Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2008, 09:38 AM   #211
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,914
Cleaning the oil strainer in the frame..

Hi, I just started working on this '92 xt600 that I just purchased to get back up and running...I tried to loosen the oil strainer that sits inside of the frame down tube today with out any luck... I was using a crescent wrench and a rubber mallet and I couldn't get it to budge. Is this bolt loosend by going counter-clockwise, like most bolts? Also, anyone know what size socket/wrench will fit on there?

Thanks! I hope to get this beast up and running soon! I am going to teach my friend to ride on this thing since he wants to get into dualsporting and this bike looks like it'd be a good entry level mc. It sits low and looks like it'll be a blast. I will take some pics soon.
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 12:21 AM   #212
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,355
I can't measure it on my '92 as it's in the bike,but looks to be about 24mm.A normal right hand thread.
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 02:48 PM   #213
xtphreak
from B4 "adventure bikes"

Oddometer: 7,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by asaracho
Hi, I just started working on this '92 xt600 that I just purchased to get back up and running...I tried to loosen the oil strainer that sits inside of the frame down tube today with out any luck... I was using a crescent wrench and a rubber mallet and I couldn't get it to budge. Is this bolt loosend by going counter-clockwise, like most bolts? Also, anyone know what size socket/wrench will fit on there?

Thanks! I hope to get this beast up and running soon! I am going to teach my friend to ride on this thing since he wants to get into dualsporting and this bike looks like it'd be a good entry level mc. It sits low and looks like it'll be a blast. I will take some pics soon.
it's torqued to 65 ft/lb, so it's gonna be tight ... last time I pulled one out I used a socket (sorry don't remember what size) a breaker bar with extension and a strap wrench on the frame tube to counter the twisting.
Robert A. Heinlen
Adventure is discomfort recounted at leisure. Flash / GSWayne
Chrome don't get ya home. Rob Nye
Stamp Out Hoplophobia in Our lifetimes.
1999 Tiger 885
1995 XT600E
xtphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 07:02 PM   #214
Whorepedo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
how do you know if it needs to be cleaned/changed? How often should it be checked? I never even knew it was there.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:14 PM   #215
Olas
the darkness

Oil strainer and Spark plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtphreak
it's torqued to 65 ft/lb, so it's gonna be tight ... last time I pulled one out I used a socket (sorry don't remember what size) a breaker bar with extension and a strap wrench on the frame tube to counter the twisting.
It's 27mm and I haven't got it to budge yet...mostly because I can't get a good grip to keep the whole bike from moving.. I'm going to lay the bike on its side tomorrow and try doing it that way. The only reason I want to take it out is to inspect it to see if there's any junk on it. The bike only has 5000 or so miles on it but it doesn't seem like it was maintained correctly. It's pretty rough and I'm trying to restore it at the moment.

Also, what size socket will fit on the spark plug? How are you guys getting the plug out? I played around for a bit using a few different sockets and it seems like it's a very tight fight..I could barely fit a socket and a wrench in there.

Thanks again, you guys have been helpful.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:15 PM   #216
xtphreak

Quote:
It's 27mm and I haven't got it to budge yet...mostly because I can't get a good grip to keep the whole bike from moving.. I'm going to lay the bike on its side tomorrow and try doing it that way. The only reason I want to take it out is to inspect it to see if there's any junk on it. The bike only has 5000 or so miles on it but it doesn't seem like it was maintained correctly. It's pretty rough and I'm trying to restore it at the moment.

Also, what size socket will fit on the spark plug? How are you guys getting the plug out? I played around for a bit using a few different sockets and it seems like it's a very tight fight..I could barely fit a socket and a wrench in there.

PB BLaster is your friend

also heating with a propane torch, then giving it a squirt of PB Blaster is helpful sometimes

spray it on
wait a while
spray again

tapping with a small hammer helps the penetrant into the threads sometimes

be patient

do use a strap wrench to immobilize the down tube, you don't want to twist it.

good luck
Robert A. Heinlen
1999 Tiger 885
1995 XT600E
Old 07-02-2008, 11:28 PM   #217
Whorepedo
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

It took an 18mm deep well socket along with a universal. it was a very odd reach down to the plug but once you figure it out theres nothing to it.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:14 AM   #218
roswellj
ARGHventurer

Oddometer: 802
hi all
post has double meaning, firstly to say I'm new to the site and secondly to say I have just become the proud owner of an xt600e 2002 model that has done about 23,000km. I'm just getting into riding and in particular adventure riding after spending years travelling around camping out of cars I watched the Long way down and round series and got the itch to try it on bike. Have been riding trail bikes for most of my life on private land though.
Anyway my question about the xt is simple. How many km can I expect to get out of the engine if I maintain it well before I have to do any major work. (I'm fine with simple maintenance but I'm not hugely mechanically minded so I leave it, and my hard earned money, to the proffessionals.) I just saw that a couple of people around seemed to get 100,000+km out with maybe only one or two big things go wrong or need fixing.
Pictures to come when I get the bike delivered next week.
(should also point out I just passed my bike test so now I am officially on my leaners )
roswellj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:23 AM   #219
Olas
the darkness

Welcome, roswellj! You'll find this website very useful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roswellj
hi all
post has double meaning, firstly to say I'm new to the site and secondly to say I have just become the proud owner of an xt600e 2002 model that has done about 23,000km. I'm just getting into riding and in particular adventure riding after spending years travelling around camping out of cars I watched the Long way down and round series and got the itch to try it on bike. Have been riding trail bikes for most of my life on private land though.
Anyway my question about the xt is simple. How many km can I expect to get out of the engine if I maintain it well before I have to do any major work. (I'm fine with simple maintenance but I'm not hugely mechanically minded so I leave it, and my hard earned money, to the proffessionals.) I just saw that a couple of people around seemed to get 100,000+km out with maybe only one or two big things go wrong or need fixing.
(should also point out I just passed my bike test so now I am officially on my leaners )
Old 07-03-2008, 10:05 AM   #220
Whorepedo
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
hi all
Welcome and congrats on the new XT and the decision to go riding!

The most ive seen on an XT is ~60,000 miles and it was still going strong. mine is getting close to 9000 miles and its as strong as it can be. thinking about a rebuild over the winter just for peace of mind when i go on a cross country trail ride next summer. Its probably fine as is.
Old 07-05-2008, 03:00 PM   #221
Olas
the darkness

'92 rebuild

Hey all, just wanted to say that I started a thread about my rebuild that I have going on with my '92 xt600...I'd appreciate any input you guys have, it will all be helpful!

Here's a link:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=359399
Old 07-07-2008, 12:04 PM   #222
xtphreak

my 95 has almost 24K miles on the original engine

anyone got or know of a rocker cover or rocker cover & head for sale?

mine has no motor mounts on the cylinder head (broken off by original owner??? ) and I'd love to replace.

or an 80's series motor complete? doesn't have to be running
Robert A. Heinlen
1999 Tiger 885
1995 XT600E

xtphreak screwed with this post 07-07-2008 at 12:13 PM
Old 07-09-2008, 05:47 AM   #223
roswellj
ARGHventurer

my xt600e is getting delivered tomorow. I can't wait :) pictures to come
Old 07-10-2008, 05:32 AM   #224
roswellj
ARGHventurer

So I got the bike today and had to ride it home in the dark and the rain from work, always good fun for a new bike. My main concern however is this. The bike seems slightly too high for me when its sitting there. I can get on and off it but getting on involves jumping up onto the footpeg and hoisting myself over. Once I'm actually on I can touch the ground with both feet, not flat foot mind you, but i can touch one foot flat foot at a time at least.
My question is, is there any way of slightly lowering the bike? I already have a lower seat so it will mean actually lowering the bike.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:43 AM   #225
alexk243
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Quote:
So I got the bike today and had to ride it home in the dark and the rain from work, always good fun for a new bike. My main concern however is this. The bike seems slightly too high for me when its sitting there. I can get on and off it but getting on involves jumping up onto the footpeg and hoisting myself over. Once I'm actually on I can touch the ground with both feet, not flat foot mind you, but i can touch one foot flat foot at a time at least.
My question is, is there any way of slightly lowering the bike? I already have a lower seat so it will mean actually lowering the bike.
Yea I can sell you my blown out rear shock, that should lower it a bit
alexk243 is offline   Reply With Quote