Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2011, 10:32 PM   #3031
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olas View Post
Give me a couple of days and I will get you some measurements.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Many thanks Olas!
mousitsas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:28 PM   #3032
keninoc
Diverse Terrainer

Oddometer: 120
Finaly got the bugs out. The misfire at idle was the rubber O ring gasket on the intake mainifolds. They were squished flat, and were allowing air to suck in with the fuel/air mix. Runs awsome now!
Attached Images

keninoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:26 PM   #3033
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,798
Nice!

That sure looks like a TT600 though..

I got my chain slider in the mail today. I couldn't install it without removing the swingarm though. So I cut part of it so I could put it on w/o removing the swingarm.
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:54 PM   #3034
keninoc
Diverse Terrainer

Oddometer: 120
Yes, it is a TT600, but close enough I figured. I've had both the XT and TT, and love them both.
keninoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:05 PM   #3035
SmokeyB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olas View Post
Don't TW pegs work on the XT as well?

I would be interested in wider footpegs for my XT depending on how much shipping to the US is.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I couldn't find a conclusive answer - looked around for quite a while, but anyway, the fella's in the US so I'd imagine it would be as per his standard rate - check his website out (I don't know him/profit/etc) I think the shipping and prices are there.

Ben
SmokeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:02 PM   #3036
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,192
Xt 600?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keninoc View Post
Yes, it is a TT600, but close enough I figured. I've had both the XT and TT, and love them both.
Have a photo of your XT 600? ED
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:32 PM   #3037
Beemerboff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,267
At the risk of this being way too long winded, I'll get to the point - Anyone interested? Shipping would be good to consolidate, etc.
I live in the Northern suburbs in Brisbane, I know there are a few fellas out there with the XT600s from the army, just thought I'd put it out there.

One of the Army guys , but I have already changed.

I noticed a nice SS pair while I was getting tires, Unlimited Parts (McLEODS) part- FVR13, Yam YZ Wide.

The price was right ai $17.95

They fit straight on, but as supplied won't pivot up.

But a few minutes on the angle grinder fixes that.

I hadn't realised how much I steered by wieghting the pegs until my first run with the wider pegs - suddenly the XT was tipping into the corners almost intuitably, much better than before.

No problems getting my size 45 Gaerne Explorers to the pedals, cant say I noticed any difference.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:53 AM   #3038
Peter M DK
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Hello

I am tired at looking at the rear fender on my XT600 43F. It's looks like something from the 70'ties (wich its properly is).

Is it possible to mount a rear fender from a TT 59x/36a? Or how much has to be done to fit it?
Peter M DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:56 AM   #3039
JimmieDK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
What is carb spacing and outer diameter of the carb throat where it fits on the intake rubbers?
JimmieDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:32 PM   #3040
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hi there. I own an XT 600 1989' (2KF). I 've made some improving modifications, or at least, that's what my intension.

I 've made a front suspension swap, with a full front end from Yamaha YZ 125 1990'. Upside down forks, 41mm (the red anodized ones), 300mm stroke. I have also changed the (tiny motocross) disc, along with the caliper, but that's irrelevant to my major concern right now.

I 've found a real bargain, an Ohlins rear shock from TT 600 S, 270mm stroke (the so called "Belgarda") with the UpsideDown Forks, not the "new" one with the conventional Paioli Forks, the TTR 600. I 've chosen the previous TT 600 Ohlins, cause it was -almost- a perfect match with my stock XT 600 shock, in both upper and lower ends (eyelet-hole on both sides, frame and swingarm linkages).

Here's the deal. Both shock absorbers, measure the same distance, 40 cm (400 mm) from upper, to lower eyelet. So, I thought I 'd just enjoy a better shock experience, without changing at all the geometry of the bike. Fact is, the YZ 125 front end, is not just a longer stroke fork, but it seems to be a longer-bigger fork, from top yoke to wheel axle distance. For example, the specific TT 600 that I used it's rear shock, has either a front end with the same "long" stroke (310mm), but for sure it is less "long-huge" from top yoke to wheel axle.

That was my initial thinking fault, same stroke does not mean same overall length of the front suspension. And now my bike is just like a custom, relaxed seat, chopper. The whole foockin' center of gravity is well backed up and down! Of course it's a matter of physics, I don't doubt, but the bike has become reluctant to lean (obvious) and when I ride the seat it gets even worse (pretty obvious too). I 've done some settings, lowered the top yoke (raised the forks through it), but as you 'd expect, no magic solution-balance appeared.

Due to "no dog bones" style of swingarm-linkage-shock, I can't intervene in the bottom part of the shock. So I am wondering about the top linkage (frame). I 've seen a couple of owners who have used, a special extra linkage (between the frame eyelet-hole and the top shock one). It seems that this gadget, reduces the stock distance that the shock mounts, and consequently forces it to "extend", to the only direction it is able-free... vertically...and that's it! The whole back-tail of the bike is lifted up!

Heckhöherlegung xt 600 | eBay

1) Have you ever tried it?
2) Do we have any alternatives in something like this?
3) What do the older-more experienced riders-mechs think about it?

I would appreciate every opinion, thought, idea, whatever helps...

PS. Ohh! I almost forgot. Through my bike "upgrading", I 've ordered a spare swingarm, a bit different. Mine (2KF) has an Iron one, so I bought and fitted an Aluminium one (43F) without disc, but with a drum. The Ohlins shock, is fitted in that swingarm. I am 99% sure that everything else ecxept from the aluminium, are totally same. The linkages, etc. I don't think it could interfere with my problem, but it's better to mention it...
1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:46 PM   #3041
SmokeyB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Thanks for the help - I don't think that the fella was all that excited about re-tooling to make them anyway, I didn't realize that the TW pegs would work - I'd been searching around for a list of compatible ones for a long time, guess I needed to ask the right people!

Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowjob View Post
Lots of pegs fit the XT. I bought these a while back and I love them.

Ebay Pegs

Wider pegs make it harder to shift with MX boots, but they are very sturdy. Had a friend crash my XT and break his leg. These pegs were barely scratched. I would not spend $$$$ on fancy pegs when many ebay sellers have these between $15-$30.
SmokeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:49 PM   #3042
A-Wind
Andreas RD07a

Oddometer: 615
The XT600 Thread

@1600

I have a 43F(49R) and I`m currently working on a conversion to TT600 Swingarm (original drum version) swap.

Unfortunately due to a time constraint I'm not too far into the project and might not advance it for a while.

The good news is that I have all the parts and so I took measurements already and can tell you that it WILL work without modifications to the frame.

The main "problem" is "only" to fit the XT rear wheel into the swingarm since the TT wheel is narrow (due to lack of rubber wheel dampner).

A-Wind screwed with this post 12-13-2011 at 03:57 PM
A-Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:28 PM   #3043
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thanx for the answer A-Wind.

Maybe I wrote too much and the conclusion of my post was not so clear (it happens to me all the time)

I have already fitted the "new" swingarm. From the previous than my model (1984-1986 43F with a rear drum). This choice has been made, mainly, to the rust from my stock (2KF) iron swingarm. You know...companies always lowering the budget year by year and my model's swingarm was that year's victim (later in the 90's they replaced the alloy rim-wheel with the poor iron)

Anyway. I don't have any kind of problems with my "new" swingarm, In fact, I have also modificated and installed the rear disc in this. It's OK. Problem free. My problem is with the "lowering: of the back tail, or to be more specific, to the huge rising of the "new" huge front end from YZ 125 1990. I need to find a way to "equal" the total weight of the bike, from the back to the front. I 've found this "gadget" in the link, that can handle these nasty situations. I hope I it can helps. But I 'd like to listen to any alternatives, other methods, rising-ligting up the back of the bike, the tail.

I am glad you are also trying to give a breath to a legend. Keep walking
1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:53 PM   #3044
A-Wind
Andreas RD07a

Oddometer: 615
The XT600 Thread

Ha-ha, I see I missed to mention the essence of my point too: the TT swingarm is longer and will raise the tail of your bike.

... and it look awesome in my opinion. Indeed check out some Factory Racer Paris-Dakar Single Cylinder Teneres. Most of them have the TT swingarm fitted.
A-Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:43 AM   #3045
mr bones
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Took the old girl for a run today, did about 60 k's through the scrub, she loved it. I'm hoping early next year to get her registered then I'll be off & running.

mr bones is offline   Reply With Quote