Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2012, 03:44 AM   #3631
xtscruff
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRadBaron View Post
One of the last pieces that I'm missing for my XT600 is a good camshaft. My motor is an '89, but I think that any year cam will work. The only ones on Ebay are in people's stores and they're totally overpriced or scored up garbage. Anyone here have a good extra cam that they'd be willing to sell me? Thanks.
have a look at moorespeed, they do a whole variety of parts for the xt600's,

* i have nothing to do with the company mentioned, so am not advertising*

sorry for the disclaimer but when i posted something similar on another forum i got grief for advertising
xtscruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:56 AM   #3632
TheRadBaron
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Thanks for the moorespeed heads up. They have a lot of cool stuff for sale, but not really what I'm looking for for a used camshaft. I'm just hoping that one of the XT fanatics on this thread has some extra motor parts laying around with a good extra camshaft.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:24 AM   #3633
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Wind View Post
Yes, yours appears to sound better, but I think how the video is made makes a big difference too. On your video, your custom exhaust probably overpowers the microphone, in addition you are not close enough to the engine and potential engine noise is shielded by the larger extended gastank. So it is difficult to compare. At the same time, towards the end of your video, it appeared to me that there were rattling noises coming out of your engine, but then again overpowered by the factors as mentioned before.
Heres a video from today, with db-killer mounted, and I get closer to the engine. The engine sounds doesnt match real world sound, it sounds a bit "worse" on the video than it is, I guess the microphone on my cellphone isn't the best around

It IS hard to compare sounds through videos, so just take it for what it is :)

Old 08-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #3634
ishmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
I might have the chance of buying an 2003 model Yam XT600E with only 8 thousand miles in great condition for 1,100 (british) pounds, this would be used for a second bike, messing about on, some green lane stuff (nothing serious), fun etc....

From owners here; how do you rate the XT600E as a no-frills trail bike..? Would love to hear your comments please.

Appreciated!
ishmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:48 PM   #3635
snowjob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishmac View Post
I might have the chance of buying an 2003 model Yam XT600E with only 8 thousand miles in great condition for 1,100 (british) pounds, this would be used for a second bike, messing about on, some green lane stuff (nothing serious), fun etc....

From owners here; how do you rate the XT600E as a no-frills trail bike..? Would love to hear your comments please.

Appreciated!
Don't do it

Seriously, I am moving to the UK in a month or so and looking for exactly the bike you describe. It makes a pretty good general purpose off-road bike. A bit heavy for single track, but should be great for green laning (I will know for sure soon). I figure all of the mods I have done on my USA bike can transfer straight to the one I hope to buy in the UK. Though I am considering breaking the bank and opting for something new and orange (300 2-stroke, 500 EXC or even the Freeride).
snowjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:46 PM   #3636
pappito
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishmac View Post

Appreciated!
Don't listen to Snowjob just buy the bike!

I did the same, bought a bike with 4 digits on the clock and now it has 19000km in it and still like a swiss watch, every day.
It is too heavy for serious terrain but ideal for gravel/unsealed roads, seaside and grass. We have long kms gravel here in NZ (the tarmac is not a national fetish for kiwis ) and the bike is just perfect for them even on shitty-rainy weather. If you want to ride on the cliffs, like goats, the XT600 is too heavy for sure, you have to pick a light 2stroke.

I never had any problem* with the bike and stock tires on muddy gravel, dry gravel, beach and tarmac at all, so go for it. I think the bike is still a product from the good old school, basic parts, no computer wizardry, the good old carbs and stuff.

*= except rider problems :)
pappito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:55 PM   #3637
pappito
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosley1980 View Post

What I make NOW is MARK V. in preparation is the MARK VII now.
MARK VII

Hey, Radan, this is awesome! I see you are leaving out the middle part, maybe it is not as good idea, the middle one is helping the weight to be evenly distributed - hence bigger comfort, and the little spikes are giving better grip for the boots.

MARK VI is ugly :-)
This is a particularly heavy one or what? I love it, seriously, looks military grade massive !

Don't stop inventing and improoving, well done, mate!

I am so happy with the stainless ones you have made for me, I am riding standing up a lot sinse I've got them!
pappito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:09 PM   #3638
damo2010
damo

Oddometer: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappito View Post
Don't listen to Snowjob just buy the bike!

I did the same, bought a bike with 4 digits on the clock and now it has 19000km in it and still like a swiss watch, every day.
It is too heavy for serious terrain but ideal for gravel/unsealed roads, seaside and grass. We have long kms gravel here in NZ (the tarmac is not a national fetish for kiwis ) and the bike is just perfect for them even on shitty-rainy weather. If you want to ride on the cliffs, like goats, the XT600 is too heavy for sure, you have to pick a light 2stroke.

I never had any problem* with the bike and stock tires on muddy gravel, dry gravel, beach and tarmac at all, so go for it. I think the bike is still a product from the good old school, basic parts, no computer wizardry, the good old carbs and stuff.

*= except rider problems :)
I have a Tenere and just finished the two weeks APC rally and did some pretty awesome hill climbs and sand work. Yes, it's heavy, but that's part of a good solid bike that is hard to kill. With the right momentum you'd be surprised where you can get them to.

Yamaha Tenere XTZ660 4UX
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...rbiW8y1XLQCMtY
damo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:40 PM   #3639
ishmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Thanks for the replies guys.

I probably won't be doing much off-road / green lane stuff to be honest, mainly roads from A to B stuff.

Stupid question time, has the 2003 model XT600E got electronic ignition??
ishmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:20 AM   #3640
TheRadBaron
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
It sure does. Breaker points disappeared after the '70s. I like points for their simplicity and ease of troubleshooting, but they sure are a pain. Electronic ignition is one of the greatest advances in motorcycling. That and o-ring chains.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:40 AM   #3641
xtscruff
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Hi, a few days ago i posted up a question regarding the issue i have on my 3aj, i discovered that the previous owner had put a scottoiler on the bike, the issur was caused by the vac' pipe being split and not on the intake nozzle on the manifold, runs sweet now.
Decided to change the brake pads, is it me or are they a trial to reinstall? It drove me nuts, got to put a new bulb in one of the front lamps and then out on the road/tracks.

Even though its a heavy bike, is there anything wrong with greenlaning or track riding it??
I ask this because i met a few people at the weekend while hammering along some tracks and they where on mx type enduro bikes and ripped me for being on a heavy weight, unless they where jealous perhaps.
xtscruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:02 AM   #3642
damo2010
damo

Horses for courses is a saying I remember
Mx or super moto bike have there place but the humble tenere or xt is comfortable in a lot of condition and not just flat out every where. On my APC rally the scenery was worth going a bit slower to be able to look around a bit. Narrow minded people like that would no doubt give u the bird if they were on a HD, personally I wave to anyone on two wheels and appreciate that they have different styles and likes

Yamaha Tenere XTZ660 4UX
Old 08-30-2012, 04:08 AM   #3643
damo2010
damo

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtscruff View Post

Even though its a heavy bike, is there anything wrong with greenlaning or track riding it??
just remember, if you venture into difficult terrain you need to be able to at least pick it up and have a reasonable range of tools to fix it if needed, and don't go somewhere that is clearly out of yours or the bike skills. otherwise you risk pissing of other riders that help you if you are totally unprepared. Having said that, they are very capable and reliable bike and are a lot of fun so go enjoy it and see how far you can take it.

Yamaha Tenere XTZ660 4UX
Old 08-30-2012, 06:25 AM   #3644
snowjob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by damo2010 View Post
Great picture! Reminds me of parts of Michigan, either along the telephone lines or ATV trails, with tons of deep loose sand and a fully loaded XT. So how did you fare going through this? Get it up to 40 mph to stay on top or foot-slog through at 5 mph? I found it very difficult to convince myself to go that fast with a fully loaded bike, but once I did it the riding got a lot better. At one point I was riding the fully loaded bike through this type of sand, hit whoops and the bike was completely sideways in the air on the trail......just gave it throttle while in the air and it somehow straightened out and kept going. Definitely one of the highlights of learning sand.
snowjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:40 PM   #3645
damo2010
damo

I come unstuck in Dangalli NP in some sand with very high sided wheel track and the started a fish tail kind of thing but I prepped myself to go down before going sideways into a barb wire fence and avoided hurting myself. Could have just gased it and might have pulled it straight, but at the time that was my instinct.
The photo was in the Murray sunset NP and I was pretty happy with riding the whoops, but still frekin hard work as launching of them fully loaded with trees right next to the track was not an option.
I did theses section on my own so was riding to look after myself

I did get the tenere way out of line across some big wash out 6 months ago and it is amazing how the XT seem to recover. They seem to be predicable and better than I am at recovering them selves
In the Simpson desert sand I was starting to learn to just hand on when it got out of line, keep momentium happening and the steer damper seemed to pull it straight. It became quite entertaining to see what you could pull off over some of the hills

Yamaha Tenere XTZ660 4UX