Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 06:02 PM   #4021
thumpthumpthump
Thumpthumpthump

Oddometer: 203
1 turn is 360 2 1/2 full rotations. If this improves your situation then you can fine tune it. If you have a tach set it about 1700 adjust in and out until you get your fastest idle. Then reset you idle to 1400 RPM.
thumpthumpthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:07 PM   #4022
thumpthumpthump
Thumpthumpthump

KOINZ unless you like the weight of that battry, ditch it and use a battry elininator. Its about the size of a d battry and weighs about as much as a tinfoil ball. Accel makes one for about 39 bucks. Cheepcycle parts sells them. I hope you have the skid plate. Lookin good.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:43 AM   #4023
KOINZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
I have seen something mentioned about these eliminators. I'll look into it. Thanks
KOINZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:02 PM   #4024
Buddaman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpthumpthump View Post
Sorry to break it to you but removing the baffle is not going to cause your bike to drink a tank of oil. I have removed baffles , changed pipes , put on Super Trapps, straight through , Two Brothers and others and it did not change oil consumption. Its leaking or burning it. It can go by rings , it can Go through the block breather into the air box after the filter and get reburned. It can leak through the valve guide seals, but would smoke briefly at startup after setting overnight or longer. I would do a compression leakdown test and check you rings. Just giving you my 2 cents.

Makes since, My bike the other week was smoking whitish smoke on start up for about 15 seconds or so for a couple of days but has since stopped, I thought this was common as long as its not excessive, no? It doesn't smoke all the time, only here and there? what do you think it is or should I be concerned. You said valve guide seals leaking would cause the smoke, what is needed to fix it? Thanks much
Buddaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:18 PM   #4025
DutchyKevin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
1 turn is 360 2 1/2 full rotations. If this improves your situation then you can fine tune it. If you have a tach set it about 1700 adjust in and out until you get your fastest idle. Then reset you idle to 1400 RPM.
thanks, I'll check it out
DutchyKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:38 PM   #4026
thumpthumpthump
Thumpthumpthump

I had the same white smoke at start up when I bought an old beater that was run with low oil. I think that the valve seals got dry and glazed. I put in Belray oil and it stoped almost immediately and never returned.

thumpthumpthump screwed with this post 03-18-2013 at 06:53 PM
Old 03-18-2013, 05:43 PM   #4027
Buddaman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
I had the same white smoke at start up when I bought an old beater that was run with low oil. I think that the valve seals got dry and glazed. I put in Belray iol and it stoped almost immediately and never returned.
Sweet thanks dude, Funny you say that cause it hasn't smoked since. Ill keep an eye on it.
Buddaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:12 AM   #4028
Stin_Kybum
n00b

Oddometer: 2
1990 xt600

Hi all,
I just got this 1990 XT600 last fall, haven't even had a chance to ride it yet!
Any tips for new riders/new XT600 users?
Stin_Kybum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:15 AM   #4029
steveloomis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Advice to new XT rider

Yeah, watch out for bug stains on your teeth from grinning while riding. Have fun. If you will read this thread from the beginning, you will learn MUCH. Even checking oil must be done correctly or your will over fill it... READ, READ, READ the whole thread. It will take a while but will be worth it.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:21 PM   #4030
thumpthumpthump
Thumpthumpthump

Well, the frame and engine are finally cleaned and painted. Man that sure sucked. I'll rebuild the forks next, as soon as the parts arrive. Anyb body have a decent rear frnder and left scoop for a 90-95?
Old 03-19-2013, 02:24 PM   #4031
thumpthumpthump
Thumpthumpthump

Stin, let us know when you get it on the road. How long has it been sitting and how long since it ran? What have you done since you bought it?
Old 03-19-2013, 03:39 PM   #4032
Stin_Kybum
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Stin, let us know when you get it on the road. How long has it been sitting and how long since it ran? What have you done since you bought it?
Well the guy I got it from drove it every day as a street bike last year and when I got it, it was too cold to drive so I drove a couple of laps around the yard but that's it. So that would be since last November. I haven't touched it yet. It needs: rear brake to be bled, back tire, right plastic scoop thing and I think that's it. And it was only $750 with 11,000 miles. I think it was a good deal. I tried starting it recently but battery was dead so after I charged it it started but only with full choke then wouldn't stay running. So once it gets warmer I'll have to see what's going on.
Stin_Kybum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:28 PM   #4033
thumpthumpthump
Thumpthumpthump

Check the air filter. You also may have to remove and clean the carbs. The float bowl should have been drained to prevent the jets from clogging.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:45 AM   #4034
donmoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
I hadn't taken the XT out in the dirt since I opened up the exhaust. Here's a little bit of the exploring I did in Joshua Tree over the weekend.
donmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:43 AM   #4035
zap2504
Dave E.

Oddometer: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stin_Kybum View Post
I tried starting it recently but battery was dead so after I charged it it started but only with full choke then wouldn't stay running. So once it gets warmer I'll have to see what's going on.
Also test the rubber/metal intake manifolds to see if they have delaminated (typical for the XT600s). While the bike is running, spray the manifolds with WD40 and see if the idle speed changes. This happened to mine too. Some have just re-glued the metal flanges back onto the rubber but I replaced mine.
zap2504 is offline   Reply With Quote