User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2012, 02:59 AM   #3616
vudu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Oi Yourself

So if you have a weak spark. Id expect problem is 'lectrical. Stators can be iffy on the earlier bikes. Coils fail. Replaced the spark plug? Got a manual? Given the rough running you may have fuel issues too.

Work through the basics. Fuel, air, spark and everything that connects them. Clean and or replace. There's no magic here.
And I've only had a license since '82.

And etiquette demands you show us some pics.

Here's mine:-

By the way some of us love slappers!

vudu screwed with this post 08-24-2012 at 03:01 AM Reason: clarrity
vudu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:19 AM   #3617
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Wind View Post
I would love to hear/see a video of yours running as a comparison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UF2F...8&feature=plcp

Heres an old crap video, will make another tomorrow , the sound is the same tho.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:20 AM   #3618
A-Wind
Andreas RD07a

Oddometer: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by JensEskildsen View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UF2F...8&feature=plcp

Heres an old crap video, will make another tomorrow , the sound is the same tho.
Yes, yours appears to sound better, but I think how the video is made makes a big difference too. On your video, your custom exhaust probably overpowers the microphone, in addition you are not close enough to the engine and potential engine noise is shielded by the larger extended gastank. So it is difficult to compare. At the same time, towards the end of your video, it appeared to me that there were rattling noises coming out of your engine, but then again overpowered by the factors as mentioned before.

Growing up with Teneres and XTs, I heard lot's of XT engines before and as "ORMoto" said, some sound better, some sound worse, almost to a point where it becomes an individual signature. For example there was a time, I could identify my fathers bike's engine (by it's typical rattle signature) on approach already from a hundred feet or more just by hearing. Clearly and even among other XTs or Teneres .

@xtscruff: There is simply not enough info in your post to identify the problem. As posted, it can be virtually everything: air filter, carbs, choke, CDI, Coil, Stator/Ignition-combo. You'll have to start checking everything one by one. You mentioned weak spark, which is subjective, e.g. I always believed my bike had a somewhat weak spark, at the same time never had any spark related performance issues.
A-Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:16 PM   #3619
jch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
My new 1991 XT600E for my sons. Not sure I am going to keep the Corbin seat. If anyone has an interest send me a PM. Also need some advice on a rear rack. I saw some mention of a SW Motec
rack but cannot find a source. Twisted throttle does not show on their website. It is going to be much more difficult to farkle this compared with my KLR.

jch screwed with this post 08-24-2012 at 03:00 PM
jch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:35 PM   #3620
Beemerboff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,209
Plenty of Ex Oz Army bikes with huge racks/side frames in Oz , but postage would be a problem, as they are one piece welded construction, and Oz postage is ridiculously expensive

Pity, as mine is surplus to requirement and I am interested in the Corbin seat -----.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:28 PM   #3621
Sydney Andy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Yep, just discovered the hard way that the ex-Army back rack packs too large (not heavy) for Auspost to accept (the fine gent I am working a deal with tried THREE different POs to try and get it in). Looks like it will need to modified to make it up to me in Sydney from "mexico".

Andy
Sydney Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:38 PM   #3622
Beemerboff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,209
Good move trying different POs, they are all franchised now and the owners just make it up as they go along, particularly the Vietnamese.

Any of these guys tried bus freight - you have to deliver to and pick up from the bus depot so it is expensive for what you get but they take just about anything.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:50 AM   #3623
snofrog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 749
on my 87 the bottom oil line is leaking where it mounts to the case . I have a brand new seal in it . are the bolts supposed to have sealent on em ?
snofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:31 AM   #3624
webmonstro
A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofrog View Post
on my 87 the bottom oil line is leaking where it mounts to the case . I have a brand new seal in it . are the bolts supposed to have sealent on em ?
i think you suposed to have a copper washer
webmonstro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:57 AM   #3625
snofrog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by webmonstro View Post
i think you suposed to have a copper washer
the pdf file I have doesnt show one . only the o-ring
snofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:11 PM   #3626
A-Wind
Andreas RD07a

Oddometer: 599
almost 20 years ago...

when comfort was rather unimportant and it was simply only about the ride...

A-Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:39 PM   #3627
Sydney Andy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerboff View Post
Good move trying different POs, they are all franchised now and the owners just make it up as they go along, particularly the Vietnamese.

Any of these guys tried bus freight - you have to deliver to and pick up from the bus depot so it is expensive for what you get but they take just about anything.
.... the back up plan is the Greyhound Express.... ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Wind View Post
when comfort was rather unimportant and it was simply only about the ride...
....we were all "harder" when we were young....
Sydney Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:11 AM   #3628
lovemoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
YAMAHA XT 660
Old 08-26-2012, 01:07 PM   #3629
TheRadBaron
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
WTB: Camshaft

One of the last pieces that I'm missing for my XT600 is a good camshaft. My motor is an '89, but I think that any year cam will work. The only ones on Ebay are in people's stores and they're totally overpriced or scored up garbage. Anyone here have a good extra cam that they'd be willing to sell me? Thanks.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:40 AM   #3630
xtscruff
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
oi oi oi lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by vudu View Post
So if you have a weak spark. Id expect problem is 'lectrical. Stators can be iffy on the earlier bikes. Coils fail. Replaced the spark plug? Got a manual? Given the rough running you may have fuel issues too.

Work through the basics. Fuel, air, spark and everything that connects them. Clean and or replace. There's no magic here.
And I've only had a license since '82.

And etiquette demands you show us some pics.

Here's mine:-

By the way some of us love slappers!
Thanks, lol, i thought being a bit cheeky would get a response from someone, the issue was caused by none of the above, it has a scottoiler on it and the vacuum hose had been fubar'd, but i only found this when i started to dismantle ( bloody fuel tank was rather full, had nothing other than a xt550 tank to drain into) carbs and plug where cleaned at the
same time, as i thought it might be the pilot blocked, then i noticed the choke assembly is a bit worn so have ordered a new part, but now i have replaced the vac' line, she is running better than when i first picked it up 3 weeks ago.
i have taken it green laning, but its a bit heavier than my xt550, but still fun,

i will put up some pics, when i suss out how to do it, computers arent my strong point, but thanks again for the reply
xtscruff is offline   Reply With Quote