User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 189 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 11-28-2010, 10:15 PM   #2596
neanderthal
globeriding wannabe

Oddometer: 1,813
Really wanting one of Yobokies watches like some have bought here, but for about the same money this is tempting me something fierce.

And no winding. Ever...

Anyone know anything about their respective movements? I know nothing about either one and nothing about movements. AT ALL. I just need something that will keep time, and be rugged. Keep your explanations simple if you do answer please. I'm not retarded, but I have been known to be stupid...

My current cheapie Smith and Wesson watch looks similar, but keeps losing time. And its less than 6 months old...
Old 11-29-2010, 06:07 AM   #2597
MikeyT
Krusty Olde Pharte™

Oddometer: 5,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by neanderthal
Really wanting one of Yobokies watches like some have bought here, but for about the same money this is tempting me something fierce.

And no winding. Ever...

Anyone know anything about their respective movements? I know nothing about either one and nothing about movements. AT ALL. I just need something that will keep time, and be rugged. Keep your explanations simple if you do answer please. I'm not retarded, but I have been known to be stupid...

My current cheapie Smith and Wesson watch looks similar, but keeps losing time. And its less than 6 months old...
I have one of those, and it's a good watch. You shouldn't have any problems with it losing time, as it is quartz (+/- 20 sec/month.) Just make sure it has a regular dose of light. The battery is kept charged by way of a solar screen in the dial. If you wear it every day, you should be good to go for years. It is moderately rugged, but i wouldn't wear it if I were running a jackhammer.

99 Shadow Spirit 1100

"Non Illegitimi Carborundum"
MikeyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:51 AM   #2598
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,333
Quote:

And no winding. Ever...

I'd much rather have a Seiko 5, yobokies or not. Plain old reliable self-winding mechanical watch. Eco-Drive can suck my Eco-balls.

I posted a while back asking if anyone knew of a watchsmith that could put a mechanical movement in my Ti Eco case and got no responses. Anybody?
tslewisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:59 AM   #2599
Robert_C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,703
Quote:

And no winding. Ever...

Anyone know anything about their respective movements? I know nothing about either one and nothing about movements. AT ALL.
I wear a Citizen eco-drive every day. It is a good durable watch. Much better than the Swiss Army watches that I was killing on a regular basis before.

It is basically just a good quality quartz watch that is solar charged. there is not conspicuous solar panel on it like the solar watches in the 80's and 90's had. Instead the entire face is transparent to the bandwidth it needs but looks black to the eye. If you hold it right you can see the panel though; but you have to be looking for it.

It requires no service other than to be worn or left out. As mentioned, I just wear mine daily and have had no trouble with it for about three years. I had been wearing a citizen automatic but liked this one better (my model is different than yours, I like having a stopwatch function in my watches, if the slide-rule watches were no so big I would like that function too; but, the watches that have them are too big.
As a nation we still continue to enjoy a literally unprecedented prosperity; and it is probable that only reckless speculation and disregard of legitimate business methods on the part of the business world can materially mar this prosperity. -- Theodore Roosevelt, Sixth Annual Message, December 3, 1906
Robert_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:42 AM   #2600
MikeyT
Krusty Olde Pharte™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tslewisz
I'd much rather have a Seiko 5, yobokies or not. Plain old reliable self-winding mechanical watch. Eco-Drive can suck my Eco-balls.

I posted a while back asking if anyone knew of a watchsmith that could put a mechanical movement in my Ti Eco case and got no responses. Anybody?
That would probably be prohibitively expensive, but Citizen makes a nice Auto dive watch with a Ti case that is reasonably priced.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

99 Shadow Spirit 1100

Old 11-29-2010, 11:37 AM   #2601
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatBob
That would probably be prohibitively expensive, but Citizen makes a nice Auto dive watch with a Ti case that is reasonably priced.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories
Thanks, RB. I was hoping to salvage the case I have...it's a bit dressier and has a nice Ti bracelet. I just don't want to dump any more $ into the Eco-Drive. I guess I could take a shot and see if the bracelet I have would fit the NY0054. It does seem nice, esp for the price.
tslewisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:45 PM   #2602
neanderthal
globeriding wannabe

Oddometer: 1,813
Thanks guys. I really do appreciate it. Looks like a Citizen is in my future...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatBob
I have one of those, and it's a good watch. You shouldn't have any problems with it losing time, as it is quartz (+/- 20 sec/month.) Just make sure it has a regular dose of light. The battery is kept charged by way of a solar screen in the dial. If you wear it every day, you should be good to go for years. It is moderately rugged, but i wouldn't wear it if I were running a jackhammer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_C
I wear a Citizen eco-drive every day. It is a good durable watch. Much better than the Swiss Army watches that I was killing on a regular basis before.

It is basically just a good quality quartz watch that is solar charged. there is not conspicuous solar panel on it like the solar watches in the 80's and 90's had. Instead the entire face is transparent to the bandwidth it needs but looks black to the eye. If you hold it right you can see the panel though; but you have to be looking for it.

It requires no service other than to be worn or left out. As mentioned, I just wear mine daily and have had no trouble with it for about three years. I had been wearing a citizen automatic but liked this one better (my model is different than yours, I like having a stopwatch function in my watches, if the slide-rule watches were no so big I would like that function too; but, the watches that have them are too big.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:03 AM   #2603
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,292
Quote:
Get a large one, you drive a 2002, us BMW car guys need big watches!
Old 12-01-2010, 09:47 AM   #2604

Oddometer: 5,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
Amazon is running a deal on them today. Some are 50% off. My wife may kill me

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeflow
conformity makes better taxpayers.
13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:11 PM   #2605
linkweewee
tantum quantum

Oddometer: 13,703
$70.00 Rolex for sale on Ebay-the Q's and A's are interesting

This to me was just a comfortable old watch of which I was very fond. For the last few years, it has been sitting in a drawer, and since we are downsizing, I thought I might sell it and get $50 or $100 for it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Rolex-Su...item1c1779d2f9
Old 12-02-2010, 12:36 PM   #2606
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkweewee View Post

This to me was just a comfortable old watch of which I was very fond. For the last few years, it has been sitting in a drawer, and since we are downsizing, I thought I might sell it and get $50 or $100 for it.

Current bid $62k

Is that someone taking the piss or is it genuinely worth that - I can't believe it is.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:45 PM   #2607
SamTheEagle
Sam the Eagle

Oddometer: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkweewee View Post

That is a beautiful story. I hope its real!

(But after all the buyers trying to scam the seller into a low price, wouldn't it be a little ironic if it turned out that the seller was the one doing the scamming!)

Sam The Eagle @ Smugmug
SamTheEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:53 PM   #2608
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,712
Just picked one of these up from Amazon

Always wanted an eco-drive and I'm not a fan of 'busy' watches so this is fairly simple and the price was right. I also wanted a NATO-style strap so this fits the bill.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:42 PM   #2609
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Current bid $62k

Is that someone taking the piss or is it genuinely worth that - I can't believe it is.
It's worth more than that if it's a 6538. Probably one of a handful of the most significant wristwatches ever made. If you think that's a bunch of money you should see what early Daytona's are bringing.
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:47 PM   #2610
MikeyT
Krusty Olde Pharte™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamTheEagle View Post
That is a beautiful story. I hope its real!

(But after all the buyers trying to scam the seller into a low price, wouldn't it be a little ironic if it turned out that the seller was the one doing the scamming!)
I'm by no means knowledgeable about vintage Rolex watches, but to my mind the bidding has gone crazy. I have put it on my watch list, but I'll bet dollars to donuts that the winner will be a non-paying bidder. My guess is two or three gaming the seller and each other. I hope that I'm wrong and the seller gets a potful of money.

There used to be some Rolex wearers in this thread. Maybe one or more of them can give us some insight.

99 Shadow Spirit 1100

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: