Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2011, 11:31 PM   #2356
Alaskajeff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,070
Here are some still in the garage of the seller.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=663290&page=2
Alaskajeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:42 AM   #2357
bendiebandielegs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
My sweet ride

Name:  IMG_1695.JPG
Views: 1272
Size:  170.4 KB

I got it with 15000 on the clock 8months ago, now has 16800. I enjoy it and want to ride it everywhere.
bendiebandielegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:49 AM   #2358
bendiebandielegs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by webmonstro View Post
Box ? what kind of box ? is it connected bya tube ? is it for emmissons crap ?
plug the tube?

Nuno
Thanks managed to sort it. Found a guy here who dose plastic welding.
bendiebandielegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:18 AM   #2359
Mezo
Banned

Oddometer: 2,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskajeff View Post
What year parts will fit my newly aquired 87 XT600? I need a clutch and decompression/start cable. There are a few on EVILbay but not sure what will fit? Also there is a nice new seat cover for a TT600, will it fit my seat pan? Thanks.
If you go to boats.net & select your bike & then select something like your swingarm, then select (for an example) part 28, it will give you all the other bikes that use this part.

Or you can put that part number (90387-121H1-00) in to Google and Ebay & find the part that way as it will be used on many Yamaha bikes.

Mezo.
Mezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:15 AM   #2360
cuvy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by netjustin View Post
Looking good, Phil! Did you rebuild the caliper and MC? Well worth the effort; I found a lot of the "feel" and ease of stopping that was missing prior.

Not sure how many miles are on your front forks but they might be due for new fork oil. Mine came out looking like espresso and was likely contaminated with moisture due to outside storage. I also went with a heavier weight and new springs. The "dive" issue never went away completely for me but with new springs and fork oil it is good enough.

As far as emulators, I asked a Racetek rep at the IMS show in California about the XT. He said they install a generic kit that works on any conventional 41mm oil-dampening fork. I plan to approach them before hitting the track again.

ADD: By the way, what make rotor did you go with?

Justin
Hey Justin,

I didn't rebuild the calipers/master cylinder, but I know it won't make enough of a difference. The caliper body flexes, and the bolt pushing the master cylinder (from the lever) just makes the feel mucky. I'd like to get a decent remote reservoir Nissin master cylinder, or a decent 16x18 radial. I did try a brembo knock off 16x18 - improved feel a lot, but the crappy build quality meant that let any back pressure out, clamping the caliper on. 16x18 with only a two piston caliper gave good feel and ok, but not great power. still needed two-three fingers with a bit of strength for stoppies. At a guess, I'd say that with a four piston caliper, the 16x18 would be pretty good.

On that note, I'd also like to try another caliper, probably a four pot caliper off a FZR250 (3LN). I've used these on my old SRX6, and my current SRX6 appears to use one too. Probably have to make a relocating bracket, which will be a bit of a challenge for me.

I usually try to change the fork oil once a year of so and use 15 wt oil. The stock springs are pretty soft, so the wish list also includes heavier springs and emulators. Without emulators, the damper rod setup will just never do everything well, no matter how well it is tuned. If the bike parts fairy does come along, I'll see if anyone locally can supply the generic 41mm emulators.

The disc is from EBC and comes with the relocating bracket. If you're going with a non-stock caliper, then I reckon go with the early R1 disc, since they'd be cheaper and easier to get a hold of.

Cheers,
Phil
Old 02-28-2011, 09:54 AM   #2361
ScramblerJ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Trouble Starting 1985 XT600

Hi all.... I've been lurking here for a while, and just last week picked up a 1985 XT600. It seems to be running really well, but I have a tough time starting it. I've looked through the forums here and read many versions of the kickstart procedure, but my bike seems a little odd in that I'm finding that the only way I can get 'er to start is to hold the throttle wide-open and just kick the s*** out of it. Also, the PO said that it 'doesn't like the choke'. Is this odd for a cold bike?

Is it unusual to need the throttle open when kickstarting, and if so, does it point to any potential problems that need to be addressed?

Thanks all (in advance)!!

Joe
ScramblerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:50 PM   #2362
Mark.F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
ScramblerJ.
I've got a 1985 bike,43f model.
From cold mine likes choke & a tiny bit of throttle,I get the piston just over TDC & swing on the kickstart,usually starts between 1 & 3 kicks,even if it's been stood for a couple of weeks.I only give it full bore when trying to clean the plug if it's flooded,but it's ages since that last happened,you seem to have a unusual way of starting the beast.
I'd check the plug see what the mixture looks like,mine likes choke when it's cold,(quite often over here).
If you have'nt already done so you should give it a good service,have a look what jets are in the carb,check the airfilters good.You never know what the PO's maintainance was like until you inspect stuff
Mark
Mark.F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:39 PM   #2363
ScramblerJ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark.F View Post
ScramblerJ.
I've got a 1985 bike,43f model.
From cold mine likes choke & a tiny bit of throttle,I get the piston just over TDC & swing on the kickstart,usually starts between 1 & 3 kicks,even if it's been stood for a couple of weeks.I only give it full bore when trying to clean the plug if it's flooded,but it's ages since that last happened,you seem to have a unusual way of starting the beast.
I'd check the plug see what the mixture looks like,mine likes choke when it's cold,(quite often over here).
If you have'nt already done so you should give it a good service,have a look what jets are in the carb,check the airfilters good.You never know what the PO's maintainance was like until you inspect stuff
Mark
Thanks Mark! I was just messing with it, and am able to get it started consistently now, but ONLY with the throttle WFO.... Unfortunately, now it won't idle.... I'm going to have a 'professional' tune up done next weekend... I want to get a good 'baseline' and then I'll do the maintenance, but for now I need to get it running 'right'
ScramblerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:41 AM   #2364
patrick2wd
pop-pop-pop-pop-etc.

Oddometer: 134
Its running smootly and very nice...

Carbs were (very likely) conterminated with water..

oil is now drained.

I know its twice in this window.. can't change it for some stupid reason...

and the guy in this movie is Erik, not me.. (Patrick)
Old 03-01-2011, 09:59 AM   #2365
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuvy View Post
If the bike parts fairy does come along, I'll see if anyone locally can supply the generic 41mm emulators.
Keep us updated, I would be interested in this aswell.

Do you know what fitrs, and works, for our bikes?
JensEskildsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:15 AM   #2366
doktor dare
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
3TB exhaust/frame

On 3TB model, exhaust is a part of frame. Does anyone have some experience how it works, especially with some aftermarket exhaust.
Is it necessery to make it stronger for hard luggage?
doktor dare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:49 PM   #2367
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
I would just mount a bar/pipe/piece of metal as to duplicate the newer bikes frame. Mount it from the right passenger peg and up/backwards towards the exhaust and frame.

I even think that some laser exhausts for the early years included such a piece of metal
JensEskildsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:13 PM   #2368
Mezo
Banned

Oddometer: 2,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by JensEskildsen View Post
I would just mount a bar/pipe/piece of metal as to duplicate the newer bikes frame. Mount it from the right passenger peg and up/backwards towards the exhaust and frame.

I even think that some laser exhausts for the early years included such a piece of metal
There is some talk on XT600.de about this, here.

Mezo.
Mezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:35 PM   #2369
HodakaD
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
XT Adventure Accessories

Hi Fellas. I was messing around on the internet looking for ideas for mounting panniers and came across this website.

https://tciproductsusa.com/index.php...th=144_167_192

It has a few farkles specifically for an XT600 that I thought you may be interested in. Maybe you new about this site, but I didn't. Prices seem kinda high, but I have not been able to find much for XT specific add-ons.

Luggage racks, wind screens, panniers and such. Just thought I would pass it along since XT accessories are so rare, at least in the states. Made in USA.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:54 PM   #2370
pondman
Vortex Traveler

Oddometer: 15
Cry XT600E New engine rebuild left overs

Hey all after 3 months of thread reading and bloody knuckles I have completed 2 xt600 engines 3aj.
I have a few left over new parts for a fellow ADV junkie. will trade for home made beer if yall have any

(3) new intake valves 34k-12121-00
(2) new valve guides 4h7-11133-11
(2) new valve guide retainers 93440-12052
(1) new Copper head gasket 3.763mm thick (stock thickness) can be used for life!
(2) new Yamaha emblems plastic jn6-f4161-01

pondman76@yahoo.com
will ship anywhere in the world, except those country's that dislike americans...
Attached Images