User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 304 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 06-29-2011, 09:19 AM   #3556
Buccleuch
Resistance is futile.

Oddometer: 1,651
I have several Invictas, and a Hamilton Khaki COSC Aviation Chronograph with a Valjoux 7750.

My Hamilton is nicely finished, and quite beautiful. Hamilton is part of Swatch, and most are Swiss made. The Invicta will be a Far East watch. Not that there's anything wrong with either.

It's not necessarily true that the more jewels the better. Some movements place jewels where they're not really needed.

If you watch the deal-of-the-day sites - chronoshark and invictashark are a couple of examples - you can find the Invicta Pro Diver pop up in the neighborhood of $150.

Personally, of those two, I like the Hamilton. But I've already got an Invicta Ocean Ghost, an Invicta Pro Diver GMT, a modded Seiko Monster, an IWC Ti Aquatimer, a Citizen EcoZilla, and I need another diver like a hole in the head.

Nice choices! Have fun!

WA.
Buccleuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:28 AM   #3557
kawalaser
Hip to be square

Oddometer: 8,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Okay, so I've got it narrowed down here.

I'm debating between an Invicta Pro Diver (9937OB)

or a Hamilton Kkaki Navy GMT (H77615333).

Both have auto Swiss movements. The Invicta has 26 jewels and the Hamilton has 21. Not sure if that is comparing apples to apples, but more jewels is better, right?

Both are water resistant to 200 meters.

We have two different styles, though. The Invicta is trying to mimic a Rolex, it seems to me. The Hamilton stands on it's own, and has the GMT function.

I am leaning toward the Hamilton because the company has a better name, the watch just seems like it will fit better (have read nothing but rave reviews), and because it isn't trying to be a Rolex without actually being one. The only thing that holds me back is the notion that the movement in the Invicta may be better than the one in the Hamilton.

Price-wise I can get the Hamilton for around $500. The Invicta goes for between $250 and $300. Is the Invicta really comparable quality at half the price?

Hands down Hamilton, for all the reasons you and others stated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednas
I will never sink to the level of stealing from the homeless.
kawalaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:58 AM   #3558
Minnesota
Conform or be cast out

Oddometer: 3,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
My guess is that the movement in the Hamilton is an ETA one - while the Invicta is likely an ETA clone. Each will likely provide good service though but that's likely the reason for the cost difference.

Correct.

Okay. It's the Hamilton. It is really the one I wanted, just needed to get talked out of the Invicta.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:06 AM   #3559
CA_Strom
Cunning Linguist

Oddometer: 2,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawalaser View Post
Hands down Hamilton, for all the reasons you and others stated.
That Invicta Pro Diver is $99 all day long at your local Sam's Club......
Old 06-29-2011, 10:18 AM   #3560
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Strom View Post
That Invicta Pro Diver is $99 all day long at your local Sam's Club......
Not the one he mentioned, that is the Swiss Diver, it is more expensive, but about twice or three times.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:59 AM   #3561
nanotech9
** Slidewayz **

Oddometer: 1,435
for $500, you've just opened up a few other options...

considerably, the Boschett CaveDweller at about $440 with the cheaper movement... and a bunch of others...

soon enough you'll talk yourself up $100 at a time and be in the $1600 range. oops.

also look at the Bernhardt Sea Shark
'04 KTM 525 EXC
'02 YAMAHA TTR 125
'99 KTM 50 ADV
'86 KTM 250 2-smoker resto-project
nanotech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:12 AM   #3562
Minnesota
Conform or be cast out

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanotech9 View Post
for $500, you've just opened up a few other options...

considerably, the Boschett CaveDweller at about $440 with the cheaper movement... and a bunch of others...

soon enough you'll talk yourself up $100 at a time and be in the $1600 range. oops.

also look at the Bernhardt Sea Shark
Meh.

I'm not into the dive watches right now. The price creep is a reality. I started out planning to spend no more than $200. Look at me now.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:26 AM   #3563
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Meh.

I'm not into the dive watches right now. The price creep is a reality. I started out planning to spend no more than $200. Look at me now.

I see one on the WUS private sale boards.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:33 AM   #3564
nanotech9
** Slidewayz **

lol I think a few of us sent him that link :)

Not sure how i got the impression you were looking for a dive watch... It must have carried over from my own search for a nice dive watch... oops.
'04 KTM 525 EXC
'02 YAMAHA TTR 125
'99 KTM 50 ADV
Old 06-29-2011, 11:56 AM   #3565
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 4,950
My father received a Hamilton (back when they were still made in the US) for a HS Graduation Gift. I haven't been able to find an example of his online anywhere.

Simple, gold plate, small diameter, leather band.

I really dig that watch, and I know it isn't a rolex or breitling, but it is a classy watch.

One day......

I like the looks of that Hamilton a lot.

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:24 PM   #3566
Minnesota
Conform or be cast out

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
I see one on the WUS private sale boards.

The GMT in that ad looks like a nice watch and $400 is a good price too. The one in the ad looks like the three zone version, thus the yellow lettering. I like the austerity of the simple black and white on the two zone watch.

Keep 'em coming. With you guys looking too we just might find one!
Old 06-29-2011, 12:26 PM   #3567
Minnesota
Conform or be cast out

Quote:
lol I think a few of us sent him that link :)

Not sure how i got the impression you were looking for a dive watch... It must have carried over from my own search for a nice dive watch... oops.
I guess I did sort of start out in a dive watch frame of mind. Then I found the Hamilton (thanks DriveShaft!) and now my heart is set.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:14 PM   #3568
nanotech9
** Slidewayz **

so i need some help...

i jump from hobby to hobby, get a little crazy, and then loose some interest and thin down what i've acquired during the crazy phase and keep the leftovers...

example: i got into guns a few years ago... bought and sold quite a few, kept the ones i liked... had 3+ AR15's at one point during the Obama scare... after some time, although i still love guns, i moved on to the next hobby, sold off duplicates, and kept the core collection that i really like...

Apparently i'm about to do this with watches. problem is though, all the ones i like are relatively expensive... more-so than the guns I liked...

So, here is my delima. I want a good dive watch. I was smitten with the Boschett Cave Dweller (previous page or two) and at $440 for the cheaper movement version, its a definite "could get" watch... Its seemingly limited edition, but still available new from Boschett.

Today I happened upon the Zixen DSR500 GMT... and OMG i fell in love all over again!... problem is this on is up for private sale (these were only designed/produced exactly one year ago) and won't be around long... and its twice the money.

And, i just spend twice that on my Omega (first watch).

See how this is adding up fast?

The two watches are very much not alike, but have a lot of similar features.

Both strong divers (Cavedweller is 1000m, Zixen is 500m)
both very stunning
love the bracelets on both for various reasons
I love the bold look of the CD, but i love the retro look of the Zixen.

I'm torn. I can't have them both. Each is very interesting to look at for completely opposite reasons....

HELP!!!!!!

Image stolen shamelessly from DEMO (WUS poster) because its his watch i'm interested in buying...

also solen shamelessly - from a post two pages previous (thanks xzOzx!)
'04 KTM 525 EXC
'02 YAMAHA TTR 125
'99 KTM 50 ADV
Old 07-01-2011, 05:29 AM   #3569
redsport
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
Quote:
so i need some help...

i jump from hobby to hobby, get a little crazy, and then loose some interest and thin down what i've acquired during the crazy phase and keep the leftovers...

example: i got into guns a few years ago... bought and sold quite a few, kept the ones i liked... had 3+ AR15's at one point during the Obama scare... after some time, although i still love guns, i moved on to the next hobby, sold off duplicates, and kept the core collection that i really like...

Apparently i'm about to do this with watches. problem is though, all the ones i like are relatively expensive... more-so than the guns I liked...

So, here is my delima. I want a good dive watch. I was smitten with the Boschett Cave Dweller (previous page or two) and at $440 for the cheaper movement version, its a definite "could get" watch... Its seemingly limited edition, but still available new from Boschett.

Today I happened upon the Zixen DSR500 GMT... and OMG i fell in love all over again!... problem is this on is up for private sale (these were only designed/produced exactly one year ago) and won't be around long... and its twice the money.

both very stunning

I'm torn. I can't have them both. Each is very interesting to look at for completely opposite reasons....

HELP!!!!!!

Image stolen shamelessly from DEMO (WUS poster) because its his watch i'm interested in buying...

also solen shamelessly - from a post two pages previous (thanks xzOzx!)

I would get the Cave Dweller out of those two choices. If you think you would like them the same and one is half the price of the other your decision should be made. Plus the Zixen kinda looks like a Roullette wheel to me.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:24 AM   #3570
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,259
Quote:
so i need some help...

both very stunning

HELP!!!!!!

I think this is how the term WIS came about.

Arm candy is the same as any other expensive item. You can get carried away. It's just easier with watches, bcs...you can keep a two dozen of them in a shoe box.

Eventually, for me, the cosmetics becomes less and less relevant to the buying decision than the other aspects. So, between these two, the ultimate question has less to do with the CD's chiseled looks vs. Zinix's 60's mod appeal, & more about whether GMT is really what I want on my wrist vs. a timing bezel. Do I want *both*? If so, neither is actually ideal. If it were solely about looks...well..there'd be about 300 in my collection. There are alot of nice lookin' watches. I'd go broke getting them all. Finally instead of turning into a watch whore, I just stopped buying based on looks. Features & quality first. Looks third.

The nice thing about watches is that there are so many friggin brands out there, you can actually be fairly picky, & still probably find something that fits the bill pretty perfectly.

Yeah...it's kinda like picking a wife. 'cept you can't sell a wife. Or shouldn't...
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: