User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2011, 10:13 AM   #2341
Bob Tosi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,605
Quote:
Don't know about popular but how about a Yoshimura from a GSXR1000. Remove front mount, rotate midpipe Viola!

Oh yeah and this was a tip from the Mezo build chronicle. Nice to see you back Mezo, now play nice.
Acouple of questions on this one,,

1) how did you get a hold of the pipe? was it off a wreck or did you order it new?

2) how did you rotate it? Did you cut it, then re-weld it?
When you're lost in the wild and scared as a child. And death looks you bang in the eye, and your sore as a boil, its according to Hoyle to cock your revolver... and die. But the code of a man says "fight all you can" and self-dissolution is barred. In hunger and woe, its easy to blow... Its the hell-served-for-breakfast thats hard........Robert Service
Bob Tosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:22 PM   #2342
snowjob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Shock Spring Options

Turns out options for improved rear spring on a 1990 XT600e in the US are pretty light. I took extensive measurements of the stock shock and made lots of inquiries on ways to improve it, but I am not entirely satisfied with what I found.

RaceTech will sell me a 550 lb/in spring for $120, but say I need a $30 collar. And a new bottom-out bumper would be $46!

Works Performance says I can get a 550 lb/in spring for $130.

Sadly, neither would take much time to work with me and really figure out the best solution. Works talked down to me (in spite of the fact that I am a Mechanical Engineer and know Mass-Spring-Damper systems pretty damn well) and RaceTech took forever responding to me.

I guess I could buy a Hagon shock for $400, but since the bike originally cost $800, I think I will just put the shock back on and live with it until I can afford something with better parts availability in the US.

One final note, the spring can easily be replaced. Going any further would be a real PITA for a do-it-yourselfer and it would be better to simply replace the whole shock.
Attached Images

snowjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:09 PM   #2343
Zahnarzt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdave View Post
Turns out options for improved rear spring on a 1990 XT600e in the US are pretty light. I took extensive measurements of the stock shock and made lots of inquiries on ways to improve it, but I am not entirely satisfied with what I found.

RaceTech will sell me a 550 lb/in spring for $120, but say I need a $30 collar. And a new bottom-out bumper would be $46!

Works Performance says I can get a 550 lb/in spring for $130.

Sadly, neither would take much time to work with me and really figure out the best solution. Works talked down to me (in spite of the fact that I am a Mechanical Engineer and know Mass-Spring-Damper systems pretty damn well) and RaceTech took forever responding to me.

I guess I could buy a Hagon shock for $400, but since the bike originally cost $800, I think I will just put the shock back on and live with it until I can afford something with better parts availability in the US.

One final note, the spring can easily be replaced. Going any further would be a real PITA for a do-it-yourselfer and it would be better to simply replace the whole shock.
Dave

Have you inquired of a local spring builder?
We had one in the town I used to live in. It could be a viable option.
I don't really have a problem with comp or rebound. Just my big butt plus gear is almost too much for the stocker.
I'd drop 90-100 buck for a stiffer spring.
After you tested it of course
Old 02-25-2011, 09:54 PM   #2344
dougfromindy
I smell premix

Oddometer: 2,250
mint 94 xt600e w/hardbags just up on ebay -LA, california

Not mine and not sure if its aok to post link, like new 94 xt600 on ebay now, is sweet. Only 3,569 miles.
dougfromindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:27 AM   #2345
Mezo
Banned

Oddometer: 2,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougfromindy View Post
Not mine

Gotta scratch my itchy beard on this.

Mezo.
Mezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:23 AM   #2346
Alaskajeff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,113
Late to the party, NEW 87 XT600 owner......

JUSt picked up an 87 model XT600 for a cool $850 up here in Alaska. Where the picking isn't quite as plentiful for decent used bikes as in the lower 48. It is in pretty decent shape, with an original shop manual, and reciepts from when ity was new!! It's got quite a bunch of new parts installed by the last owner; signals, mirrors, fork rebuild, brakes, tires, chain & sprokets, rear fender flap, welded frame for ammo can panniers, and probably more.
WHAT IT NEEDS: A new clutch and decompression cables and possibly a valve adjustment. But overall a decent, still street legal and currently registered fun bike for my 15 mile commute to work. My place of work is on a gravel road so NO MORE worring about dust and dirt getting all over my 92 Fatboy!! AND the ability to explore more of ALASKA on 2 wheels...........I won't be able to pick it up for a few days yet but here is the add on craigslist. Pics to follow.
http://anchorage.craigslist.org/mcy/2228784778.html

Alaskajeff screwed with this post 02-26-2011 at 06:45 AM
Alaskajeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:42 PM   #2347
netjustin
b00b

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRadBaron View Post
Anyone here rebuilt their XT600E wheels onto aluminum rims?
RB,
Do you have any updates on your project? Did you get the rims replaced?

