Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 03:10 PM   #3796
jch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
[QUOTE=Dannog;19749141]I picked up a send hand tacho pick up drive (from the earlier XT model) that bolts straight into the existing heads. There is a cover plate on the head now which I can remove and the drive bolts straight in. New tacho cable and everything works. Problem is still mounting the speedo/tacho mount plate to the triple as the centres dont line up and I have been unable to find a second hand one on ebay yet.

The tacho drive looks like this and bolts into the RHS of the cyclinder head.

[IMG]ht
Thanks for the info - I got a tach on my 1991 XT600E as follows

Had:
XT350 tach and cable, broken mounting plate from an xt350
Bought tacho drive as above on ebay for $30 shipped

I removed the blank plate from the head and mounted the tach drive (the blank plate was very brittle and a bitch to get out - it is now in about 5 pieces). Dremeled my half mounting plate and attached to one of the four handlebar bolts using the existing post hole in the bracket. Cut off the corresponding post on the tach. Attached the tach to the bracket using the other post. Attached the cable from the drive to the tach. It is higher than the guage cluster but is very solid an looks pretty good. I left all of the indicator lights alone and will likely just run a bulp to the tach to light

jch screwed with this post 10-11-2013 at 07:56 AM
jch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:42 PM   #3797
no eye deer
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quick question on oil filter bolt.

G'day,
just did the first filter change on the XT600e.
Usual story of stripped thread.
Question is, the top front bolt hole- does it have a channel at the end to lube the crank?
Some posts say use a longer bolt- some say dont.

I would either use a longer bolt (if I can find one) or use a stud and some thread repair epoxy stuff.
But dont want to block an oil channel with either a bolt or a gob of epoxy.
Hope you can help.
Mark
no eye deer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:49 AM   #3798
no eye deer
n00b

Come on you mob! The question is wafer thin....
Old 11-29-2012, 04:26 AM   #3799
Fred333
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Hi Mark,
there is just the lower bolt "doing" something.
The one with the bigger head and bigger thread.
If you pull out this lower bolt, you can drain the oilfilterhousing into the sump in order do avoid the mess when you take the oilfiltercover off.
That is (to my knowledge) the only "function" of this bolt.
The other two are just holding the cover.
Maybe you mean the very small screw on the top of the oilfilterhousing?
This one is need for getting the air out of the oilfilterhousing.
After the filterchange you start the engine and open this little screw.
When there is oil coming you close this screw. and you are done.
This provides lubrication for the head.
If this is total rubbish... tell me!
Olli

PS: Never swap out this lower bolt!
the diameter is vital!
It closes the channel for draining the oil into the sump.
Take the clutchcover off and repair the threads proper. So you can use the original bolts.

XT 600 Z Tenere (34L)

Fred333 screwed with this post 11-29-2012 at 04:39 AM
Fred333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:30 AM   #3800
TheRadBaron
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by no eye deer View Post
Come on you mob! The question is wafer thin....
Maybe the problem is with you, rather than with us. Your post is sort of strangely worded and not the easiest to understand. You're not entitled to an answer.

TheRadBaron screwed with this post 11-29-2012 at 05:36 AM
TheRadBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:54 AM   #3801
webmonstro
A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer: 519
Quote:
G'day,
just did the first filter change on the XT600e.
Usual story of stripped thread.
Question is, the top front bolt hole- does it have a channel at the end to lube the crank?
Some posts say use a longer bolt- some say dont.

I would either use a longer bolt (if I can find one) or use a stud and some thread repair epoxy stuff.
But dont want to block an oil channel with either a bolt or a gob of epoxy.
Hope you can help.
Mark
only the bootm one act's as a drain
i have used a stud in the past but best solution would be to just rebuitd tread with helicoil or someting

Nuno
webmonstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:06 AM   #3802
Fred333
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRadBaron View Post
Maybe the problem is with you, rather than with us. Your post is sort of strangely worded and not the easiest to understand. You're not entitled to an answer.
I think it has something to do with the way of life in Europe/Australia vs the way of life in the US and A.
I do know how Mark words are meant.
But this leads to nowhere...
Olli

XT 600 Z Tenere (34L)
Fred333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:13 PM   #3803
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,953
Hi guys, I am back.

I am trying to sort out this 1984 XT600 that runs pretty good but the idle seems to be off. When you give it gas it will run fine but the idle seems to hang around 3-4k RPM until I blip the throttle and then it comes back down. I need to make sure that the throttle valve and secondary piston aren't sticking open still but is there anything else that I might check out?

Jetting is all stock, float level is within spec, fuel screw is at 1.75 turns and all the intake rubber has been replaced so I am fairly confident that it is not drawing any air from unwanted places.

Thanks so much.
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:54 PM   #3804
no eye deer
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred333 View Post
Hi Mark,
there is just the lower bolt "doing" something.
The one with the bigger head and bigger thread.
If you pull out this lower bolt, you can drain the oilfilterhousing into the sump in order do avoid the mess when you take the oilfiltercover off.
That is (to my knowledge) the only "function" of this bolt.
The other two are just holding the cover.
Maybe you mean the very small screw on the top of the oilfilterhousing?
This one is need for getting the air out of the oilfilterhousing.
After the filterchange you start the engine and open this little screw.
When there is oil coming you close this screw. and you are done.
This provides lubrication for the head.
If this is total rubbish... tell me!
Olli

PS: Never swap out this lower bolt!
the diameter is vital!
It closes the channel for draining the oil into the sump.
Take the clutchcover off and repair the threads proper. So you can use the original bolts.
Thanks Fred,

Yeah, I mean the two top bolts that hold the oil filter cover on. The bottom (drain) screw and the bleed screw are still good. The one at the front facing the front wheel, is the stripped one.
My worry was was that this hole was open inside the crankcase. If I tried to rethread it, swarf would go into the engine. If I tried "Thread repair" it would put epoxy into the crankcase.
I SHOULD take the clutch cover -I know- but really I dont want too:) Too slack......
But I'll work on this, maybe get a stud if I can find someone in Cairns that has half a brain. The last bolt dealer I went to (biggish shop) said "Nah, thats an automotive thread. We dont have those"
Thanks Fred!! Done well!! Thanks Nuno! Usefull replies Good on ya!
Old 11-29-2012, 12:57 PM   #3805
no eye deer
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olas View Post
Hi guys, I am back.

I am trying to sort out this 1984 XT600 that runs pretty good but the idle seems to be off. When you give it gas it will run fine but the idle seems to hang around 3-4k RPM until I blip the throttle and then it comes back down. I need to make sure that the throttle valve and secondary piston aren't sticking open still but is there anything else that I might check out?

Jetting is all stock, float level is within spec, fuel screw is at 1.75 turns and all the intake rubber has been replaced so I am fairly confident that it is not drawing any air from unwanted places.

Thanks so much.
Sounds like -maybe- a frayed throttle cable? At the top prolly. Or sticky stuff around the carby linkages? Trapped/kinked throttle cable?
Mark
Old 11-29-2012, 01:58 PM   #3806
webmonstro
A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer: 519
Quote:
Sounds like -maybe- a frayed throttle cable? At the top prolly. Or sticky stuff around the carby linkages? Trapped/kinked throttle cable?
Mark
I've seen this happen on a 660 (similar carb) on the top of the primary carb there is a linkegde under the plastic cover
attached to a shaft this is what makes the slide rise and go down inside the carb, the link has a screw that hold it on the shaft
It was a little loose and the slide would not go down by itself making the idle hang until the throttle was bliped.

here: (blue arrow):

Nuno

webmonstro screwed with this post 11-30-2012 at 05:45 AM Reason: leared how to write
webmonstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:25 PM   #3807
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,197
Quote:
Hi guys, I am back.

Thanks so much.
Any photos of your 1984 XT 600?
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:17 PM   #3808
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,953
Quote:
Mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by webmonstro View Post
I've seen this happen on a 660 (similar carb) on the top of the primary carb there is a linkegde under the plastic cover
attached to a shaft this is what makes the slide rise and go down inside the carb, the link has a screw that hold it on the shaft
It was a little loose and the slide would not go down by itself making the idle hang until the throttle was bliped.

Nuno
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED XT FAN View Post
Any photos of your 1984 XT 600?
Thanks for the replies guys. I had to take the wheel off for repair. It will need new spokes. So once I get that sorted I will start on the carb again. I put some marvel mystery oil in the gas and ran it to lube and clean the inside of the carburetor while it sits with the wheel off. The engine felt and ran strong, and pretty quiet for 13,000 miles.

Ed, I will get some pics up very soon... The bike just looks so sad right now, I need to take care of some things on it first.

I am looking for a set of spokes for this '84 XT600. Can anyone point me in the right direction here? I see kedo has a set for the '87-'89 XT600s but they don't list anything for the '84. Where there some major changes done to the XT in '87?
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:44 AM   #3809
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,197
Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys. I had to take the wheel off for repair. It will need new spokes. So once I get that sorted I will start on the carb again. I put some marvel mystery oil in the gas and ran it to lube and clean the inside of the carburetor while it sits with the wheel off. The engine felt and ran strong, and pretty quiet for 13,000 miles.

Ed, I will get some pics up very soon... The bike just looks so sad right now, I need to take care of some things on it first.

I am looking for a set of spokes for this '84 XT600. Can anyone point me in the right direction here? I see kedo has a set for the '87-'89 XT600s but they don't list anything for the '84. Where there some major changes done to the XT in '87?
I got a rear set off e-bay a few years back. Just have to check it often, Kedo has a set for your bike too. Just tell them its a 43f model. Very good company to work with.
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:46 PM   #3810
jch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Fork oil replacement

I am going to change the fork oil on my 1991 xt600E, any big downside to draining from the drain holes as opposed to removing the entire forks. I am also condidering adding spacers to stiffen up the front suspension, bike is used 85% on road. Thanks
jch is offline   Reply With Quote