Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 03:22 PM   #3736
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowjob View Post
Funny you should say this. I was just joking about this possibility with a few other inmates last night. I have an XT600 in Wisconsin, and getting parts is a real pain. My best success has been KEDO in Germany, but it is still slow and costly to order them.

The funny part is that I am moving to the UK on Saturday and will likely get another XT600 once I arrive. As an aside, I made my own rear rack for the XT since ordering one was costly. Not real pretty, but it worked great on my last trip.

The racks cost ~$30 worth of tubing and a bit of steel plate. The higher cost was the tubing bender. I already had all the other metal working gear to build them.
Been there, done that, bought and sold 2 tubing benders, pipe benders actually.

I'd like to not have to do that again for this XT I have now. It was a lot of work. The only thing I might do is cut out space for the BRMoto loops and weld those into place using the RikyCross brackets and mounting points. Add a crossbar. Already have the rear rack, make a nylon board to expand mounting space, add a locking toolbox underneath. Make my own soft bags and cable nets. I don't already own the metal equipment, and I know what it costs, and what it costs in time to trade hours with a metal shop.

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:26 AM   #3737
jch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannog View Post
I picked up a send hand tacho pick up drive (from the earlier XT model) that bolts straight into the existing heads. There is a cover plate on the head now which I can remove and the drive bolts straight in. New tacho cable and everything works. Problem is still mounting the speedo/tacho mount plate to the triple as the centres dont line up and I have been unable to find a second hand one on ebay yet.

The tacho drive looks like this and bolts into the RHS of the cyclinder head.

Great, thanks for the info. Any idea if the plug in for the existing nuetral and turn signal lights will plug right in to the tach? Did you figue out yet how to mount the new tach?
jch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:02 PM   #3738
bosley1980
Rider

Oddometer: 162
Cool2 New tire

Thank you all for your advice.
I finally decided on the premium series Bridgestone Trail Wing 301 and 302.

bosley1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:27 AM   #3739
joatmoa
Joatmoa

Oddometer: 46
New Bridgestone Tyres

Now you will discover why the Green Laning fraternity in the UK call them "Death Wings".
joatmoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:29 AM   #3740
bosley1980
Rider

Bluhduh Tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by joatmoa View Post
Now you will discover why the Green Laning fraternity in the UK call them "Death Wings".
If the tires are bad why would produce?
If it is too wet NO ride. And if with a different style. I am not bikers who would ride into turns as the superbike - quiet relaxing ride around 80 km/h.
If they do not satisfy me so I replace them.

AND WHAT TIRES YOU HAVE?
Old 10-22-2012, 12:28 PM   #3741
snowjob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Quote:
Not just the UK, we also use that phrase in the US. Really like the Pirelli MT21 myself, but they do wear quickly if you put on lots of road miles.
snowjob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:49 PM   #3742
vudu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Not much help after the fact. I found the trail wings a reasonable dual sport tyre with decent road performance and longevity. I also currently have MT21's but riding is mostly bush and they do wear quick on the road. Noisy too.

YMMV
vudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:16 AM   #3743
joatmoa
Joatmoa

XT600E Tyres

I use the Mefo MFE99 as I'm off around the World next year and I think these will get me to the USA/Canada where I will probably put Kendas on. The Kendas are not available in the UK.
I'm very impressed with the Mefos at the moment but I wouldn't go above 120kph on them as it tends to weave a bit.
The wear and grip levels are very good and I think they'll cope with Mongolia, the BAM road and a Road of Bones.
See www.joatmoa.com and click on Round the World.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:16 AM   #3744
Icepick62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
PDF Manual

Does anyone know where I can get an electronic copy of the service manual for and '85 XT 600?
Thanks
Icepick62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:37 AM   #3745
Coots
That's what she said

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icepick62 View Post
Does anyone know where I can get an electronic copy of the service manual for and '85 XT 600?
Thanks

Check over on the Hubb (Horizons Unlimited) in the Tech under Yammy. I got mine from there for my 91.

Cheers

03 DL1000 "Bumble Bee"
91 XT600
03 SV650S SOLD
Coots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #3746
bosley1980
Rider

Cool2 tank

Quote:
I use the Mefo MFE99 as I'm off around the World next year and I think these will get me to the USA/Canada where I will probably put Kendas on. The Kendas are not available in the UK.
I'm very impressed with the Mefos at the moment but I wouldn't go above 120kph on them as it tends to weave a bit.
The wear and grip levels are very good and I think they'll cope with Mongolia, the BAM road and a Road of Bones.
See www.joatmoa.com and click on Round the World.
HI ANDY,

It is the tank from ACERBIS white? Or you painted self.
It is possible to lock the lid? There is one chamber or two?
Old 10-23-2012, 01:17 PM   #3747
Icepick62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
manual

Great, thanks!
Icepick62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:14 AM   #3748
joatmoa
Joatmoa

Tank etc

It's a white Acerbis tank which I bought second-hand with only 100 miles of use. It was ultra clean inside with no petrol staining.
The tank has the Acerbis lockable filler cap and it is one complete chamber. There are 2 taps so when the fuel gets low you can drain both sides out. The quantities appear to be as follows...
Tank = 24.3 litres
Reserve on LH Side = 1.4lts
Reserve on RH Side = 1.3lts
Total Reserve = 2.7lts
Fuel remaining in tank when Reserve is emptied out = 1.2 lts (0.6lts in each side. The front of the tank is lower than the tap positions.
This makes the tank a 23 litre tank NOT 24lts.
I'm happy with this as there are two XT600s and 2 DR650s going on the trip so in a really bad case scenario where we all run out of fuel, the XTs will have 2.4lts of fuel to tip into one of the DRs.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:23 AM   #3749
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 991
I've got the same white acerbis 23ltr tank and have been able to fill 24.7ltrs in mine when it was just about on fumes.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:27 AM   #3750
joatmoa
Joatmoa

Acerbis tank

Hi JensEskildsen
When I did the exercise, to see what my tank held, it was at room temperature as the bike was in a heated garage. You filled up, presumably, from a Filling Station where the fuel would have been colder and therefore you would get more in. In Mongolia the fuel is, quite often, stored above ground and is therefore warmer. The capacity of the tank will be less with warm petrol.
The MotoGP teams store their fuel in a freezer before filling their bikes thus allowing more fuel into their restricted fuel capacity bikes. As seen on the BBC MotoGP prelude last weekend.