Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 12:47 PM   #3961
thumpthumpthump
Thumpthumpthump

Oddometer: 183
THe 84 - 89 models in the US were red and white. the 84- 88 had one less head bolt than the 89. the 84 - 88 were prone to 5th gear chipping problems usually around 30k. they inproved the oiling to the trans for the 89 but did not completely cure the problem. 90 and up use silver motors and blue plastic in the US. The 84-89 had an extierior oil tank the 90 and newer went back to the frame like the old xt 500s. They redesigned the transmition ratios and increased the rotational speed of the gears and cured the 5th gear chipping problem. They also moved the clutch to the other side and added electric start. Again this is the U.S. market. They did al kinds of cool things in the rest of the world. IN other words all the weeknesses of the first generation are all fixed. THe rest is down to care, condition and mileage.
thumpthumpthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:14 PM   #3962
steveloomis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Great info, Thanks...
Old 03-07-2013, 08:16 PM   #3963
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,219
Question Nikasil

That kind of sucks to know... Everything after '84 is nikasil? I always disliked them for their unborability. Now I ha e an '87, and I usually distrust any second hand cylinder after my experiences with e-bay on my xl600, even with steel sleeves. With those, the drill usually goes like this: they're way overpriced, the. There are way more scratches than they described, you have no idea what the bore size is or how much it needs to be bored, so you leave it with the machinist until the verdict is in, and THEN order the piston. It takes like a month and a half. I know I am only at about 14,000 miles into this xt's life, but this was sad news for me today since I want to own this bike until I can't kick start bikes anymore. So is there some other steel sleeved cylinder that will fit my '87, or a way to sleeve it in steel that costs less than a nikasil re-plating?

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:42 PM   #3964
thumpthumpthump
Thumpthumpthump

Calm down, only the TT has nikasil bores. All xt bores are steel. Your 87 if it is a Xt is steel. Boreaway !
Old 03-08-2013, 04:43 AM   #3965
thumpthumpthump
Thumpthumpthump

Motard

Just baught a 90 motor off ebay. Electric start, Good transmission. I plan on doing a cam and upping the compression and putting it in a 84-89 bike to make a motard. I'll keep my current 86 dirt orented and build this to replace my ninja. Any one put a oil cooler on the newer silver motor? There is an extra oil line that the old motor does not have. Can it be hooked into that? Any help or info would be welcome.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:38 AM   #3966
A-Wind
Andreas RD07a

Oddometer: 604
The XT600 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpthumpthump View Post
Just baught a 90 motor off ebay. Electric start, Good transmission. I plan on doing a cam and upping the compression and putting it in a 84-89 bike to make a motard.
The problem with that is, that the electric start motor is wider and your sprockets won't allign.

I believe the extra oil line that you are talking about is the one that cooles the 5th gear.

A-Wind screwed with this post 03-08-2013 at 07:47 AM
A-Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:39 PM   #3967
thumpthumpthump
Thumpthumpthump

HELP HELP! A Wind just threw a wrench in the works. would somebody with a 90 and up silver motor please measure from the seam of the center cases in middle of the engine to the sproket or the beginning of the sproket output shaft? I need to compare it to the first gen motor and see what I'm dealing with.The motor is allready shipped.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:39 PM   #3968
steveloomis
Gnarly Adventurer

I just re-read my post about the Nikasil. What I meant was the 84 was plated, all newer ones are steel liners. Check the parts lists and you will see NO over size pistons and rings for the 84, but newer ones do have oversize.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:00 PM   #3969
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,180
Thumb E-Start Motor in older frame?

Hi, I have a talk to a guy in UK who put a E-start motor in a TT 600 Frame. The TT 600 frame is almost the same the XT 600.
The Oil line will have to be custom made to fit the frame. The stock oil line will not work. Thats the top line.
He said the chain did not need any spacers to fit.
All XT 550 600 motors are almost the same. You can bore the cylinder. On the TT600 you can not.
The head on the XT 550 will not fit on the XT TT 600 motor.
Both side covers will interchange and will fit. Thats on the motor.
Also, the 90s 600 motor never had the clutch move to the other side.
Thump-On !! BIG ED XT&TT600 Fan!!
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:55 AM   #3970
thumpthumpthump
Thumpthumpthump

Correct you are ED on the clutch issue I misspoke. Mtothef on this forum put an e start motor in the first gen frame back in 2008. He said the alignment was off 1/4 inch too wide. He had to flip the primary sproket and counter sink the engine case bolts under the seal protector. Even then he could only run a non oring chain to get clearance. He said I would have to use the e start wiring harness, did the guy with the tt find an easyer solution? If anybody has found any other threads on the conversion please let me know, sometimes there are multiple ways to overcome an isuue. thanks! ED I hope you friend with the tt is right , it would make my life much easier.

thumpthumpthump screwed with this post 03-09-2013 at 05:04 AM
Old 03-09-2013, 08:01 AM   #3971
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpthumpthump View Post
Correct you are ED on the clutch issue I misspoke. Mtothef on this forum put an e start motor in the first gen frame back in 2008. He said the alignment was off 1/4 inch too wide. He had to flip the primary sproket and counter sink the engine case bolts under the seal protector. Even then he could only run a non oring chain to get clearance. He said I would have to use the e start wiring harness, did the guy with the tt find an easyer solution? If anybody has found any other threads on the conversion please let me know, sometimes there are multiple ways to overcome an isuue. thanks! ED I hope you friend with the tt is right , it would make my life much easier.
I will dig the e-mail out and check it out. Thump-On!! Big Ed XT&TT 600 Fan!!
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:49 AM   #3972
steveloomis
Gnarly Adventurer

OK, I stand corrected. I must have looked at a TT600 parts page by mistake. Sorry for the mis-information. I just verified on two different sites that the cylinders have the same part number and oversizes are available for 84-88 at least. I am relieved as I have not taken my 84 apart yet to see how the cylinder looks for rebuilding.... Happy....
Old 03-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #3973
bosley1980
Rider

Oddometer: 152
Wink Chainguard

Hi all,
this week I make a new longer chainguard from aluminium (1,0mm)

Original plastic was too short the lubricant remains of on my clothes (very bad for cleaning).
Maybe it edit with the matte black.
What do you think?
bosley1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:13 PM   #3974
yamalama
wet coaster

Oddometer: 1,078
nice chain guard.
matte black would look good.
yamalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:40 PM   #3975
steveloomis
Gnarly Adventurer

I have installed the Mark VII foot pegs on my '86 XT600 today. They fit perfectly, look great and feel wonderful. I ordered and received new pivot pins today as old ones were worn and very loose. I will take pictures today when it stops raining and send them Bosley1980 so he can post.

Your chain guard looks good. You might think about using some coating to dampen the vibration. Raw aluminum may vibrate and crack without something to dampen it. In the USA we have a product called truck bed coating. It is sprayed on the inside of a pickup truck bed to protect it from scratches and dings. Might work on the chain guard. It is a rough surface so maybe could be sprayed on the inside to dampen it. Just a thought.

steveloomis screwed with this post 03-09-2013 at 01:55 PM
steveloomis is offline   Reply With Quote