Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2012, 10:50 PM   #3676
furylow
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
Neglect is a bad thing. Mine has only been idle for 6 months! Too long, yet alone 7 years! Outside? I'd say the motor is full of rust and gunk. Even if the motor was fogged 7 years ago that is too long to sit. May need to remove the top end. Those fork seals are probably junk too.
Yes, one fork was leaking, I have removed and fitted a new one. Not a easy task to do without the correct tool (the bar which fits inside the fork and retains the lower screw)

I have also dismantiled the carburettor, cleaned the jets, and changed the rubber manifold.Now the bike starts but sounds like a rat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZHGirl View Post
Just unscrew the automatic compressor until the engine sounds better. This screw is located on the cable witch get from the kick starter to the cylinder head.
Yes, but If I unscrew it too much it also does this sound. The screw I wanna know the pruporse is the one fitted in the top, near of the valve head.

Thanks!
(I'll post more photos of the restauration lately)
furylow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:40 AM   #3677
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,285
I have a 1st gen 600 and it's different from your 2nd generation 600. I don't know where this screw is you type of. Looked at the microfiche and didn't even see the cable my first gen uses for decomp on the exhaust cam.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....e=13&A=111&B=2

Some one will come along and help. Service manual would help too. Just have to keep at it!
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:50 AM   #3678
furylow
n00b

Haha I dont have the bloody 2kf service manual! only the electric start manual, wich obviously doesnt do the job!

the screw I mention is the one on the blue spot

Thanks for helping!
Old 09-11-2012, 07:42 AM   #3679
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

All that does is hold the decomp cam assembly in place.

Your cable is F'd though! Did someone wrap the cable around a bolt??

Get a new one and there should be about .5mm to 1mm clearance from the actuator to the cam.

The old microfiche is much better...

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....pe=13&A=54&B=2

I got my XT running this morning, new gas but the float got stuck open and a fuel line broke. Repaired. Now the carb is full of junk.

EDIT: My main jet was plugged as well as the pilot jet. Remove and clean, now it's rideable. There is a stumble around 3k rpm's though. May have to remove the carbs. Some nasty green junk. Long term storage tip: shut off fuel at petcock and drain the float bowl. That old gas really screws up the carb.

D.T. screwed with this post 09-11-2012 at 10:52 AM
Old 09-11-2012, 01:12 PM   #3680
ORMoto
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Took the XT to a friend who works for yamaha and he said alot of older xt's sound just like mine... so for now, i'm sticking to replacing the other things i know need it... Tires / Sprockets / Chain/ Chain Rollers... Having a hell of a time finding the Swing arm chain roller in the states. Anyone know a good place, also i want to get an exhaust and rear rack setup. Anyone selling one =)
ORMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:16 PM   #3681
BZHGirl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by furylow View Post
Haha I dont have the bloody 2kf service manual! only the electric start manual, wich obviously doesnt do the job!

the screw I mention is the one on the blue spot

Thanks for helping!
the screw you show use to retain the shaft on the cylinder head.... Don't touch it.
The screw I spoke is located on the cable (the cable get into the hole in the screw) and is not visible on your picture because it's 20cm left, and just behind the frame. I take a picture tomorow.
If you speak french, you can upload the Workshop manual called "RT N 50" here:
http://dl.free.fr/getfile.pl?file=/eEPjyiod

and maybe some other informations here: http://600xt.bbfr.net/t8877-revues-techniques
BZHGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:15 PM   #3682
SmokeyB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORMoto View Post
Took the XT to a friend who works for yamaha and he said alot of older xt's sound just like mine... so for now, i'm sticking to replacing the other things i know need it... Tires / Sprockets / Chain/ Chain Rollers... Having a hell of a time finding the Swing arm chain roller in the states. Anyone know a good place, also i want to get an exhaust and rear rack setup. Anyone selling one =)

http://www.lytleracinggroup.com/ has what you want, I haven't bought from them so usual disclaimer applies.

Here's a search that should get you there:

http://www.lytleracinggroup.com/sear...q=ssaaXT600zz~
SmokeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:48 PM   #3683
furylow
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZHGirl View Post
the screw you show use to retain the shaft on the cylinder head.... Don't touch it.
The screw I spoke is located on the cable (the cable get into the hole in the screw) and is not visible on your picture because it's 20cm left, and just behind the frame. I take a picture tomorow.
If you speak french, you can upload the Workshop manual called "RT N 50" here:
http://dl.free.fr/getfile.pl?file=/eEPjyiod

and maybe some other informations here: http://600xt.bbfr.net/t8877-revues-techniques
the first link asks me for a confirmation code, and the second I need register into that forum...

Is the position of the lever right acording to that photo?
Old 09-11-2012, 11:51 PM   #3684
BZHGirl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
the first link asks me for a confirmation code (...)
the code is writen just the line over. I've got this workshop manual in PDF, if you are interested with, please MP.

Quote:
the first link asks me for a confirmation code, and the second I need register into that forum...

Is the position of the lever right acording to that photo?
YEP

1- Clearance system
2- Nut
3- Arm
4- Clearance 0.5mm when your piston is on the top position but end of compression.

Hope it helps you.

BZHGirl screwed with this post 09-11-2012 at 11:53 PM Reason: mistake
BZHGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:55 AM   #3685
snofrog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORMoto View Post
I just picked up a MooseRacing chain roller that has sealed roller bearings PN.1231-0036 . It came with the bolt and threads into the stock location with a couple of washers as shims...
snofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:30 AM   #3686
ORMoto
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofrog View Post
I just picked up a MooseRacing chain roller that has sealed roller bearings PN.1231-0036 . It came with the bolt and threads into the stock location with a couple of washers as shims...
Nice find !I ordered a Couple, one for top, one for Bottom. I'm having an Impossible Time tho find the SwingArm Chain Roller. Dealers are saying 1-2 weeks to get it. Not the block the chain rolls on, but there is a roller on the inside of the swing arm that is very worn on mine... After that, just gotta find a used exhaust, and someone to make me a rack to put my ammo cans on =) Anyone on here make racks for these things ? I dont weld

ORMoto screwed with this post 09-12-2012 at 04:42 PM
ORMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:37 AM   #3687
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

They would be better if you could bolt a rubber insert in to reduce vibrations to the feet...

My 2 cents...
Old 09-15-2012, 07:33 AM   #3688
bosley1980
Rider

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
They would be better if you could bolt a rubber insert in to reduce vibrations to the feet...

My 2 cents...
Yes, rubber is good for comfort and long distance, but you try stand if you have wet boots? It is very annoying...
maybe there is some rubber gripped went, but I did not thought about it.

Thank you for note.
bosley1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:45 AM   #3689
snowjob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
XT675 Cylinder O-ring

Good news, the XT675 big-bore project from nearly a year ago is finally going back together. I got side-tracked by a $500 YZ450f that had a cracked case. While installing the cylinder, I ran into a glitch. There is a chamfer on the bottom of the cylinder to receive the o-ring. When the cylinder is bored larger to fit the new liner, this chamfer gets much smaller (the machine shop did not re-cut it larger). Now the o-ring will not fit into the chamfer when assembling the cylinder.

Original cylinder chamfer:

Big-bore (101mm, +6mm O/S) chamfer:

A few thoughts I have:

1. Find a thinner o-ring
2. Machine the chamfer back to size
3. Don't use an o-ring
4. Use some type of gasket sealer/maker, but what kind?

Has anyone else run into this issue? What is the purpose of the o-ring? I know someone in this thread stated that is seals the crankcase. The base gasket is just a simple paper gasket, so I can see this being an issue with crank pressure/vacuum if not dealt with. I realize the crank is vented, but these pistons move such a large amount of air, I am sure the pressure/vacuum would be significant.
snowjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:15 PM   #3690
Dannog
n00b

Hoping someone can help. I wanted to fit a tacho to my 92 XT600E.

I purchased a new tacho from ebay hoping that once I sorted the wiring and added the tacho cable from the motor everything would be OK.

Unfortunitely, the centres of the bolts holes for the bracked don't align with the triple clamp.

Does anyone know if a triple of a pre 1991 XT600 or any other model will be a direct bolt on to the headstem and forks.

I'm hoping that if I pick up a new top triple clamp and headlight bracket all will work out.

Thanks
Dannog is offline   Reply With Quote