User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2012, 08:54 PM   #3781
M@gneto
Esoteric Moto-Nomad

Oddometer: 285
supermoto

You will open a whole can of worms with that question. With most bikes, guys buy 17" rims, like Excell and lace them to the stock hubs. I've seen guys mount mags like the ones off the Suzuki GS500, but I don't think it is ever a straight bolt on application. There are spacer modifications and brake rotor adjustments. Keep us posted how you did it. I have an older XT600 and I was thinking about lacing a set of 17" wheels to it, but if you find a better way, I'm all ears.
Mag
It is the pervading law of all things organic and inorganic, of all things physical and metaphysical, of all things human and all things super-human, of all true manifestations of the head, of the heart, of the soul, that the life is recognizable in its expression, That form ever follows function. This is the law. Louis Sullivan
M@gneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:44 AM   #3782
no eye deer
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Woody*** View Post
Hi Mark,

Pretty sure the motor designation for the 2003 model is called the "3WR".
That is what I have in my 03 model anyway. Both my VIN and Engine numbers have 3WR in them.
Most accessories seem to fit our model from 1996 on so they must not have changed them much.

As far as I know the only difference between the Black and Blue models is the colour...hehe!!

Mine also is black and I am preparing it for a Cape York trip in June next year. Just waiting on racks to arrive from Hepco & Becker and I am just about ready to go. Have fitted the Acerbis 23L tank, Pro-circuit slip-on muffler, Wolfman Saddle and Roll Top bags, tinted screen, and GPS. Hope the old girl makes it ok!

Brett
Thanks fellas Good luck Brett!

Now ... Why would they make a black XT600 ? End of model run? Using up r1 paint? Stealth technology from the US?
no eye deer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:10 PM   #3783
TheRadBaron
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
I know that this is a long shot, but does anyone have a '89 or earlier, mostly complete bike for sale with a bad motor or no motor? I have a good '89 motor that I've put a lot of work into with the intentions of putting it in a '92 XT600E chassis, but I'd really rather have the earlier style bike. I know that there are some improvements to the E model like the rear disc brake, etc., but I just really like the look of the '84-'89 bikes a lot better.
I'd take a basket case or a roller, just as long as most of the chassis bits are there. It wouldn't be a deal-breaker if it was missing one or two major components, either. I just don't want to try to piece together a whole bike from Ebay or a salvage yard. I already have a good frame from an '89, so even if you just had a stash of most of the rest of the parts, I'd be interested in that, too. I'm in central Illinois, but I'd drive pretty far to get the right stuff. Thanks.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:10 AM   #3784
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
Just thought I would post a pic of my mostly finished xt600. I took it down to the frame and painted everything. Redid the engine, and basically have everything good on it, except one minor issue with the wiring that I cant seem to pin down.

Got new fork boots to install, have custom signal light brackets made but not installed (nothing fancy) I have to intstall the air catcher's on the tank, and about the last thing to make is a aluminum box or rack to replace the work bag on the rear fender.

And gotta decide if I want decals on it or not.

Fun project, I am gonna be selling it to a friend up here, and looking for another!

Here it is when i first bought it.

preppypyro screwed with this post 11-11-2012 at 07:16 AM
preppypyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:14 PM   #3785
TheRadBaron
Gnarly Adventurer

Parting out my '92

I've decided to part out my '92 XT600E. I have almost all of the bike and most of it is in good condition. Just about everything is for sale except the engine. I'm not trying to get rich off of these parts, I just want to free up some funds to continue with the project. I thought that I'd offer them for sale here before they went up for auction. I have some of he E-model engine pars for sale as well. I have the starter motor and gears, the stator and stator cover, engine cases, and other bis and pieces. If you need anything from a '92, just shoot me a PM and we can work something out. Thanks.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:23 PM   #3786
TheRadBaron
Gnarly Adventurer

Cam timing

Also, does anyone know of any way to verify that the cam timing is correct without taking the cam cover off of he engine? I just put my top end back together with a new cam chain. After I got the cam cover all bolted down, but before I put the cam chain tensioner in, I accidently turned the engine over. I don't think that there was enough slack in the new chain to allow the chain to skip a tooth but I'd like to make sure. I'd rather not pull the cam cover back off, but I'm not sure if it can be checked otherwise. There's a plug in the left side of the cam cover that you can take out and look at the cam gear, but it's not in a position that you can see any marks. Any ideas?
Old 11-12-2012, 12:23 AM   #3787
joatmoa
Joatmoa

Oddometer: 46
Cam Timing

There is no accurate way of checking the cam timing without removing the cover. If the engine turns over freely with the spark plug removed, start the engine. If it doesn't feel right, the cam is out of time. If it feels right, you won.
joatmoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:27 AM   #3788
TheRadBaron
Gnarly Adventurer

I think that I might have figured out a way to do it, but I'm not 100% sure that it's accurate. If you pull off the little round cover (or tach drive unit if so equipped) from the right side of the head where the end of the camshaft is, you can see the pin that's driven through the cam for the tach drive. I looked at another XT600 cam and this pin was located exactly 90 degrees off from the marks on the cam gear that align with the cylinder head surface. Hopefully I'm making sense. So based on that, if you set the motor at TDC, the tach drive pin should be exactly perpendicular to the mating surface of the head and the cam cover if the cam is timed correctly. What do you guys think?
Old 11-14-2012, 10:09 AM   #3789
webmonstro
A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRadBaron View Post
I think that I might have figured out a way to do it, but I'm not 100% sure that it's accurate. If you pull off the little round cover (or tach drive unit if so equipped) from the right side of the head where the end of the camshaft is, you can see the pin that's driven through the cam for the tach drive. I looked at another XT600 cam and this pin was located exactly 90 degrees off from the marks on the cam gear that align with the cylinder head surface. Hopefully I'm making sense. So based on that, if you set the motor at TDC, the tach drive pin should be exactly perpendicular to the mating surface of the head and the cam cover if the cam is timed correctly. What do you guys think?
should be correct
anyway if you remove the spark plug and turn the engien by hand

and fell no resistance noting locking up then you can safely start it

then if it does start and works well then it 's timed correcty if it's not it will not start or work in a correcte way
webmonstro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:41 AM   #3790
TheRadBaron
Gnarly Adventurer

Anyone have a junky '84-'89 tank for sale?

I've been reevaluating my XT600 project. As you might have gathered from my above posts, I have a '92 XT600E with an '89 engine that I've been working on. The problem is that I really hate the way it looks, but I really like the earlier, '84-'89 model. I dislike the styling so much that I was planning on parting out the '92 chassis and finding an earlier bike to put my good engine into. I came to the conclusion that that wasn't really a practical thing to do, so I sat in the chair in my shop and studied the bike yesterday evening and determined that it's mainly the shape of the gas tank that I dislike. If I managed to find a decent looking tank to swap onto it I might be able to love the bike.
The problem is that it's very difficult to swap a tank onto an E-model since the oil tank is the backbone of the frame and the oil lines stick out of it. It takes a pretty specially shaped tank to fit. Plus, I'd like to keep the original seat so I need a tank that will fit up with the seat well.
I'm thinking that I stand a chance to make an '84-'89 tank work. I'd have to heat it up and hammer dents into the tunnel of it to clear the oil lines, but I think the shape of the tank, mounting points, and seat compatibility might just work out. All the XT600 tanks on Ebay are around $100 and I don't really want to pay that for a tank that might not even work. Does anyone on here have a junky/dented/rusted tank that they'd sell me for cheap? Or if anyone lives in central Illinois, could I maybe swing by your place with my 600 on the trailer just to sort of mock up a tank that you might have? Thanks.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:06 PM   #3791
no eye deer
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerboff View Post
Good move trying different POs, they are all franchised now and the owners just make it up as they go along, particularly the Vietnamese.

Any of these guys tried bus freight - you have to deliver to and pick up from the bus depot so it is expensive for what you get but they take just about anything.
Our PO is run by a 7' gangsta rapper . Cant read and drifts off half way thru a page of registered mail!! Oy Vai!
no eye deer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:09 AM   #3792
webmonstro
A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer: 496
meanwhile in Portugal...

hi all

just droped by too show you all what great bike we have

Yesterday me and a couple of freind's went on a short ride

along the area of a local dam and river (Aguieira dam on the Mondego river)

In center Portugal

here's some pics:

in the morning there was alot of fog

Had to go over the train line

The train whent by after about 2 min after we went over

hope you'll injoy

Nuno
webmonstro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:01 AM   #3793
Marc gsbe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Marc gsbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:40 PM   #3794
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by webmonstro View Post
hi all

just droped by too show you all what great bike we have

Yesterday me and a couple of freind's went on a short ride

along the area of a local dam and river (Aguieira dam on the Mondego river)

In center Portugal

here's some pics:

in the morning there was alot of fog

Had to go over the train line

The train whent by after about 2 min after we went over

hope you'll injoy

Nuno
Thanks for posting!!
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:13 PM   #3795
jch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougfromindy View Post
*****I just bought this rack, its very nice HD from Germany, an sw motech brand, I will be mounting a givi e30 topbox to it....If you want one for spring you had better order now, not in stock, 3 months wait from Germany ***
Does anyone have this rack or another one that will fit on the back of my 1991 XT600E? Thanks
jch is offline   Reply With Quote