Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 270 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 11-20-2011, 05:28 PM   #4036
Sam Buca
a.k.a. Daniel

Oddometer: 2,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Rabbi View Post
I have the same watch to save wear and tear on my Tag. I'm one of those who "has" to wear a watch 24/7 or I feel incomplete. I've forgotten my cell, but never a watch.

The Citizen is a tough well made watch. Mine has scratches, I'm not a fan of the band (to much like plastic) but after having to replace the batteries in my Bulova's twice a year, it is a great watch.

Easy to replace the rubber band with a Zulu watch band or even a Watchadoo metal strap from Aussie land.

Sam Buca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:00 PM   #4037
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Rabbi View Post
I have the same watch to save wear and tear on my Tag. I'm one of those who "has" to wear a watch 24/7 or I feel incomplete. I've forgotten my cell, but never a watch.

The Citizen is a tough well made watch. Mine has scratches, I'm not a fan of the band (to much like plastic) but after having to replace the batteries in my Bulova's twice a year, it is a great watch.
After having an EcoDrive, I prefer auto/mechanical.
tslewisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:18 AM   #4038
Censport
Vendor

Oddometer: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by tslewisz View Post
After having an EcoDrive, I prefer auto/mechanical.
Why is that?
Old 11-21-2011, 04:49 AM   #4039

Oddometer: 5,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Censport View Post
Why is that?
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeflow
conformity makes better taxpayers.
13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:28 AM   #4040
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer

Eventually the cell in an EcoDrive will need to be replaced. It's not inexpensive and the perpetual calendar in mine was a PITA after the 1st cell change. Never was right. And since I have multiple watches, my wearing habit wasn't really compatible with Eco. I'd rather toss an unworn watch in a drawer and give it a shake when I want to wear it rather than seek out a North facing window sill. And even when I was wearing my Eco nearly all the time, winter time with long sleeves and office lighting made for poor charging. Mine is on its 3rd cell and it's sitting dead on the kitchen window sill. I love the case/bracelet, though. Very nice Ti diver. I wish I could put an auto movement in it.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:43 AM   #4041
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 4,945
When I'm not wearing my Eco, it sits on the dresser or nightstand. Not in direct light, but light non-the-less. Mine has never gone into "reserve" mode, might not recognize it if it did (skips a few seconds I believe?). Long sleaves no issue, even in winter, but I rollmy sleaves up, maybe that helps? I've had it for two years now. Maybe I'll change my mind in two more.

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:02 AM   #4042
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
Quote:
Eventually the cell in an EcoDrive will need to be replaced. It's not inexpensive and the perpetual calendar in mine was a PITA after the 1st cell change. Never was right. And since I have multiple watches, my wearing habit wasn't really compatible with Eco. I'd rather toss an unworn watch in a drawer and give it a shake when I want to wear it rather than seek out a North facing window sill. And even when I was wearing my Eco nearly all the time, winter time with long sleeves and office lighting made for poor charging. Mine is on its 3rd cell and it's sitting dead on the kitchen window sill. I love the case/bracelet, though. Very nice Ti diver. I wish I could put an auto movement in it.
Same here. I will say I either have bad luck with eco type watches or they are like a Hybrid car, well enough of an idea but not quite there yet to be a reality of what they tout as a sales point. You may get a few extra years out of one, but when and if you do have to change the cell, it costs a lot more than replacing a traditional battery. PLUS, new batteries in quartz watches usually last 4~5 years.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:47 AM   #4043
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,937
Quartz watches??? heathen!!!!!
Old 11-21-2011, 10:53 AM   #4044
DoctorIt
vrooom!

Oddometer: 5,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
Same here. I will say I either have bad luck with eco type watches or they are like a Hybrid car, well enough of an idea but not quite there yet to be a reality of what they tout as a sales point. You may get a few extra years out of one, but when and if you do have to change the cell, it costs a lot more than replacing a traditional battery. PLUS, new batteries in quartz watches usually last 4~5 years.
They're exactly like a Prius! Pretending to be greener, but, well, not really. Also, early Eco's actually have 2 cells, one supposedly never needs replacing. I say supposedly because my father bought one and in 2 years had to replace both cells, to the tune of approximately the original price of the watch.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:44 PM   #4045
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer

I've been tempted to send my Eco to someplace like Stewart Time for a thorough and proper refurb, but I can buy a Citizen Ti auto diver for about the same money as the refurb. Still, I sure like the case and bracelet on that Eco.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:13 PM   #4046
petefromberkeley
-

Oddometer: 3,290
Quote:
Thanks for that- even though I didn't want to hear it. If they worked as advertised (replace the cell maybe every decade) I'd get one. I was looking forward to liking these.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:27 AM   #4047
kawalaser
Hip to be square

Oddometer: 8,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawalaser View Post

27x36mm 14k gold filled case, manual winding 19 jewels -- completely restored and serviced for less than 200 bucks! beautiful, but too small for anything but formal duty.
For sale

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/vin...ml#post4474782

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednas
I will never sink to the level of stealing from the homeless.
kawalaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:35 PM   #4048
MillCreek
ADV Risk Manager

Oddometer: 1,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by petefromberkeley View Post
Thanks for that- even though I didn't want to hear it. If they worked as advertised (replace the cell maybe every decade) I'd get one. I was looking forward to liking these.
I have three Citizen Eco-Drive watches: 8, 5 and 1 years old. All of them have been flawless, all of them hold a charge for months at a time, none of them has ever broken, and all of them are on the original solar cell. If Citizen made a clean, analog face diver with Eco-drive and atomic syncronization, I would buy a bunch of them. I have a number of the Casio atomic watches, but Casio has never made that many models with a clean analog face. I have two that they did.
2012 Suzuki DL650A as the current bike
Whole bunch of bikes in the past
MillCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:40 PM   #4049
soyanarchisto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawalaser View Post
So tempting. . .
soyanarchisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:35 PM   #4050
Sam Buca
a.k.a. Daniel

Oddometer: 2,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillCreek View Post

If Citizen made a clean, analog face diver with Eco-drive and atomic syncronization, I would buy a bunch of them.

Amen!

Sam Buca is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: