Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2012, 01:20 AM   #3526
yamahaman
wannabe bike builder

Oddometer: 223
Thumb Yeah I have one here in melbourne Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahnarzt View Post
Sooo I was bleeding the rear brakes an my XT the other day and as I went to loosen the bleed screw "SNAP"

No problem right, It already has a hole, I have some EZ outs, should be a no brainer, Soak it in break free for a day, add some heat and viola "SNAP" the damn EZ out breaks.

So after a couple days of trying to get the whole mess out ...I give up, I am beaten.

Does anyone have a serviceable rear brake caliper for a '90 and up XT600? or know of another model that uses the same caliper.

There are none on Ebay and I'm scared to even look at dealer prices.
On the bright side I took the wifes TW out in liu of the XT and

Any help is greatly appreciated...

Z
I have one if you want me to ship it to the states but it will cost a bit around the 30 - 40 dollar mark to get to you plus a small contribution to the my bike build fund

My crazy bike build
yamahaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:13 AM   #3527
pappito
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Stomp View Post
Also in my XT news, I rode about 5 miles yesterday wearing almost nothing in a torrential downpour that whipped me with raindrops, flooded the roadways, and threatened to blow me off the road and/or strike me with lightning. The XT didn't bat an eyelid and ran like a champ!
Yeah, that is XT for you :) I do the same in this loveli, Pacific climate on New Zealand (from drizzling to torrential) commuting every day. (this is winter, mind you :)

Now my bike is over 18k in the odo and there was no problem whatsoever!
pappito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:30 AM   #3528
pappito
Adventurer

Hi all,

While I am counting the minutes when Bosley's footpegs arrives I had a little check on the bike. I am preparing myself for the next service (oil, filter, air filter, genral maintenance) and I already have found two strange things.

First, I was checking the air filter and when I opened the airbox, there was oil at the bottom of it. Check the pic, it not the best, but it is visible. Wasn't much oil, but definite presence. Wiped out, tho. The oil level is fine, slightly under the F mark, that means no significant oil loss in 10k, I guess it is good. But still - how come the oil went to the airbox?

Another strange phenomenon: all my indicators are upside-down! I was cursing the japanese engineers when I saw there are waterdrops in the indicators, but now I curce the previous owner :) I know he dropped the bike and had to replace some bits and pieces, but all four? All indicators has a text TOP on them, and as you see all the text are upside-down :) Crazy! I would not care but all the indicators have a small hole on the bottom (on the top in my case, you can see it on the edge of the amber plastic:) to drain all water from the inside. For me, they are water collectors!

Now I have to find some free time to replace them, left to right and vica versa, 'cos there is no way just change the covers as they're assimetric.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:05 AM   #3529
Zahnarzt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappito View Post
how come the oil went to the airbox?

I wish I only had that much oil in my air box, I get about 4-5ml every time I change my filter,. I think it is caused by the vacuum action of the carbs and the pressure build up in the crank case. The tiny aerosol of oil gets sucked up the crank vent tube it hits the air box it has nowhere to go so it condenses and waits for us to find it... Just a guess
Sorry about the blinkers, that is a pain...
Old 07-31-2012, 05:06 AM   #3530
Zahnarzt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaman View Post
I have one if you want me to ship it to the states but it will cost a bit around the 30 - 40 dollar mark to get to you plus a small contribution to the my bike build fund

I tell you what... let me ask the wife if I can just come and get it.... Heck she might even come too.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:04 AM   #3531
webmonstro
A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Hi all,

While I am counting the minutes when Bosley's footpegs arrives I had a little check on the bike. I am preparing myself for the next service (oil, filter, air filter, genral maintenance) and I already have found two strange things.

First, I was checking the air filter and when I opened the airbox, there was oil at the bottom of it. Check the pic, it not the best, but it is visible. Wasn't much oil, but definite presence. Wiped out, tho. The oil level is fine, slightly under the F mark, that means no significant oil loss in 10k, I guess it is good. But still - how come the oil went to the airbox?

It's from the crankcase breadther pipe
Your oil level is to high
if you leave the oil at about 1 cm from the top F mark it will dissaper

I guess eif you route a longer breather pipe going up then down before connecting to the airbox it would help but 'ive no experience of this
nuno
webmonstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:48 AM   #3532
bosley1980
Rider

Oddometer: 149
Hi papitto,

Every time I want to clean K&N filter (which is always impregnated with special oil) also I have a little oil, but during the season occasionally I open the cork [45] on the tube[41] (see picture) and occasionally something flowing. Regularly checking the oil level - oil does not lose.
Tube with stopper would not be there if it was not normal, right? If it was not useful - someone with therefore counted, right?

YAMAHA XT600E (1998)

Quote:
Hi all,

bosley1980 screwed with this post 07-31-2012 at 06:56 AM
bosley1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:41 PM   #3533
pappito
Adventurer

hey guys,

thanks for the answers, and Bosley, special thanks for the drawings.

I'll drain the breather pipe at the service.

webmonstro said I have too high oil level - but how come? It is below the F-mark on the dipstick (not far below, tho) so it is in the top of the factory recommended range.

How exactly you guys are checking your oil level? I usually sit on the bike, legs on the ground and I don't screw back the dipstick just dip it back. I don't think there is a big difference if I don't sit on it, but it is hard to keep the bike properly vertical.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:32 PM   #3534
pappito
Adventurer

oh, boy, KILL ME NOW, the blinkers amber covers are simply exchangeable on the sides, I was watching my own picture and find out I was dumb as soup, it is just 4 screws

always think twice before complaining :)
Old 07-31-2012, 10:26 PM   #3535
mopped phil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Oil in the airbox is caused either by a high oil level or riding at high rpm for quite some time.

In both cases the oil mist cant condese in the balancer and is pressed out to the airbox. Its good to check it from time to time or after riding the motorway.

XT-Board (German)
XTravel600 Blog (German)

mopped phil screwed with this post 07-31-2012 at 10:31 PM
mopped phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:54 AM   #3536
webmonstro
A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer: 445
Quote:
hey guys,

thanks for the answers, and Bosley, special thanks for the drawings.

I'll drain the breather pipe at the service.

webmonstro said I have too high oil level - but how come? It is below the F-mark on the dipstick (not far below, tho) so it is in the top of the factory recommended range.

How exactly you guys are checking your oil level? I usually sit on the bike, legs on the ground and I don't screw back the dipstick just dip it back. I don't think there is a big difference if I don't sit on it, but it is hard to keep the bike properly vertical.
there will be always some oil mist but should not be too much

My Oil check :
Remove platic fariring cover and loosen dipstick, retight (soft)
Warm up bike (10 min ride not just idle) stop and keep bike vertical(sitting on it ) on idle for 15-20sec (have cloth ready)
stop engine remove dipstick clean with cloth and refit without screwing in
remove and view level
if you wait for a 2-3 min after stopping engine the level will drop pretty quick leaving you to think it's low on oil
High miles engine may experience more oil cunsumption and mor blow-by making mor oil mist ?
Just checked my 2000 XTE (33 000 km) and oil was in the low part of the dipstick after 3300km I put 250ml to get it back up to my ideal level (1cm from top) so that comes to less then 0,1l per 1000km :)
Air filter box was slightly greasy-like but no visible puddle of oil or anything

Nuno

webmonstro screwed with this post 08-01-2012 at 10:06 AM
webmonstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:11 AM   #3537
Mr Toad65
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Hi all,

Another strange phenomenon: all my indicators are upside-down! I was cursing the japanese engineers when I saw there are waterdrops in the indicators, but now I curce the previous owner :) I know he dropped the bike and had to replace some bits and pieces, but all four? All indicators has a text TOP on them, and as you see all the text are upside-down :) Crazy! I would not care but all the indicators have a small hole on the bottom (on the top in my case, you can see it on the edge of the amber plastic:) to drain all water from the inside. For me, they are water collectors!

Now I have to find some free time to replace them, left to right and vica versa, 'cos there is no way just change the covers as they're assimetric.
My best girl and I each have one of these bikes, identical to yours from what I can see from the pictures. When we change the oil even though we are very careful not to over fill we always have a small amount of oil coming into the air box until the level settles down.

I assume the full oil level must be very close to causing this to happen. Bare in mind the oil is in the frame and the 'oil tank' if you call it that is above the level of the air box and breather pipe. Hope this helps certainly I don't worry about it.

Re there indicators they are all intercangaeable you just need to swap them about to put the small hole at the bottom, not a big job.

We've fitted small mini indicators which look look the 'biz' and are less like to break when we drop the bikes off road. We didn't fit LED ones as sometimes they cause problems with the rate at which they flash.

Hope this helps
Mr Toad65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:03 AM   #3538
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 954
If I top mine up to full, it will puke oil into the airbox. I leave it at the lower part of the dipstick.

To check oillevel you must ride it, and bring the oiltemp up to where its fully warmed up. Can actually be hard when its cold outside. 10mins aint enough for me, I usually check after a long ride.

Mines at 106.000km, engine havent been opened, and doesnt use oil. Actually I just added a cupfull of oil because it seemed a bit low, but after the next ride, it seemed overfilled.

We have around 3ltr oil capacity, the bike will ride forever even if its a tad low, so dont panic.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:48 PM   #3539
A-Wind
Andreas RD07a

Oddometer: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by JensEskildsen View Post
Mines at 106.000km, engine havent been opened, and doesnt use oil.

However I absolutely disagree with you on the issue of oil level.

The problem of adding too much or not enough oil arises because of the fluctuation of oillevel in the oiltank, which is an inherent part of this system.

Therefore: the right way to check the oil is to idle the bike upright for at least 5 minutes (= at a constant idle with warm engine and without throttle action/interaction) and then check the dipstick with the bike still upright. In every instance, this procedure delivers consistent and reliable readings (unlike riding the bike for any suggested period of time).

If you stricktly follow the oil level check as described above, you can fill up the oil all the way to the upper reading mark of the dipstick with great confidence.

BTW: Our generous 3 liter oil capacity serves not only as lubricant, but has great benefits for cooling as well, so another reason to keep the level closer to max.
A-Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:11 PM   #3540
vudu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
XT600 85 Electrics

Electrics have started playing up. Please let me know what you think.

Battery shows 13+ volts.
Ignition switch new and on.
Headlight Tail light works.

No neutral, indicators, brake horn.

Left it for a while with ign. on. Scratched head, came back, noticed neutral light on. Blinkers working.
Tried brake light everything went off. Head and Tail still working.

Bike runs and indicators (and others) had stopped working intermittently recently.
Checked wiring behind headlight and under seat no obvious faults.

Any ideas? Thanks in a advance.
vudu is offline   Reply With Quote