User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2011, 07:53 AM   #3016
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,778
Thumbs down

I wouldn't think the JB job should effect how it idles, but anyway. I upped my pilot jet size so it didn't take 2 hours for it to "warm up." I'd be a bit PO'd since the original owner probably knew about this and didn't let you know. But you seem to know how to fix it your self as this repair would cost $$$$ for a dealer to fix. Fleabay right now has lots of parts for the XT but a carb will be at least $100 bucks.

I found one but $200.00! You could offer $150 maybe.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/94-600-XT-XT...sories&vxp=mtr

Oh and make sure to ask the seller to see the main carb with the bowl OFF and make sure that tang isn't broken!

I have a place locally I could go. www.sportwheel.com I could email them and see if I can find one. They seem to have a lot of old carbs.

D.T. screwed with this post 12-06-2011 at 08:20 AM
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:06 AM   #3017
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
I wouldn't think the JB job should effect how it idles, but anyway. I upped my pilot jet size so it didn't take 2 hours for it to "warm up." I'd be a bit PO'd since the original owner probably knew about this and didn't let you know. But you seem to know how to fix it your self as this repair would cost $$$$ for a dealer to fix. Fleabay right now has lots of parts for the XT but a carb will be at least $100 bucks.

Oh and make sure to ask the seller to see the main carb with the bowl OFF and make sure that tang isn't broken!

I have a place locally I could go. www.sportwheel.com I could email them and see if I can find one. They seem to have a lot of old carbs.
Yeah, I'm a bit ticked off but honestly I just think the PO had a hamfisted mechanic work on his bike. He was an older gentleman, and seemed honest enough to me but I guess you never know.

I saw that carburetor on ebay...Seems like a little high on the price to me, I"m going to shop around. I'm in no rush since it is below zero at the moment and plenty of snow and ice on the ground. If you see anything at sporthweel let me know, but dont go out of your way. If you end up finding something for me I could throw a few bucks your way as well for helping me out.

Thanks!
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:09 AM   #3018
pawlicho
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
xt 600 z 3aj

pawlicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:05 PM   #3019
Bob Tosi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,600
Totally sweet ride! Where can you get those tanks?
When you're lost in the wild and scared as a child. And death looks you bang in the eye, and your sore as a boil, its according to Hoyle to cock your revolver... and die. But the code of a man says "fight all you can" and self-dissolution is barred. In hunger and woe, its easy to blow... Its the hell-served-for-breakfast thats hard........Robert Service
Bob Tosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:29 AM   #3020
stteve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawlicho View Post

I see you found a TT600R rearfender/sidepanel will also do well as a fairing...
Old 12-07-2011, 07:31 AM   #3021
pawlicho
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Stteve brawo yes, front fairing is made from beck fender TT600R Tank is from old xt600z Tenere 1VJ.
All is 9 KG lighter

More at - http://www.advrider.pl/viewtopic.php...=6934&start=75

pawlicho screwed with this post 12-07-2011 at 11:25 PM
pawlicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:31 PM   #3022
McGoo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Olas, if all else fails go to boats.net for a new carb. But prepare yourself, they are $600 odd from memory! But then it is a brand new carb. That sure looks like a crap job of a repair, mine snapped in the same place but my repair looks a lot nicer than that.

Until you get a new carb you can still pull the main needle out and get some carb cleaner in there and get a lot of crud out, you may find you don't need a new carb ASAP. A new carb float bowl gasket will help as well.
McGoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:06 AM   #3023
Olas
the darkness

Yeah a new carb would be nice but I don't want to drop that kind of money right now. I did make an offer of $125 on the ebay carburetor that DT suggested and the guy accepted. The carb came from a running bike and, judging from what all the engine parts look like, it was in decent shape. It will arrive today so hopefully by next week I'll have a nice running XT!
Old 12-09-2011, 07:04 PM   #3024
Olas
the darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post

Offered this guy $125 and he accepted. I took a gamble, but knew by looking at his other for sale items that this bike was in good running shape before it was parted out. Anyway, I got the carb set today and it is in good shape. Hopefully by next week i'll be up and running!
Old 12-09-2011, 11:18 PM   #3025
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,778
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olas View Post
Offered this guy $125 and he accepted. I took a gamble, but knew by looking at his other for sale items that this bike was in good running shape before it was parted out. Anyway, I got the carb set today and it is in good shape. Hopefully by next week i'll be up and running!

I'm still waiting for my front chain slider.

I lowballed the seller, but had to keep going up until he accepted too.

There is a guy in the Garage forum that is stuck in the other side of the planet wondering if a 600 top end will work on a 550 bottom end.
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:44 PM   #3026
SmokeyB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Wink XT600 wide pegs

Hi guys,

I've been looking around in vain for a while now for some decent pegs - don't want to go pivot pegs (expense mainly, not sure if I would use the pivot feature, etc) but I found this fella -
http://www.dmospecialties.com/
I asked the question if the TTR or XT 250 pegs may work on mine (XT600e, 2001) and after a while he came back with this:
Ben,

Here is the latest. My left side XT225 footpeg is a direct replacement for the XT600, but the right side is not. The XT600 shares footpegs with these models:

DT50
DT250
IT250
RT100
RT180
XT350
XT600

The problem is that NONE of these models were made past 1995. I'm hesitant to invest in making footpegs for bikes that haven't been made for 17 years. However, I'm not ruling it out entirely. I may be able to use my XT250 footpeg bodies, on different stems that fit the XT600. Also, how much demand do you think you have personally in your area? I would need to sell 10 pair to make it worth while. Cost would be very similar to the XT250 footpegs, about $48 per pair.

Bill

At the risk of this being way too long winded, I'll get to the point - Anyone interested? Shipping would be good to consolidate, etc.
I live in the Northern suburbs in Brisbane, I know there are a few fellas out there with the XT600s from the army, just thought I'd put it out there.

Cheers,

Ben

SmokeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:49 PM   #3027
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,681
Hello, I actually live in the dr800 and the OC forums, but I need some info from you guys. Both your bike and mine have twin carbs and I am wondering whether I can fit fcr's made for the xt on my dr engine. So, if any of you guys have the carbs out, I would be mostly delighted if you could tell me what the external diameter of the carb outlets is as well as the centre -to- centre distance!

Many thanks in advance
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:01 AM   #3028
Olas
the darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
Hello, I actually live in the dr800 and the OC forums, but I need some info from you guys. Both your bike and mine have twin carbs and I am wondering whether I can fit fcr's made for the xt on my dr engine. So, if any of you guys have the carbs out, I would be mostly delighted if you could tell me what the external diameter of the carb outlets is as well as the centre -to- centre distance!

Many thanks in advance
Give me a couple of days and I will get you some measurements.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Old 12-10-2011, 06:06 AM   #3029
Olas
the darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyB View Post
Hi guys,

I've been looking around in vain for a while now for some decent pegs - don't want to go pivot pegs (expense mainly, not sure if I would use the pivot feature, etc) but I found this fella -
http://www.dmospecialties.com/
I asked the question if the TTR or XT 250 pegs may work on mine (XT600e, 2001) and after a while he came back with this:
Ben,

Here is the latest. My left side XT225 footpeg is a direct replacement for the XT600, but the right side is not. The XT600 shares footpegs with these models:

DT50
DT250
IT250
RT100
RT180
XT350
XT600

The problem is that NONE of these models were made past 1995. I'm hesitant to invest in making footpegs for bikes that haven't been made for 17 years. However, I'm not ruling it out entirely. I may be able to use my XT250 footpeg bodies, on different stems that fit the XT600. Also, how much demand do you think you have personally in your area? I would need to sell 10 pair to make it worth while. Cost would be very similar to the XT250 footpegs, about $48 per pair.

Bill

At the risk of this being way too long winded, I'll get to the point - Anyone interested? Shipping would be good to consolidate, etc.
I live in the Northern suburbs in Brisbane, I know there are a few fellas out there with the XT600s from the army, just thought I'd put it out there.

Cheers,

Ben

Don't TW pegs work on the XT as well?

I would be interested in wider footpegs for my XT depending on how much shipping to the US is.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Old 12-10-2011, 07:15 AM   #3030
snowjob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 581
Lots of pegs fit the XT. I bought these a while back and I love them.

Ebay Pegs

Wider pegs make it harder to shift with MX boots, but they are very sturdy. Had a friend crash my XT and break his leg. These pegs were barely scratched. I would not spend $$$$ on fancy pegs when many ebay sellers have these between $15-$30.
snowjob is offline   Reply With Quote