I had a set of 17" sumo style Excel rims laced, after blasting and painting the stock hubs of course. My local race shop spec'd and ordered the installation from Buchanan's who live around about Los Angeles. Because of their relationship with Buch they were able to ship the hubs and rims down, along with return shipping for about US $20, round trip via Golden State Overnight. That may not be an option from IL but it's worth a check. The total bill was under $300 and included the "thick" stainless spokes and nipples (36 ea x 2 rims), drilling the rims for correct angle, then lacing, centering, and tightening. I was surprised at how good the alignment was considering they weren't working on their own personal gear. The end product uses minimal lead for balancing from the tire guys.

Hope that helps.
Justin
netjustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:56 PM   #2348
netjustin
b00b

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuvy View Post
after a three month wait, and another month fucking around trying to work out what caliper bracket they sent me, i finally have a 320mm disc on my XT600 supermoto.

Performance is ok. definitely an improvement on the stock setup, although not as much of an improvement as i'd hoped. the improved brakes have really highlighted front end dive - perhaps this accounts for poorer than expected improvement in performance. There's also a bit of flex in the system which I'm not sure of the cause. Could be caliper flex, or the master cylinder. I've got a brembo knock off radial master cylinder on order, so will see if that makes a difference. Also worth noting that to get the caliper on/off, i need to remove the inner brake pad.

I think the next thing to look at is heavier fork springs and maybe some cartridge emulators. Fork springs shouldn't be hard to source, but cartridge emulators seem a bit tricker as racetek don't list any for the XT6. Any suggestions? I recall seeing a post on the HUBB where someone actually fabricated a set. Don't suppose anyone has drawings?

Phil
Looking good, Phil! Did you rebuild the caliper and MC? Well worth the effort; I found a lot of the "feel" and ease of stopping that was missing prior.

Not sure how many miles are on your front forks but they might be due for new fork oil. Mine came out looking like espresso and was likely contaminated with moisture due to outside storage. I also went with a heavier weight and new springs. The "dive" issue never went away completely for me but with new springs and fork oil it is good enough.

As far as emulators, I asked a Racetek rep at the IMS show in California about the XT. He said they install a generic kit that works on any conventional 41mm oil-dampening fork. I plan to approach them before hitting the track again.

ADD: By the way, what make rotor did you go with?

Justin
netjustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:35 PM   #2349
Mezo
Banned

Oddometer: 2,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskajeff View Post
JUSt picked up an 87 model XT600 for a cool $850 up here in Alaska.
Bargain Jeff.

Do they put salt on your roads up there?

Mezo.
Mezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:48 PM   #2350
JerichoXT
Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 2
Thumb

Hi guys,

I'm new here, just to subscribe to this thread, i ride XT600 2kf from 1988.
Curently working on XT600 1988=2012 look project...

Regards.
Attached Images

JerichoXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:24 PM   #2351
Alaskajeff
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezo View Post
Bargain Jeff.

Do they put salt on your roads up there?

Mezo.
I think so BARGAIN too. Not usually straight salt like in the northeast (upstate NY) where I grew up. but a sand type mixture. I don't plan on doing much winter riding at the moment.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:45 PM   #2352
vudu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Yoshi Pipe

Quote:
Acouple of questions on this one,,

1) how did you get a hold of the pipe? was it off a wreck or did you order it new?

2) how did you rotate it? Did you cut it, then re-weld it?
Hi Bob,

Found on ebay with an interstate dealer clearing inventory. Sticker price $1098. My price....$202. Totally stoked. Was new in original packaging w instructions and all the hardware.

I had to cut the front mount off the midpipe which is near where the midpipe joins the header. I then removed the springs that hold the midpipe to the muffler and simply rotated the midpipe to fit. The springs no longer line up but the bracket to frame prevent any movement. I have since replaced the ugly al frame mount bracket with a P clamp (hardly visible).

Hope this helps and good luck

By the way, Great thread guys. Lots of good knowledge here.
vudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:51 PM   #2353
vudu
Gnarly Adventurer

Another Tip - Chain Guard

Mine was missing the chain guard. Found a DT200 (water cooled 2 stroke) chain guard. $10... ebay... fits perfect.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:05 PM   #2354
Alaskajeff
Beastly Adventurer

Parts interchangability between years?

What year parts will fit my newly aquired 87 XT600? I need a clutch and decompression/start cable. There are a few on EVILbay but not sure what will fit? Also there is a nice new seat cover for a TT600, will it fit my seat pan? Thanks.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:31 PM   #2355
vudu
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
What year parts will fit my newly aquired 87 XT600? I need a clutch and decompression/start cable. There are a few on EVILbay but not sure what will fit? Also there is a nice new seat cover for a TT600, will it fit my seat pan? Thanks.
Parts are generally interchangeable from 84-89. Not sure about the TT stuff. i think the frames are different. Clutches are a dime a dozen on ebay. Get the full kit as often weak spring cause clutch slip and probably failure of the original.

How about a pic?