Old 08-21-2012, 11:12 AM   #3601
bosley1980
Rider

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappito View Post
Bosley, you dowg!! :) Lucky bastard :)

But where are your pegs, mate?
This is a photo from 2009 (bike and my girl with pink bikini), with footpegs I started in May 2012.
I still bought and changed for other than I made those with whom I would be satisfied.
What I make NOW is MARK V. in preparation is the MARK VII now.
MARK VII

MARK VI is ugly :-)
bosley1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:41 PM   #3602
yamahaman
wannabe bike builder

Oddometer: 223
sleeve could be loose

I have heard of a few with the liner coming loose and causing a exessive rattle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmonstro View Post
or cam chain tensioner ?

My crazy bike build
yamahaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:51 AM   #3603
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaman View Post
I have heard of a few with the liner coming loose and causing a exessive rattle.
I once had a sleeve that was pressed in too low or a bad resleeve that allowed it to be loose which resulted in head gasket leak. The bike still ran but took an outside observer to see the blowing fumes past the head gasket. bike had a fried head at first, possibly from that escaping gas overheating it. Resulted a loud popping sounding like a head exhaust leak when revved.

What I'm getting at is that it seems the sleeve would settle into a high or low position if loose.

I've also improperly honed a cylinder resulting in piston slap.

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:46 AM   #3604
ORMoto
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Wind View Post
XT600 engines are built with a rather large piston clearance, so some piston slap on XT600s would be considered NORMAL, even desired.

Having said that, the noise on your video IS way too excessive. To me it sounds like someone (you) might have seriously messed up the valve clearances due to not correctly following procedure.
It made the same sound before and after i did the valve clearances. Which makes me think its something else, I was reading some more online, and alot of people say the cam belt tightens (or is spos to rather, if its not totally slacked out) when you rev the bike, so the noise could go away if it was the cam belt.

Watching these video's someone posted, but they are not great for telling which bolts to remove ect, so i think i'll take it to a local small time shop, and have them there into it for me.
ORMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:56 PM   #3605
damo2010
damo

Oddometer: 412
Just asking what might be a silly Q
I though cam chain noise would be different to valve clearance and piston slap
If I'm hearing correctly on the video, it is a distinct ping type sound that continues when revved
I'm no expert but I'd be interested to know the outcome if this

Yamaha Tenere XTZ660 4UX
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...rbiW8y1XLQCMtY
damo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:36 PM   #3606
ORMoto
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo2010 View Post
Just asking what might be a silly Q
I though cam chain noise would be different to valve clearance and piston slap
If I'm hearing correctly on the video, it is a distinct ping type sound that continues when revved
I'm no expert but I'd be interested to know the outcome if this
This is where i'm confused Also... I really wanna Tear into it, it would be the 1st time I ever Opened up a 4stroke motor... Very curious what area's inside there need tending too. If i can find a detailed link, i might just give it a go.

Also, is removing the motor from bike needed to remove top end ?
Old 08-23-2012, 12:51 AM   #3607
McGoo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORMoto View Post
This is where i'm confused Also... I really wanna Tear into it, it would be the 1st time I ever Opened up a 4stroke motor... Very curious what area's inside there need tending too. If i can find a detailed link, i might just give it a go.

I haven't done it, but apparently not. There is meant to be enough wiggle room once tank, coils, etc are off to get the head and the barrel off. It's only the crankcase that needs engine out.
McGoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:24 AM   #3608
webmonstro
A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORMoto View Post

No it is not necessary

Can you pinpoint the noise ? valve cover maybe ?

Maybe just remove vale cover and have a look

thinking like rocker arms ?

Nuno
webmonstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:13 AM   #3609
damo2010
damo

Oddometer: 412
I'm just thinking, if you get on ok with your local bike store maybe you can ask the mechanic to give his impression so you have some idea before opening up

Yamaha Tenere XTZ660 4UX
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...rbiW8y1XLQCMtY
damo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:16 AM   #3610
xtscruff
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
help!!!

i have a xt600z, it has recently been stalling below 2000rpm, it has massivews shut down popnbang, this has happened when the bike fails to tick over or slowing down, i have been informed this is most likely the idle jet has a blockage, but, today i go to start it and nothing, its turning over, but the spark is very weak, anyone got any ideas,please, i bought this while still sorting the xt550 out.
xtscruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:12 AM   #3611
A-Wind
Andreas RD07a

Oddometer: 598
The first time I was listening to your recording I said it was way too excessive. I guess the feel of the sound out of the computer did not let me feel in well enough. Also (at first time listening) I heard a much stronger pronounced high notes ticking for whatever reason. Perhaps some speaker quality issues or maybe it was too early for me in the morning. BTW: I challenge others who posted here to listen closer again as well.

Indeed, now I listened to it again and it sounds very similar to the sound that my engine is making for about the past 30.000 miles.

It IS certainly (the for the XT600 typical AND for the XT600 harmless) piston slap, as mentioned earlier. If you listen to it carefully, the noise should be a bit different (somewhat louder) in cold condition and would get a bit better after warming up, although sometimes when the engine is really hot you might hear it even louder.

It is all normal = no worries, ride the bike, ride it until the wheels fall off AND don't let anybody tell you othervise!

If the engine runs strong and does not use more than 1 quart oil per 1000km, then I would under NO circumstances open this engine, as any attempt (especially by somkeone for hire) tying to fix this might very well turn out to be the END of your engine.

A-Wind screwed with this post 08-23-2012 at 02:41 PM Reason: added text: if the engine runs strong and does not use more than 1 quart oil per 1000km, then...
A-Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:25 AM   #3612
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
I think it sounds really excessive
Old 08-23-2012, 02:50 PM   #3613
A-Wind
Andreas RD07a

Oddometer: 598
The XT600 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JensEskildsen View Post
I think it sounds really excessive
I would love to hear/see a video of yours running as a comparison.

A-Wind screwed with this post 08-23-2012 at 03:37 PM
A-Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:10 PM   #3614
ORMoto
n00b

I've seem a fair amount of video's on youtube of the same bike. Some sound like this, others don't. I redid and rechecked the Valves again today. Still Ting Ting Tinging down the road like an OG
Old 08-24-2012, 01:15 AM   #3615
xtscruff
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Oi

How about a real problem that stops the bike running!!! i asked a question on this thread yesterday, regarding my xt600z, but it seems like everyone wants to comment on a bit of cylinder noise, i may be a newbie on here, but have been riding since 1981,

Thanks
xtscruff is offline   Reply With Quote