Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2009, 06:35 AM   #871
debaisley
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
will an 84 tt600 rear shock fit on to an 86 xt600 ? what is the best way to make the rear a little stiffer / taller ?
debaisley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 01:07 PM   #872
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
your can get a raiser on ebay.de from time to time, something with "heckhöher"

Also you could tension up your rear spring if possible.

Pic of mine with the item installed, vs my buddys in front:

JensEskildsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 01:33 PM   #873
CR_TurboGuy OP
Iowhat?

Oddometer: 478
Where'd your buddy get those crash bars. Those look pretty nice.

--JOsh
Old 06-04-2009, 10:59 AM   #874
Greengo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
high rpm bogging

i have yet another xt question i was able to get my bike running reasonably good i just took it on a 250 mile trip yeasterday. It ran good except around 4800 rpms or so it starts to breakup it seems like its not getting enough fuel?. It stalled out on the freeway because of this, but when i kicked it over it started right up and it seems fine but it still does the high rpm bogg this happened to me twice the second time was to test if it had "cleaned itself out" but it had not. A little history on the bike..i have changed the fuel tank cleaned the fuel petcock cleaned the carb/s no less than 3 times fresh oil and plug . Thanks in advance for any help and i will try to get picture of the bike on here asap.
Greengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:05 AM   #875
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greengo
i have yet another xt question i was able to get my bike running reasonably good i just took it on a 250 mile trip yeasterday. It ran good except around 4800 rpms or so it starts to breakup it seems like its not getting enough fuel?. It stalled out on the freeway because of this, but when i kicked it over it started right up and it seems fine but it still does the high rpm bogg this happened to me twice the second time was to test if it had "cleaned itself out" but it had not. A little history on the bike..i have changed the fuel tank cleaned the fuel petcock cleaned the carb/s no less than 3 times fresh oil and plug . Thanks in advance for any help and i will try to get picture of the bike on here asap.

Almost sounds like a fuel starvation. Check the needle and seat for obstructions and the petcock, as well as trash in the tank.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:06 PM   #876
autolycos
True vulgarian

Oddometer: 4,207
Can someone help me figure something out? My TT600 has a leaky petcock, and I've heard from Clarke MFG that Yamaha still uses the same petcock now, as before.

But, when I call a local Yammie dealer, they have to order in a petcock for that model.

Should I just go by what Clarke says and get a regular Yammie petcock and see if it fits?
autolycos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:47 PM   #877
XTC
Taz

Oddometer: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by JensEskildsen
your can get a raiser on ebay.de from time to time, something with "heckhöher"

Also you could tension up your rear spring if possible.

Pic of mine with the item installed, vs my buddys in front:

Your mates chain is too loose......
XTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:26 PM   #878
ztaj
jatz

Oddometer: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztaj
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Got this for mrs ztaj, she's wanted one since she first saw one when they were released, (she had an xt125 @ the time)
I've just done about 450 k's (280 odd miles) bringing it home in heavy rain at times and it seemed really easy to ride (small compared to my bike,DR 750)
I have a question, Where is the oil filler/level indicator, I've looked but can't see it in the obvious places.
Well , it's been a while since I've been in here, but I've run into a bit of a snag with the XT. Due to lubrication failure the top end has had a melt down.
My question is....... where can I get the parts to re-build it. Cam shaft rockers, piston(oversize) rings, head, thats about it for now, the motor is still being dismantled at this stage so the list may grow.
Also the DR750 has decided it needs a bit of a re-build too so cost is an issue
ztaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:34 AM   #879
Mark.F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
Ztaj
"Well , it's been a while since I've been in here, but I've run into a bit of a snag with the XT. Due to lubrication failure the top end has had a melt down.
My question is....... where can I get the parts to re-build it. Cam shaft rockers, piston(oversize) rings, head, thats about it for now, the motor is still being dismantled at this stage so the list may grow.
Also the DR750 has decided it needs a bit of a re-build too so cost is an issue "
Try UKebay,loads of stuff over here.
Mark.F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:43 PM   #880
XTC
Taz

Oddometer: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztaj
Well , it's been a while since I've been in here, but I've run into a bit of a snag with the XT. Due to lubrication failure the top end has had a melt down.
Also the DR750 has decided it needs a bit of a re-build too so cost is an issue
http://global.ebay.com/1985_1986_XT6...209566132/item

http://global.ebay.com/1985_1986_XT6...209566132/item
http://global.ebay.com/1985_1986_XT6...425782609/item

http://global.ebay.com/FULL_Gasket_4...309457717/item

Hope this helps.
Andy.
XTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:46 PM   #881
autolycos
True vulgarian

Oddometer: 4,207
Well, I decided to be a regular ADVer and tear apart my unworking petcock before any of YFF's replied. NO GASKET. NONE.

So, $.10 later, I have one. Whee.
autolycos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:53 PM   #882
ztaj
jatz

Oddometer: 881
Yip, they're an option,sent the links to the mechanic, cheers J

had a look at the bore today and it looks like a new piston and re-bore are in order
ztaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 02:37 AM   #883
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,461
Jatz it's a shame about the bikes. Hopefully the XT will be back up & looking good shortly.
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:28 PM   #884
tombaisley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
rear shock

I took the rear shock out of my '86 XT and removed the spring. I found that there is a 3 position adjustment for the top spring retainer, Mine was set in the middle position, I moved it down 1/4" to the bottom position and also added two 1/4" shims under the spring retainer for a total of 3/4" of preload. The shims were cut from a piece of 1/4" Alum plate using a 3" and 2" ,respectivly ,hole saw to form a gaint washer. The bike feels pretty good with alot less spring sag in the rear.
tombaisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:48 PM   #885
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,949
JT front sprocket orientation question

Guys, this is going to sound dumb but i'm going to ask anyway. I'm in the middle of installing my JT countershaft sprocket and am confused at to which way I should install it. Should the stamped "JT" logo and tooth count: "15T" be facing out? It seems logical to me that the lettering should be outward but it just doesn't "look" right that way.

By the way, I had to use a gear puller on the stock CS sprocket that was on my bike. It was frozen solid on there and for a second thought the sprocket was going to taco before it came off the shaft!! Grease those splines to avoid some headaches in the future!
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote