Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2012, 01:57 PM   #3421
BigRob 63
Get Dirty

Oddometer: 14
Rear Rack

I am after a rear rack for my 1990 600e ,
Does anyone have one they want to sell or know of a company that still produces one at a reasonable cost .

Rob
BigRob 63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:37 AM   #3422
SBG
Neville1 to TT boys

Oddometer: 325
I would have bought that if they had imported it here. We got that ugly thing in the mid 80's that looked like the designer was out to lunch. That's why I ended up getting the 350.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Stomp View Post
I got the XT600 Sunday. No photos yet but it is a 1987 German imported model, so it looks like this:

Old 07-06-2012, 06:47 PM   #3423
shuswap biker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
HI-
I thought I would ask if anyone new were I could source a diaphragm and slide (throttle valve) for the secondary carb (high circuit) for a 1985 xt600n.
I guess yamaha up here in canada does not make that part anymore.

Thanks
shuswap biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:06 PM   #3424
Kelly_O
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
HELP! Kick starter install...

I'm replacing the aluminum kicker on my TT with a steel XT kicker and kick start shaft. I've never had a kicker assembly apart before. I need your help. I got the old one out and even took some pics for reference. I reassembled the shaft as correct as I could and reinstalled it. The kicker won't move. What have I screwed up? I was expecting to find index marks to aid my reassembly. None. I may have put it together wrong. The return stop is near 1 o'clock. The slot that the main spring snuggles into is at about 4 o'clock. I REALLY need your help. My wife bought a new dirt bike this week and she wants to ride. I need to get this fixed. Thanks, Kelly.
Kelly_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:57 AM   #3425
Kelly_O
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly_O View Post
I'm replacing the aluminum kicker on my TT with a steel XT kicker and kick start shaft. I've never had a kicker assembly apart before. I need your help. I got the old one out and even took some pics for reference. I reassembled the shaft as correct as I could and reinstalled it. The kicker won't move. What have I screwed up? I was expecting to find index marks to aid my reassembly. None. I may have put it together wrong. The return stop is near 1 o'clock. The slot that the main spring snuggles into is at about 4 o'clock. I REALLY need your help. My wife bought a new dirt bike this week and she wants to ride. I need to get this fixed. Thanks, Kelly.

C'mon fellas! This is NOT the time to be shy. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Kelly.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:25 AM   #3426
shuswap biker
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
C'mon fellas! This is NOT the time to be shy. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Kelly.
From the service manual.
#6 - When reassembling the kick start, alighn the mark on the ratchet wheel with the one on the kick axle.

(there is a diagram, but I need to wait till the wifey gets home to scan it, remember to lube the seals before reasembly hope this helps.)

Rob

And BUMP
And anyone know were to get the diaphragm and slider for the secondary carb??
Old 07-07-2012, 11:21 AM   #3427
A-Wind
Andreas RD07a

Oddometer: 598
The XT600 Thread

RE: Kickstart
It has been long ago when I reassembled mine. I can't think of a situation where it could get locked. I only remember that my "problem" was to get the correct preload on the spring.

Sorry, but I can only suggest to take it apart and do it again.

RE: Carbparts
New is not worth it anyway. Get one from eBay. All USA TT600, XT600 and XT550 share the same carb. You just have to transfer your choke. Othervise you can get it from German eBay.de, all German XT550 and all 1983-1986 German XT (advertised as XT600 ModelTyp43F) carbs will fit.

BTW: What is wrong with it, why do you want to replace it?
A-Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:04 PM   #3428
shuswap biker
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Wind View Post
RE: Kickstart
It has been long ago when I reassembled mine. I can't think of a situation where it could get locked. I only remember that my "problem" was to get the correct preload on the spring.

Sorry, but I can only suggest to take it apart and do it again.

RE: Carbparts
New is not worth it anyway. Get one from eBay. All USA TT600, XT600 and XT550 share the same carb. You just have to transfer your choke. Othervise you can get it from German eBay.de, all German XT550 and all 1983-1986 German XT (advertised as XT600 ModelTyp43F) carbs will fit.

BTW: What is wrong with it, why do you want to replace it?
HI, thanks-
I am pretty sure that the slide is worn as I have no top end till the bike really warms up and the slide expands
(loose in the bore), as well the diaphram is getting old and probably needs to be replaced, which could also be a reason for loss of top end snap (loss of vacum).

(it is not sucking air around the boots)
Old 07-07-2012, 12:08 PM   #3429
Kelly_O
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Guys, I've had it apart twice. The only thing which looks like it could be an index on the shaft is a hole in the shaft itself. It looks like an oil hole to me. Is that the mark I'm looking for? After assembly the spring tension seems good. The kicker just doesn't want to move. I know it's close to right, but something is not quite right. Kelly.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #3430
shuswap biker
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks Guys, I've had it apart twice. The only thing which looks like it could be an index on the shaft is a hole in the shaft itself. It looks like an oil hole to me. Is that the mark I'm looking for? After assembly the spring tension seems good. The kicker just doesn't want to move. I know it's close to right, but something is not quite right. Kelly.
The marks appear to be a punch type mark on the vertical edge of the teeth on the main shaft and on the facing edge of the ratchet wheel Can you take a picture of the assembly and post it so I can compare it to the photo in the clymer book??

and are the parts slightly different between the xt and tt on the kickstart assembly?? because all you should of had to do was move the kick start onto the new shaft I think, (If that was the issue)
Old 07-07-2012, 12:55 PM   #3431
Kelly_O
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuswap biker View Post
The marks appear to be a punch type mark on the vertical edge of the teeth on the main shaft and on the facing edge of the ratchet wheel Can you take a picture of the assembly and post it so I can compare it to the photo in the clymer book??

and are the parts slightly different between the xt and tt on the kickstart assembly?? because all you should of had to do was move the kick start onto the new shaft I think, (If that was the issue)
The punch mark on the main shaft is good. The mark on the ratchet wheel I may have found. Just to the right of the the lug which engages the stop? Once the parts of the main shaft are assembled correctly, does the shaft slide straight onto the idler gear?

The original issue was changing from the aluminum kicker on the TT to the steel kicker on an XT. My TT kicker was getting bent and before long my foot would have been slipping off of it. The shaft needed to be changed to use the XT kicker. Should be a simple swap. I'm just having problems with indexing the parts correctly.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:01 PM   #3432
Kelly_O
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
The punch mark on the main shaft is good. The mark on the ratchet wheel I may have found. Just to the right of the the lug which engages the stop? Once the parts of the main shaft are assembled correctly, does the shaft slide straight onto the idler gear?

The original issue was changing from the aluminum kicker on the TT to the steel kicker on an XT. My TT kicker was getting bent and before long my foot would have been slipping off of it. The shaft needed to be changed to use the XT kicker. Should be a simple swap. I'm just having problems with indexing the parts correctly.

The kick start shafts are not the same. The hardware on the shafts are the same.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:09 PM   #3433
shuswap biker
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

No problems,I am not a mech by any means, but I will do what I can to help.
I have not pulled apart a kick start in years, but if your a tooth one way or another it might lock things up.

You have it ratchetting in the right direction?? LOL

(That would be pretty hard to screw that one up)
Just work it through once you have found the marks, everything has a place to go and seat.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:20 PM   #3434
Kelly_O
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuswap biker View Post
No problems,I am not a mech by any means, but I will do what I can to help.
I have not pulled apart a kick start in years, but if your a tooth one way or another it might lock things up.

You have it ratchetting in the right direction?? LOL

(That would be pretty hard to screw that one up)
Just work it through once you have found the marks, everything has a place to go and seat.
Thanks. I appreciate all the help. Those marks a just a little small for my old eyes. Once I knew where to look for them... When assembled properly that lug should sit against the stop at about 1 o'clock?
Old 07-07-2012, 01:35 PM   #3435
shuswap biker
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks. I appreciate all the help. Those marks a just a little small for my old eyes. Once I knew where to look for them... When assembled properly that lug should sit against the stop at about 1 o'clock?
Not quite sure what lug you'r refering to, but I "think" you mean the kick starter ratchet wheel.
I can't see in the diagram/pic because its under the assembly, but it sould be a good sturdy piece of casting it goes against (you should see a wear mark were the old one was)

and there seams to be abit of a tug you need to put on the spring for a pre load
(should not be to easy to put on I think)