ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 183 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 07-27-2009, 09:44 AM   #1696
Zodiac
loosely portrayed
 
Zodiac's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Brooklyn
Oddometer: 30,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Bongo
Rolex movements are generally basic, simple and robust. You could even say that they are cheap, in comparison to some of the better finished swiss movements.

They are generally more reliable and tougher than many of the more delicate and elegant movements. They tend to have fewer complications.

As a Rolex owner, I can agree that most Rolex owners have more money than sense or taste. A fool and his money are easily parted, and Rolex are experts in marketing to this audience.

Agreed, but we're not talking about level of delicate sophistication or the intelligence of their owner's. I was responding to the post just about the quality of the watch, and the comparison to a VW simply because everyone has one. I truly believe a Rolex is a better timepiece than the other one's specifically mentioned (Panerai/Tutima, etc).

Sure, like anything else expensive, people buy because it's a status symbol. But that in no way takes away from the positives you yourself mention about the brand.
__________________
2011 Duct Tape Roll
1997 Cycle Therapy mini pump
1988 Aerostich Fleece collar scarf
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:01 AM   #1697
Doc.Snyder
Beastly Adventurer
 
Doc.Snyder's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Grapevine, TX / Grosserlach, GER
Oddometer: 2,012
Don't get me wrong - Rolex are nice watches. I - personally - don't want to have a watch, everyone has.
And I think, they are overpriced (as Apple computers are in the computer world).

But again - that's my opinion.

here's another watch I have:

Yes. again with a Lemania 5100 movement.
The pictured one is not mine, though.

__________________
Never stop exploring
Doc.Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:39 AM   #1698
NJ Moto
Running Free
 
NJ Moto's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Bergen County, NJ
Oddometer: 7,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X
Here's a bit of a trivia or technical question for all you Rolex know it all's. Why did Rolex NOT put the date magnifier on the chrystal on the Rolex Sea Dweller?
Because the SD crystal is so thick that a date magnifier would be useless...

http://www.rolexreferencepage.com/articles/10.html


.
__________________
Every ride is an adventure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuKeu...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYqF_BtIwAU
"Can we get a party to finally represent us?" - Cenk Uygur

NJ Moto screwed with this post 07-27-2009 at 11:45 AM
NJ Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:42 AM   #1699
BobFV1
Beastly Adventurer
 
BobFV1's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Oddometer: 23,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba
Why RIP? Have it refurb'd
That's a great idea, I actually had it refurbed about 2 years ago. At this point, I would have to locate the man with the gun who took it from me and ask him for it back - low probability of that working out.
__________________

BobFV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:53 AM   #1700
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"
 
Jabba's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Just east of the Pine Beatle- Evergreen, CO
Oddometer: 12,550
No need to be a smarmy prick to me- I didn't steal the fucking thing.
__________________
"Everybody loves cunnilingus!" Chacifer

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:00 PM   #1701
Bongolia
stop acting
 
Bongolia's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Oddometer: 16,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobFV1
That's a great idea, I actually had it refurbed about 2 years ago. At this point, I would have to locate the man with the gun who took it from me and ask him for it back - low probability of that working out.



Maybe you should try a Timex this time round Bob. Rolex doesn't seem to be working out for you there.
__________________
A Pariah on the farm
Bongolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:05 PM   #1702
BobFV1
Beastly Adventurer
 
BobFV1's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Oddometer: 23,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba
No need to be a smarmy prick to me- I didn't steal the fucking thing.
Can you account for your whereabouts last Thursday afternoon?

Smarmy - nobody's called me that - ever . . .
__________________

BobFV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:09 PM   #1703
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer
 
tslewisz's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Bloomington, IL
Oddometer: 2,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc.Snyder
Or another comparison: What Apple is among Computers, is Rolex among fine watches.
We were talking personal computers at camp over the weekend. A friend in the Army Reserves has an old Win2000 PC and was wondering what to do with it...Linux, another Windows install, whatever. Someone popped up with, "You could just buy a Mac." He said, "You know, whenever I'm deployed, people with Mac's inevitably ask someone with a PC to do something for them."

So, by your analogy, if you own a Rolex, do you ask G-Shock wearers what time it is?
tslewisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:15 PM   #1704
Bongolia
stop acting
 
Bongolia's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Oddometer: 16,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
Agreed, but we're not talking about level of delicate sophistication or the intelligence of their owner's. I was responding to the post just about the quality of the watch, and the comparison to a VW simply because everyone has one. I truly believe a Rolex is a better timepiece than the other one's specifically mentioned (Panerai/Tutima, etc).

Sure, like anything else expensive, people buy because it's a status symbol. But that in no way takes away from the positives you yourself mention about the brand.
Don't take it to heart. I'm trying to wind Bob up.

I do think that they are not worth anywhere near the sticker price though, especially the stainless models. Rolex have been fleecing the gullible for years.

Rolex does serve as an excellent demonstration of the power of Brand names and marketing though. It's like the Emperors New Clothes.
__________________
A Pariah on the farm
Bongolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:27 PM   #1705
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 21,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba
No need to be a smarmy prick to me- I didn't steal the fucking thing.


Clearly the thief didn't know how important Bob really is....
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:45 PM   #1706
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber
 
Sniper X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
Oddometer: 33,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by R12GS HOOLIGAN
Because the SD crystal is so thick that a date magnifier would be useless...

http://www.rolexreferencepage.com/articles/10.html


.
Yes.
__________________
" The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Straight Out Da Trailah!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:26 PM   #1707
Zodiac
loosely portrayed
 
Zodiac's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Brooklyn
Oddometer: 30,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by tslewisz
We were talking personal computers at camp over the weekend. A friend in the Army Reserves has an old Win2000 PC and was wondering what to do with it...Linux, another Windows install, whatever. Someone popped up with, "You could just buy a Mac." He said, "You know, whenever I'm deployed, people with Mac's inevitably ask someone with a PC to do something for them."

So, by your analogy, if you own a Rolex, do you ask G-Shock wearers what time it is?

I find that really hard to believe. I have a pc and a mac which get equal use. I can do all the PC work on the mac, including run winblows - but have the pleasure of never getting a virus, using a machine that lasts 10 yrs (and not 2 which all my pc's have lasted before frying), and the ease and general user friendly design of the mac.

I still have the first Mac Ti powerbook (9 yrs old now) and never once crashed, still works fine too.

And although my G shock tells time without an auto winder, my Rolex so far stays perfect if I keep the cycles going....little bit more work involved but when i stare down at my wrist it seems to be well worth it.

I like good things. And I'm not ashamed to say it.
__________________
2011 Duct Tape Roll
1997 Cycle Therapy mini pump
1988 Aerostich Fleece collar scarf
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:25 PM   #1708
NJ Moto
Running Free
 
NJ Moto's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Bergen County, NJ
Oddometer: 7,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc.Snyder
Don't get me wrong - Rolex are nice watches. I - personally - don't want to have a watch, everyone has.
And I think, they are overpriced (as Apple computers are in the computer world).
Try buying an Apple computer today and see if you can sell it in ten years and get most of your money back...
__________________
Every ride is an adventure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuKeu...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYqF_BtIwAU
"Can we get a party to finally represent us?" - Cenk Uygur
NJ Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:40 PM   #1709
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber
 
Sniper X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
Oddometer: 33,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by R12GS HOOLIGAN
Try buying an Apple computer today and see if you can sell it in ten years and get most of your money back...
I know that you can MAKE money on a Rolex if you bought it even 5 years ago. In fact, if you bought one ten years ago for under 2 grand you could over double your money.
__________________
" The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Straight Out Da Trailah!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:00 PM   #1710
Jungle Jim OP
buckle up buttercup
 
Jungle Jim's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: New Jersey - That's OK, we don't like you either
Oddometer: 9,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobFV1
RIP Old Friend: 1987-2009

that. SUCKS
__________________

Jungle Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014