Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 45 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 05-04-2011, 09:06 AM   #3196
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42 View Post
I knew that.
Imagine hearing that pop at depth, and keep going....wow.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:12 AM   #3197
The_Commander
The Man.

Oddometer: 5,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
Man, the folks doing wristwatch deboxing vids on youtube...seriously goofy.
Links! Please?
The_Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:53 PM   #3198
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 11,535
Went to Shreve in San Francisco today, met a really nice sales guy there [I was taking my Aerospace for a new battery at JD Watchworks on the 5th floor of the Shreve Building - REALLY good place for Breitling], and he indulged me for an hour, insisted on my trying on the IWC large pilots Automatic [Freaking HUGE, $15,000 with tax and all] plus an Omega Planet Ocean Co-Axial, three rolex, including a new, just unboxed green bezel with green dial stainless, and a couple of Paneri's. What fun!

Both Julius at JD Watchworks and the saleman at Shreve were impressed by my price on the Speedy too, which was rather nice.

Then I got home and found that my new beater had been delivered by UPS, Seiko SKX009K2 'pepsi' dive watch [$150. Amazon.com], 200 meter with the 21 jewel movement. Then I got to explain to the wife just how I came to get two new watches in a week. Sigh. Good thing my wife is a good sport. She does not get that, but that's normal right?
Old 05-04-2011, 02:57 PM   #3199
soyanarchisto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,920
How many sets of earrings does the wife have? Rings? Bracelets? I dont know about you guys but the only jewelry I wear are watches (one at a time). By comparison, my jewelry is cheap.
soyanarchisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:18 PM   #3200
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 17,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
Then I got home and found that my new beater had been delivered by UPS, Seiko SKX009K2 'pepsi' dive watch [$150. Amazon.com], 200 meter with the 21 jewel movement. Then I got to explain to the wife just how I came to get two new watches in a week. Sigh. Good thing my wife is a good sport. She does not get that, but that's normal right?
And so it starts.

I went through that for the last few years and I *think* I've got it all out of my system. Between what I have left, after selling my MKII, I feel like I'm good for the future.

I can't imagine saying in May of last year - that was 2 or 3 watches ago though.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:12 PM   #3201
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
And so it starts.

I went through that for the last few years and I *think* I've got it all out of my system. Between what I have left, after selling my MKII, I feel like I'm good for the future.

I can't imagine saying in May of last year - that was 2 or 3 watches ago though.
Yea, well, this was an accident - my beater digital finally died and I decided to get the Seiko, ordered it from Amazon with some gift card I had leftover from Christmas, so it cost me less than $40 out of pocket. I ordered it Sat. night on line...

Sunday AM I find the Speedmaster. This was utterly unexpected, I never thought anything of real quality would turn up at this place, a great deal of it is utter junk, and MOST of what this guy had were $20 watches.

Anyway, I negotiated the price on the speedy down enough to cover the seiko!

Life could be worse, right?

BTW, I'm impressed with the Seiko fit and finish. It's pretty damn good for a $150 watch. I can see that a custom Yobokies would be great based on that platform as the stock dial and hands are pretty - cumbersome might be a good word.

But in bang for buck, it looks good: I'll have to see how it keeps time over the next couple of days.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:36 AM   #3202
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

What do you Rolex experts think is the most desired collector Rolex on the planet, the one single one with highest degree of collector lust, is it a one of a kind deal or a special one worn by someone in particular?
Old 05-05-2011, 07:52 AM   #3203
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
What do you Rolex experts think is the most desired collector Rolex on the planet, the one single one with highest degree of collector lust, is it a one of a kind deal or a special one worn by someone in particular?
I'm no Rolex expert. There are, from what I've read a few variations on 'rolex purity'.

When you have a model for more than 50 years, and you have made minor changes/tweaks and movement revisions over the years. I'll be interested to hear.

probably a better question at watchuseek or one of the horological forum.

One thing that impresses me EVERY time I handle a Sub is this: There is nothing on that watch that does not need to be there [OK, engraving on Chapter ring, maybe not] - it's one of the cleanest timepieces made, IMHO. There's just this feel of, I dunno, purity, when you handle one of them. Maybe it's cause I've not yet owned one.

Also, I tried on the Planet Ocean Coaxial and the SubMariner and gebus, the Sub seemed really small by comparison - it's actually by today's standards, a rather modest watch.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:55 AM   #3204
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
I'm no Rolex expert. There are, from what I've read a few variations on 'rolex purity'.

When you have a model for more than 50 years, and you have made minor changes/tweaks and movement revisions over the years. I'll be interested to hear.

One thing that impresses me EVERY time I handle a Sub is this: There is nothing on that watch that does not need to be there [OK, engraving on Chapter ring, maybe not] - it's one of the cleanest timepieces made, IMHO. There's just this feel of, I dunno, purity, when you handle one of them. Maybe it's cause I've not yet owned one.

Also, I tried on the Planet Ocean Coaxial and the SubMariner and gebus, the Sub seemed really small by comparison - it's actually by today's standards, a rather modest watch.
I am asking about the Holy Grail of Rolex, like "I just purchased the Holy Grail of Rolex's, the one worn by Bond in (insert movie here) for 350,000.00. That sort of thing. Or better yet, I just bought the Rolex prototype that was strapped to the Trieste when it went to the trench.....what would it be and what is it worth?
Old 05-05-2011, 07:59 AM   #3205
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 30,640
Quote:

have you handled the new Submariner, the one with the broader case and ceramic maxi dial? It's only a 40 mm but looks beefier than that. Rolex always has/had amazing proportions, it's not oversized, but feels heavy and looks it too.
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:03 AM   #3206
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
have you handled the new Submariner, the one with the broader case and ceramic maxi dial? It's only a 40 mm but looks beefier than that. Rolex always has/had amazing proportions, it's not oversized, but feels heavy and looks it too.
I never cease to be amazed at how some watches play larger than their measurements. The new larger Sub, which I though was 43mm, played like it was a 47mm watch.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:46 AM   #3207
The_Commander
The Man.

Quote:
There are a couple.

Paul Newman's actual Daytona

Steve McQueen's actual Explorer and/or 5512 Submariner

Any of the "NASA" GMTs
Old 05-05-2011, 10:02 AM   #3208
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,366
I imagine a Comex Sea Dweller 1680 (60 made) would be quite collectable.

Image is a 16600.

anotherguy screwed with this post 05-05-2011 at 10:34 AM
anotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:10 AM   #3209
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 30,640
Quote:
I am asking about the Holy Grail of Rolex, like "I just purchased the Holy Grail of Rolex's, the one worn by Bond in (insert movie here) for 350,000.00. That sort of thing. Or better yet, I just bought the Rolex prototype that was strapped to the Trieste when it went to the trench.....what would it be and what is it worth?

Rolex sent dozens of watches to British POWs in Germany during WWII, with a promise to pay later then they were released. Some were (I think) involved with the Great Escape (the real one not the movie).

I'd bet one of those in good shape but original would be pretty priceless.
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:27 AM   #3210
The_Commander
The Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
I imagine a Comex Sea Dweller 1680 (60 made) would be quite collectable.

Image is a 16600.
Looks more like a 16660 to me. The 16600 had the WG surrounds IMSC.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: