Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2012, 06:39 PM   #3541
Zahnarzt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Probable Ground

Quote:
Originally Posted by vudu View Post
Electrics have started playing up. Please let me know what you think.

Left it for a while with ign. on. Scratched head, came back, noticed neutral light on. Blinkers working.
Tried brake light everything went off. Head and Tail still working.

Bike runs and indicators (and others) had stopped working intermittently recently.
Checked wiring behind headlight and under seat no obvious faults.

Any ideas? Thanks in a advance.
When ever someone has this symptom I go for the ground connectors.
It is -in most of my cases - usually a corroded or misplaced gound wire.
.02 given... hope it is an easy fix
Old 08-04-2012, 10:07 AM   #3542
vudu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Wicked Eureka!

Quote:
Probable Ground
Sage words of course. So I cleaned and checked the wiring behind the headlight. Mmmm nup.

Scratching my head some more. Tried FixerUpperers alcoholic lubrication. This led me to notice some damage where the main loom runs between the lower triple clamp and the front mudguard. Removing said fender had the lighting on and off.

Aha! damaged main loom! With customary failed PO bodge. Off to see the old man in the morning for the soldering kit.

vudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #3543
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Wind View Post

However I absolutely disagree with you on the issue of oil level.
Fair enough, we cant all agree on everything.

If i do my bike in any other way than I do now, I end up overfilling it, and it will smoke at startup, and leave oil in the airbox.

1dl of oil "mising" is just around 3% of the total amount of oil. You wont be able to tell or meassure a difference. But yeah sure, the oil is important, cant diagree there

Feel free to comment on the above if I've left something unexplained, its great to hear of other methods that seems to work.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:49 PM   #3544
pappito
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by JensEskildsen View Post
Fair enough, we cant all agree on everything.

If i do my bike in any other way than I do now, I end up overfilling it, and it will smoke at startup, and leave oil in the airbox.

1dl of oil "mising" is just around 3% of the total amount of oil. You wont be able to tell or meassure a difference. But yeah sure, the oil is important, cant diagree there

Feel free to comment on the above if I've left something unexplained, its great to hear of other methods that seems to work.
hi, mate

I tend to follow the japaneese engineers, they did not mark the dipstick accidently :)
If I measure the level at cold engine, I find the level is under the F-mark by one X on the stick (half-1cm approx.) What would I measure with warm engine? I think the oils will expand a bit when it is getting hot...

(of course I am just internalizing the situation at worklpace :) I'll go and check soon as the days are getting longer, spring is in the corner!
pappito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:43 AM   #3545
bosley1980
Rider

Oddometer: 152
Pissed Oil temperature

Can you please tell me what is "right" operating temperature of the oil I recently rode a short route and showed me the oil thermometer 110 ° C (outside was 35 ° C) and from 120 ° C has the red line - I have to add a cooler? Oil is new (Repsol Moto Sintético 4T 10W/40).

depending on outside temperature
OR

depending on outside temperature

How it solves colleagues in warmer countries (AUS, U.S., NEW ZAELAND, SPAIN)

If I have not thermometer nothing bothered me, but now.
I read somewhere that there should be something around 80 ° C.
Maybe I worry unnecessary... maybe that Japanese engineers have calculated well - I would not damage the engine.

Do you have some experience?
Thank you for your answers

bosley1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:47 AM   #3546
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

I run 10w50, and yeb, aircooled bikes run pretty hot, you cant have an oiltemp of 80 with theese engines.

Mine gets up around 120 on the interstate, wont hurt a thing.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:41 AM   #3547
bosley1980
Rider

Oddometer: 152
But if add oil cooler (on older model was)

Maybe works...

Thank you for your information

Quote:
I run 10w50, and yeb, aircooled bikes run pretty hot, you cant have an oiltemp of 80 with theese engines.

Mine gets up around 120 on the interstate, wont hurt a thing.

bosley1980 screwed with this post 08-06-2012 at 11:47 AM
bosley1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:47 PM   #3548
mopped phil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
I am finally adding a Lockhart oilcooler to my 3TB, because the temperature is too high in my opinion.
I ran both the K and E model engine in my bike, experiencing a 10°C higher temperature on the E model as the gearbox and clutch run on a ~15% higher RPM compared to the old engines.

No doubt that the bike still runs good with these high temperatures, but it will be lasting much longer with less.
The indicator is settled in the oiltank, so you get an average temp. at that point. But the oil is much hotter in the cylinderhead, some say up to 160°C on the racetrack.

That's why old SRX engines have a cooler right after the filter, cooling the oil before it gets pumped into the cylinderhead.

Apart from that, most oilcoolers will be feed with the warm oil from the engine, leading it back to the oiltank. That's where the oilcooler works in the most efficient way.

But make sure that you use a good thermostat, ensuring your oil is getting warm enough and a good cooler which is efficient even with a thermostat in the cycle. The small ones are nearly useless in the combination.

I am riding 20W50 mineral after the engine rebuild and switching to 10W60 on the upcoming oil change this week.

XT-Board (German)
XTravel600 Blog (German)
mopped phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #3549
A-Wind
Andreas RD07a

Oddometer: 604
The XT600 Thread

Quote:

Actually on the 1983-1989 Models, the difference between full mark and low mark of the dipstick is about 0.7 Liter, which is signifcant.

So if you run your bike at the low mark, you already starting out on the wrong foot. Should your bike use oil, you'll end up dangerously low rather quickly.

I think the problem that you are having is that the method that you are using is unreliable. With that method, while you think, you filled up the oil to the upper mark you might have actually more oil if you measure the way that I previously described.
A-Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:08 AM   #3550
Sydney Andy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Hey Guys, just collected an 02 XT600E today... it is at work tomight andwill ride it the 100km home tomorrow.. It has been 25years since I have had anything but road bikes so I am back on a bit of a learning curve...

I posted this up in the Aussie forum but figured I should roll it out here. I am after a rear rack for the toy and these ones from the US of A are floating my boat..

http://www.cycleracks.com/index.php

...anyone have experience with them or know if they make one for the 600 they only list the 250/350 or know if the racks for these would bolt onto a 600 ??? I have e-mail 'em but not heard back as yet. If not these anything similar out there ??

Thanks for any help.

Andy
Sydney Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:40 AM   #3551
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopped phil View Post
I am finally adding a Lockhart oilcooler to my 3TB, because the temperature is too high in my opinion.

Hi, I agree, oiltemps can be a bit on the high side, and the bike could benefit from lower oiltemps. The again, people had no problem with oiltemps before they started meassuring it

The problem for me is, the only coolers made for the xt is big and bulky, attaches to a vulnerable place, and has no valve. So in the winther and in the mornings, oiltemps will be too low. That, and the fact that good oilcoolers seems to be rather pricey, unless you knowyoure way around oillnies, fittings ect, which I dont. Also, I have a 23ltr acerbis tank, im not sure an oilcooler would clear it. I bet one could find an universal coller, make a bracket, and get the oiltemp down pretty cheap, if you know what youre doing :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Wind View Post
Actually on the 1983-1989 Models, the difference between full mark and low mark of the dipstick is about 0.7 Liter, which is signifcant.

So if you run your bike at the low mark, you already starting out on the wrong foot. Should your bike use oil, you'll end up dangerously low rather quickly.

I think the problem that you are having is that the method that you are using is unreliable. With that method, while you think, you filled up the oil to the upper mark you might have actually more oil if you measure the way that I previously described.

Hi, dont own an older bike, so Im not out on the wrong foot. =)

I dont know about the older bikes, but I know they have less oil, thats why I just stated how I do it on my bike, cant see why that seems to bother you so much :)

But I guess the older ones doesnt have oil in the frame either, so they dont suffer from the false low reading, because no frame oil (there isnt any)will leak into the bottom. So no problem on them, they will have a much more accurate reading, at any given time.

As I've said, if I dont ride the bike fully warm before checking oillevel, the oillevel will show low. If I ad oil up to topmark after the bike has idled for a while, it will be overfilled, oil will be pushed into the airbox, and it will burn oil on every cold start, and show overfilled when fully warmed up.

Sidenote: Every mechanic will tell you not to let an aircooled bike sit and idle for 5min. It can get "hot spots", and the "low"oil circulation isnt enough to keep the engine cooled down. Several hondas xrl650 have died from low oilflow when idling.

I fill mine up with 2,8ltr oil with oilfilterchange, just like the manual states, and 2,8liters come out, 4000-5000km later when I change it. If I were to fill it up after it has been idling I would end up over 3 ltrs.

Again, it works for me, and a lot of others. Im not going to change the method I already tried that, doesnt work for me.

Its nice of you to try to help me, I just need you to understand that I've tried it all.......I've had the bike for several years, and have ridden it a lot. Im not trying to get everyone to do what I do, just telling what works for me. When I read youre replies, it seems different, or am I reading it wrong?

Have a nice day.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:07 AM   #3552
yamahaman
wannabe bike builder

Oddometer: 223
Electrical plugs

Does any body know where I can get replacement plugs for the 91 xt 600 I am going to make a loom from scratch and would like to use some original plug types. I can get half of them easily but the smaller plugs are proving a little more difficult

My crazy bike build
yamahaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:21 AM   #3553
yamahaman
wannabe bike builder

Oddometer: 223
ex army rack If you want

hello
I have got an ex army 600 rack you can have for a song it will definatly fit because it came off my bike. Look similar to the one in the picture.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=599080 check out post 1 same rack

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=599080&page=2 check out post 17 the one I have is straight and not too rusty

will box up and post to sydney for a small donation to the build fund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney Andy View Post
Hey Guys, just collected an 02 XT600E today... it is at work tomight andwill ride it the 100km home tomorrow.. It has been 25years since I have had anything but road bikes so I am back on a bit of a learning curve...

I posted this up in the Aussie forum but figured I should roll it out here. I am after a rear rack for the toy and these ones from the US of A are floating my boat..

http://www.cycleracks.com/index.php

...anyone have experience with them or know if they make one for the 600 they only list the 250/350 or know if the racks for these would bolt onto a 600 ??? I have e-mail 'em but not heard back as yet. If not these anything similar out there ??

Thanks for any help.

Andy

My crazy bike build
yamahaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:33 AM   #3554
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Perhaps www.kedo.com or at ebay, I havent owned many bikes, but It would seem to me that yamaha would use the plugs/connectors, so they should be kinda easely available :)
Old 08-08-2012, 09:38 AM   #3555
A-Wind
Andreas RD07a

Oddometer: 604
Quote:
[...Its nice of you to try to help me, I just need you to understand that I've tried it all.......I've had the bike for several years, and have ridden it a lot. Im not trying to get everyone to do what I do, just telling what works for me...]
Jens, please don't take this personal, but what you are writing is plain wrong. It is incorrect from ANY technical point of view.

I'm not saying anything new or unique either. ANY popular dedicated XT600 fansite lists/corroborates the same information that I have shared (or someone could even "accuse me" of retyping), which makes me even more puzzled about what/why you are writing.

Indeed, my reason and motivation to set things straight is not to be right, but to point out to others NOT to follow any example of riding with low oil level + simple measuring the oil level after riding, where even seemingly strongly compelling anecdotal success has more to do with simple plain luck rather than following correct mechanical principle.

Quote:
[...But I guess the older ones doesnt have oil in the frame either, so they dont suffer from the false low reading, because no frame oil (there isnt any)will leak into the bottom...]
Regardless if the oil is in the frame or in a separate oiltank, the oil level in our drysump system DOES fluctuate while driving. That is the reaosn why you CONSEQUENTLY can't rely on ANY reading after driving, warm engine or not. IT IS JUST PLAIN IMPOSSIBLE.

BTW: There is a simple valve inside the engines of ALL XT600 that is supposed to prevent the oil from leaking down. This valve goes bad on many XTs, which then leads to leakdown over night.
Quote:
[...Every mechanic will tell you not to let an aircooled bike sit and idle for 5min. It can get "hot spots", and the "low"oil circulation isnt enough to keep the engine cooled down...]
I don't know what "mechanic" would say that.

You can idle any XT600 engine for ANY extended period of time. The cooling fins are generous enough to easily dissipate any heat that is generated during (no engine load) idle.

A-Wind screwed with this post 08-08-2012 at 11:12 AM
A-Wind is offline   Reply With Quote