http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=925019
Bongolia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:10 AM   #4052
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by tslewisz View Post
Eventually the cell in an EcoDrive will need to be replaced. It's not inexpensive and the perpetual calendar in mine was a PITA after the 1st cell change. Never was right. And since I have multiple watches, my wearing habit wasn't really compatible with Eco. I'd rather toss an unworn watch in a drawer and give it a shake when I want to wear it rather than seek out a North facing window sill. And even when I was wearing my Eco nearly all the time, winter time with long sleeves and office lighting made for poor charging. Mine is on its 3rd cell and it's sitting dead on the kitchen window sill. I love the case/bracelet, though. Very nice Ti diver. I wish I could put an auto movement in it.

I wear mine in the winter too w/ long sleeves...never ever saw it ever kick into the jumping-second-hand power conservation mode. Mine's a relatively young'n though...only 3.5 or so yrs old.

I've heard several things about the cells in these things. The one I believe is that alot of the variation in what you hear comes from two things.

First...buying NOS eco-drives is a lousy idea. (New old stock supplies...new watches that have been sitting around on the shelves for years) And alot of folks who're looking for the cheapest deal they can find bargains with old stock sold at depreciated values. But it's false economy, bcs w/o healthy doses of light to top up the watch, the battery just slowly degrades in the display case. It doesn't happen quickly...it takes a long-ass time for the cells to degrade. But some of these stock are seroiusly ancient and eventually craps out in the dark enough so that some folks just don't get anywhere close to the capacity needed. You ever see a toy shipped with batteries *installed*? Rare. Most of the time, if it's pre-installed, they've got some plastic pull tab you yank to make the cell contact the electronics. These guys aren't shipped like that. They're shipped...running. Yes, they can go a long-ass time w/o a charge, & still keep time. But that statement and the "can last for 2 decades" are mutually exclusive, if you really abuse the cell. It's intended to be topped up relatively frequently. And even if *you* don't abuse the cell...the shop that sold it to you might have abused it, simply by holding onto it for four years. It'll turn on when you open the box...but it'll crap out quickly. It's best to get these watches onto somebody's wrist, or sitting in indirect light w/ relatively little time spent in the supply chain. Makes sense, right?

Second, of course, is that they've made several generations of eco-drive calibers, and the notion of replacing batteries was a bigger issue in the older models. Same goes for Seiko Kinetic. The power management was just not as sophisticated. The power conservation logic on mine is pretty aggressive. Before you get close to the jumping second hand, there's also the LCD powerdown, which I see happening when I turn on the lights in the darkness...the LCD doesn't display anything if the watch has been in the dark for 30 minutes. And then there's the cool dealeo where everything stops if it's been in the dark for weeks on end...and then it all kicks in and spins like mad to show you the right time when you bring it out. But I never see that mode kick in, bcs this guys on my wrist about 95% of the time.

Autos, of course, are also a mixed bag. The routine CLA maintenance, of course, is relatively costly. But the nice thing about autos is that you stand half a chance of having it fail gracefully. Autos can fail in any number of ways. You can strip the crown. You can bend the cam lever under the pusher. You can jam the date mechanism while hacking it. But hopefully all that happens is that it goes out of whack & starts gaining time. That's a nice graceful way to fail, as opposed to just crapping out. You can still get along with your life, having an almost-accurate watch tell you time that is predictably close to the real time. Of course, these days, whether your watch craps out or fails gracefully is almost moot, bcs alternatives exist. But it's a nice to have bit.

DriveShaft screwed with this post 11-23-2011 at 08:29 AM
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 05:23 PM   #4053
Mav
Something witty...

Oddometer: 3,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
My new watch:

I got the metal strap too but I'm liking the rubber strap.
So I took my watch of Friday night as I was doing an off-road racing course... I got back late Sunday night and it was still running! Maybe this is normal... but neither my Breitling or OW ever managed running 2 full days without any movement

-------------------------
All the gear.. no idea!
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:26 PM   #4054
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,753
Nothing to call your mother about, it's just a Sturhling after all, but I wanted a clean white watch. I'm usually not into quartz but I wanted it thin so I had no choice.

Very nice for the price I paid (44$ delivered to my door).

Old 11-25-2011, 12:17 PM   #4055
Terrytori
Namaste

Oddometer: 1,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
Nothing to call your mother about, it's just a Sturhling after all, but I wanted a clean white watch. I'm usually not into quartz but I wanted it thin so I had no choice.

Very nice for the price I paid (44$ delivered to my door).

Love 'em that clean.

http://www.secordgallery.com/gallery...2_itemId=35642
Terrytori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 03:26 PM   #4056
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Got my new leather strap for the little mechanical chinese.

Here's the Shanghai with its previous Zulu strap.

Now the new, more "classy", croco style leather band.

Old 11-25-2011, 04:22 PM   #4057
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawalaser View Post
This watch is sold right now.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:09 AM   #4058

Oddometer: 4,716
Got my Nighthawk minus the bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeflow
conformity makes better taxpayers.
13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:58 AM   #4059
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,311
Quote:
Got my new leather strap for the little mechanical chinese.

Now the new, more "classy", croco style leather band.

It looks perfect. Where'd you get the Shanghai? I apologize if you've already said.
tslewisz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:22 PM   #4060
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
It looks perfect. Where'd you get the Shanghai? I apologize if you've already said.
Thanks mate!

Can't remember if I said it already...Ebay, as simple as that my friend!

You can find a ton (ok, maybe a little less than a ton) of them for damn cheap out there. All new old stock.

Mine has been shipped with a cheap fake leather band so I put one of my Zulu strap on it but I wanted something more classy so I changed it with this nice leather band.

And damn, I think you're right, it looks perfect. So nice that it became my new favorite everyday watch.

Not bad at all for a 23$ (shipped!) watch and a 13$ leather band...doesn't it?

This guys has some more if you're interested.

Linky

I dig this other model too.

Those watches are small though...but it's ok for me since I have some chicken wrists. Think of the size of a Seiko 5.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:14 PM   #4061
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,311
Thank you!
tslewisz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:02 PM   #4062
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thank you!
No problem!

One more thing. I offered him 15$ + shipping (8$) for this watch and he accepted the deal so you should be able to buy it for less than the listed price.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:36 AM   #4063
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,022
Quote:
No problem!

One more thing. I offered him 15$ + shipping (8$) for this watch and he accepted the deal so you should be able to buy it for less than the listed price.
He'd definitely bite on a $15 offer, bcs you gotta realize, he's getting his stock for maybe $3-7, maybe less! He's banking on the fact that you'd find his price much more attractive than a plane ticket to Asia, but it's still a healthy margin for him.

A nice strap really does make a difference...looks sharp.

Don't get it wet!
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:34 AM   #4064
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
He'd definitely bite on a $15 offer, bcs you gotta realize, he's getting his stock for maybe $3-7, maybe less! He's banking on the fact that you'd find his price much more attractive than a plane ticket to Asia, but it's still a healthy margin for him.

A nice strap really does make a difference...looks sharp.

Don't get it wet!
I know but I recognize him the right to make money from his work. 23$ shipped is still a great price for this little watch, no matter what.

I don't plan to get it wet...
Old 12-09-2011, 12:50 AM   #4065
Bongolia
stop acting

Oddometer: 16,112

Got it bad for this one. Negotiating.

Mongol Rally 2014: www.teamvanvan.com
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=925019
Bongolia is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: