly. The plates look to be in good condition. The basket isn't grooved. The gear teeth are a bit rusty. They should be alright to use. $40
-Engine cases. These are in good shape except for a bit of metal that broke off that holds the cam chain guide in position. I have the piece and it could be welded back on and would be fine. Bearings probably need to be replaced. $20
-Stator cover with stator and ignition pickup. Good shape. $50
-Starter motor and associated gears and wiring. $30
-Crankshaft. I think the rod is bad, but the rest of the crank is in good shape. $20
-Other various motor bits like gears, balance shaft, shift forks and drum, shift rods/linkage, etc. Make offer.
Or $200 plus shipping for everything.
All prices do not include shipping. If you're interested in anything and would like pictures or more information, just drop me a PM. Thanks.

TheRadBaron screwed with this post 11-15-2010 at 02:59 PM
TheRadBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:54 PM   #2098
Peter M DK
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I have had some trobles on my XT 43F '85, I think the carburator was the problem. The piston have bin sized (or burned) to times.

Is there anybody who know the original jet sizes and needle numbers?

In my carburator the numbers and sizes are:

Primary:
Main jet: 130
Needle: 5C37

Sekundary:
Jet: 130
Needle: 4A71

Is this the original sizes and numbers?

The needle sittings in the carburator when the problem happend was:
Primary: Needle clip in 3/5
Sekundary: Needle clip in 4/5 (the needle was 1 up)
With this sitting the bike was running fine, but made trubles.

After this I have mounted a more open exhaust, and changed he sittings to:
Primary: Needle clip in 5/5 (the needle is in top)
Sekundary: Needle clip in 4/5 (the needle is 1 up)
It runs fine with this sitting, but I am afraid that it still is running too lean.

Anybody who know a good carburator sitting for a XT 43F with open exhaust?
Peter M DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:16 PM   #2099
JensEskildsen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005
Hey Peter (du får den lige på engelsk, så kan de andre også være med)

I found this bak in this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T.
Does anybody out there have a #125 secondary main jet for a 1985 XT 600 carburetor they want to sell? 130 is stock and I'd rather change the secondary than change the main jet.

Thanks in advance XT'ers!
So 130 on the secondary should be right.

This fellow has the same needles, and has them in the 4th notch (2nd post in the thread): http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hub...ut-65mph-23582

Have you tried to contact kedo.com or a yamaha dealer to see if the can help you out? Otherwise it might be woth it to spend an evening with uncle Google and type in something like "xt 600 43f jet, xt 600 43f carb" and stuff like that.

Then theres the german xt600 forum: http://www.xt-foren.de/forum.htm

As an other option, perhaps get a lambda sensor, I borrowed the sensor from a member of our club (Tenere) and bought a nut to fit it (10 euro from kedo) Then you KNOW if youre jetting is of, and by how far, and where you need to act (idle jet, mainjet and so on)

Good luck :)

JensEskildsen screwed with this post 11-22-2010 at 12:24 PM
JensEskildsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:44 PM   #2100
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
I have an opportunity to get a 93 XT600 for almost nothing. It has 20,000 miles on the clock, blown fork seals, and has been sitting under a porch for about 5 years. Do any of you think it would be worth picking up and trying to get running?

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote