Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 299 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 05-11-2010, 01:59 PM   #2356
Ursa Major
Bemused

Oddometer: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7
Edit: If you really, really want to buy a new Omega, I can share the FAD* info from the Omega forum.

*Favorite Authorized Dealer
Is that Jim at C.? I bought my 2254.50 SMP from him a couple of years ago, great price, excellent service (had a product problem, he made good on it immediately at no cost to me). If it's someone else, would you mind PM'ing the contact info?
Thirty years from now there will be a huge amount of oil - and no buyers. Oil will be left in the ground. The Stone Age came to an end, not because we had a lack of stones, and the oil age will come to an end not because we have a lack of oil. - Saudi Oil Minister Sheik Yamani, in 2000
Ursa Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:12 PM   #2357
Desert Skies
One brick shy...

Oddometer: 2,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBACH
I received one of these as a gift last month.

Beautiful watch, but sadly I don't wear watches. I think I'll give it to my dad so it at least gets used.
Glad someone will get to enjoy it.

I love watches but haven't worn one on over 20 years. When I was a teen, and my eyes and nerves were still sharp, I would find old broken watches and get them running again. Had a cigar box full of parts.

Sure don't miss wearing one though.
Tripn' with Tom Some pictures ZZ Rider - Tom Lowry Texas Blue - Tom Lowry

Desert Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:41 PM   #2358
CA_Strom
Cunning Linguist

Oddometer: 2,129
Well 5 days into ownership I realized that my new Oris TT diver was not advancing the date at all, Fuck! Went back into the local jeweler ready for battle if he thought he was cracking the case on a $1500 new watch to attempt a fix.... They were very cool, and no questions asked ordered me a new replacement or offered a full refund. They let me keep the current one while I wait a few days for the replacement. I figure somebody checking out the watch before me fubared the date gear.... Made me glad I bought from a local jeweler, and he matched the lowest online price I had found. Had a bought from a non-authorized Oris dealer online, I'd have been fucked and waiting for a shoddy repair job. Other than that, I love the watch.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:03 PM   #2359
Venteuri
I don't give a shit

Oddometer: 14,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutineer
man oh man do I agree

sounds way easier than doing simple math in your head

figuring out a tip is sooooooooo complicated

just the other day I avoided an international incident when I was in Kazakhstan and tried to make some guy sell me a quart of goat milk, not some fucking commie liter, a proper goddamn quart

then I remembered I had on a watch that costs half his annual income and stopped the conversation, spun the magic dial on my watch, and suddenly we were relating on his frame of reference and we were all conversant and stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutineer

really, my silly expensive fancy wrist jewelry helps me be a better and more humble person

really, that god I wasn't stuck with some piece of shit Breitling that is less cluttered but also so much less useful

without my fancy dancy watch, I just would not be taken so seriously
I know this is old ..... but
Member #68,893
Above all stop pandering to posts from morons like Venteuri who can't even spell Venturi properly.
Venteuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:23 AM   #2360
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,431
Nice pic! It's too bad Nato straps are so horrible to actually wear, because they look great in pics! I put one on a Sub 5512 and that lasted about an hour. I just can't get used to the way they feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7
There are ways to buy a nice, reliable watch via ebay from known sources.

Check this post and thread.

I purchased my SMP used from a well-known seller on MWR and saved much more than 50% from retail. The watch is like new and has well over 2-years left on the warranty.

The explorer came from a well-established timezone seller. This watch is 10-years old and was two seconds off over an entire week when I wore it last:

You don't have to be well-funded to purchase a better watch - watch timezone or MWR, learn who the frequent sellers are, buy the seller/not just the watch, check their references and let someone else take the depreciation hit.

Edit: If you really, really want to buy a new Omega, I can share the FAD* info from the Omega forum.

*Favorite Authorized Dealer
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:24 PM   #2361
The_Commander
The Man.

Oddometer: 5,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Maniaci
Nice pic! It's too bad Nato straps are so horrible to actually wear, because they look great in pics! I put one on a Sub 5512 and that lasted about an hour. I just can't get used to the way they feel.
I have a couple of NATO straps that I got from Howard Marx that I absolutely love wearing on my 5512, 5513 and 1680.

I understand what you're saying though, they can "cut" and "dig" a little until they're worn in a bit.
The_Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:52 PM   #2362
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Commander
I have a couple of NATO straps that I got from Howard Marx that I absolutely love wearing on my 5512, 5513 and 1680.

I understand what you're saying though, they can "cut" and "dig" a little until they're worn in a bit.

Maybe I just need to give it a little more wrist time to get used to it. They do make for a great look on a vintage Sub.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:55 PM   #2363
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Strom
Well 5 days into ownership I realized that my new Oris TT diver was not advancing the date at all, Fuck! Went back into the local jeweler ready for battle if he thought he was cracking the case on a $1500 new watch to attempt a fix.... They were very cool, and no questions asked ordered me a new replacement or offered a full refund. They let me keep the current one while I wait a few days for the replacement. I figure somebody checking out the watch before me fubared the date gear.... Made me glad I bought from a local jeweler, and he matched the lowest online price I had found. Had a bought from a non-authorized Oris dealer online, I'd have been fucked and waiting for a shoddy repair job. Other than that, I love the watch.

Does it not advance during the quickset, or while actually setting the time and cycling it through? If it's only during the quickset (first click of the crown usually) you might try running the time forward through a few date cycles and see what happens. I had a watch do the same thing once, and when I cycled it a few days the date started clicking over again, and it worked fine after.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:07 PM   #2364
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
Quote:
Does it not advance during the quickset, or while actually setting the time and cycling it through? If it's only during the quickset (first click of the crown usually) you might try running the time forward through a few date cycles and see what happens. I had a watch do the same thing once, and when I cycled it a few days the date started clicking over again, and it worked fine after.
Mine is doing something even weirder....it does wind, it sets with the quickset, but from time to time (no pun intended) it will just go BBBBZZZZZ wand I feel it wind down and think it is going to stop but as long as I keep wearing it, it keeps relitively good time. Oh, it is a Sub and old one.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:10 PM   #2365
CA_Strom
Cunning Linguist

Oddometer: 2,129
Quote:
It will advance during the quickset, but not when you cycle through 24 hours. I own a few other automatics, so I'm aware about not changing the date, ORIS says not between 10 and 2.... Dealer was very cool, and on a new watch, they should be. It'll get returned to Oris and fixed and somebody will get a good deal on a factory refurb.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:10 PM   #2366
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X
Mine is doing something even weirder....it does wind, it sets with the quickset, but from time to time (no pun intended) it will just go BBBBZZZZZ wand I feel it wind down and think it is going to stop but as long as I keep wearing it, it keeps relitively good time. Oh, it is a Sub and old one.
Sounds like it's as simple as an old mainspring slipping the clutch. It could be more complicated than that, but if it's old, I wouldn't be surprised if it's that simple.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:35 AM   #2367
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,342
Quote:
Maybe I just need to give it a little more wrist time to get used to it. They do make for a great look on a vintage Sub.
What brand NATO? I've been very pleased with my Maratacs. I think I have 5 of them in you roll Zulu's into the count.
tslewisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:31 AM   #2368
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursa Major
Is that Jim at C.? I bought my 2254.50 SMP from him a couple of years ago, great price, excellent service (had a product problem, he made good on it immediately at no cost to me). If it's someone else, would you mind PM'ing the contact info?
Will do - thanks...
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:35 AM   #2369
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,593
Quote:
Never had an issue w/ mine. The one in that pic is at least a year old and is very comfortable.
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:38 AM   #2370
PaleRider
gelande/strasse

Oddometer: 9,980
Question

Quote:
I love watches but haven't worn one on over 20 years.
... just curious, a question to all those who do not wear a watch. Is it because of your occupation (i.e., can't have anything hanging on your wrist for safety reasons), or is it because your cell phone/PDA has the time and wearing a watch is redundant, or is it a personal preference?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: