User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 438 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 05:36 PM   #4246
Censport
Vendor

Oddometer: 424
The original leather strap on my Jacques Lemans isn't working for me any more and I can't find a proper bracelet for it. So for a temporary measure, I stopped by Wal-Mart the other night and got a $10 sport strap. Does the job nicely.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:28 PM   #4247
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccleuch View Post
In my experience, the COSC "Certified Chronometer" label is largely a marketing gimmick. Sure, the cased movements are "certified" by the COSC, but I've had Miyota movements in watches that kept better time.

My Hamilton Khaki Aviation has a COSC certification, and it uses a 7750.

WA.
I have two COSC and two not. Usually the cost of the certification is passed on in cost of watch.

I suspect that a more important issue is overall repeatability...if you lose 6 seconds one day and then gain 12 seconds the next, then gains 4 the next and loses 8 the fourth day, you really are not very accurate. I'd rather it just gained or lost the same each day.

Ball makes watches both ways, for example. They use ETA movements.

I suspect that any quality movement can be fine tuned to meet COSC.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:40 AM   #4248
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
True. The Hamilton Khaki Field Chrono is quite similar and has the Valjoux 7750 movement. The Hamilton can be had for less than $500 if you are patient.

I'm disappointed to hear that IWC is using the same movement in their watches. You would think for the price that they would put their own movement in there. I know there are things watchmakers do to tweak the various movements, but I wonder about the accuracy of such a generic movement. A friend has an Omega Speedmaster and he brags about the "certified chronometer" aspect of his watch. I wonder if IWC can make the same claim with a 7750 movement.
The pragmatic part of me would say there's little to be gained in putting your own movement in there, because the cost of doing so would severely limit the market you could address. And for what gain? It costs *alot* more to manufacture. It costs the owner alot more to maintain. The movement itself is certainly a big part of what makes a watch. But you better be adding some value instead of guilding the lily. I've actually been a big fan of modular designs lately that take a good engine and do something interesting with it.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:43 PM   #4249
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,988
I always thought my old Explorer was pretty accurate for a mechanical watch.

And then, I measured it:

That picture is a year or two old. Next time I wear it, I'll see if it's still running as accurately as it was when the pic was taken.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:57 PM   #4250
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Well, here it is. Timefactors.com sells 'em and has a lot better close up photos, but I just thought you would like to see it. I had no idea it was a nearly identical copy of the Explorer above!

Ordered on Monday, Delivered by Thursday. Not bad for coming from England, and they nicked me $20 in Customs Duty.

This is a much better watch than I thought it would be for the price - the bracelet is quite solid and utterly belies the low price.

Sorry the pic is so crummy - iPhone.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Old 03-22-2012, 11:25 PM   #4251
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,357
It looks fantastic.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
tslewisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:16 PM   #4252
petefromberkeley
-

Oddometer: 3,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
I have two COSC and two not. Usually the cost of the certification is passed on in cost of watch.

Ball makes watches both ways, for example. They use ETA movements.

I suspect that any quality movement can be fine tuned to meet COSC.

My 1960s Ball is not certified but it lost half a second a day until I had it serviced about a year ago. Now it averages about a two second a day loss. I suppose I could bring it in and get it a little closer to perfect. In any case, I'm not complaining.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:37 PM   #4253
overlandr
Dystopist

Oddometer: 5,856
Novice guide for disassembly and assembly of a Seiko 7S26 mechanism

I found a useful guide written for the novice horologist relating to the disassembly and assembly of a Seiko 7S26 mechanism. It may be of interest to some here as an introduction to working on a typical automatic movement.

http://www.clockmaker.com.au/diy_seiko_7s26/

I like his opening sentence: "A positive attitude is a MUST. Words like "too difficult," "boring," "disappointed," or similar spirit-killers are not allowed."
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:29 PM   #4254
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Very cool, thanks for posting that.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:31 PM   #4255
urbancowboy
Vicious Cycler

Oddometer: 1,766
Quote:
I'm sorry to hear that.

Have you gotten your new watch yet?
Yup. Got it on Wednesday. Very happy with it. Came in a Seiko box with warranty card.

I Put it on a maratac NATO strap but the original one might be nicer.
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:50 PM   #4256
MoxNix
Stuttgart Germany

Oddometer: 1,171
Just picked this up Friday-

Old 03-25-2012, 06:12 PM   #4257
Hardware02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware02 View Post
I also have this Citizen Titanium Eco Drive;

Here's a better pic of my Seiko Land Monster (pic I posted above was my own blurry cell pic) - found this on the 'net;

So...because I don't have enough diver's watches, today I picked up this...(SKA369P)

Hardware02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:53 AM   #4258
Minnesota
Conform or be cast out

Oddometer: 3,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancowboy View Post
Yup. Got it on Wednesday. Very happy with it. Came in a Seiko box with warranty card.

I Put it on a maratac NATO strap but the original one might be nicer.

What?!? A BOX???
Old 03-26-2012, 01:50 PM   #4259
maalstroom
Ferret Legger

Oddometer: 458
very nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoxNix View Post
Just picked this up Friday-

Old 03-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #4260
fudgypup
Banned

Oddometer: 2,199
Quote:
Impressions?

This thing looks legit. It came with the instruction book and warranty card. I don't know much about these things, but that warranty card seems to be the deal-maker, from what I have read elsewhere.

I bought this watch because of the price, the appearance, and because of the day-date feature, which is something I find myself missing on my Hamilton.

Comparing the Seiko to the Hamilton, they both have a solid, but not heavy feel. The Hamilton's movement is almost silent, as is the Seiko. The Seiko is non-hacking, but you can still set it quite precisely by manipulating the crown properly. The Crystal on the Hamilton is domed whereas the Seiko's is flat. The lume on the Seiko is pretty good. That will need more testing than me standing in the bathroom with the lights off. All that said, I think my wife will have a hard time telling that I bought a new watch, as they look so similar.

This will be my daily wearer when I am doing things like working on the car, house, bike, etc. For the money it is a guilt-free watch that can be used hard. For more formal situations I have the Hamilton, but the Seiko will take the scratches that I feel bad putting on the Hammy.

I am pleased with the initial look and feel of the watch. I will have to give it some time to see what the mechanical quality is.
I saw your post and liked the watch. It's simple, inexpensive and automatic. I've never had an automatic before. I have an Omega Seamaster Quartz, that I absolutely love. I think I paid around $1000 for it about 6 years ago.

So I found this thing sold by a "reputable" (lots of sales, lots of positive comments) seller on eBay and bought it but freaked a bit when it came in the mail. For one, the return address was Kowloon. That's Hong Kong (China), not Japan which makes me think I just got played.

It didn't come in any official Seiko packaging. I didn't even get the manual you got.

I'm wondering how it could be water resistant to 100m if the side crown doesn't screw down?

Mine also has the arabic but I advanced it to the English. The only thing is that today it should have said "MON" but was back to Arabic. I changed it back to English so let's see if tomorrow says "allahu akbar" instead of "TUE."

If this thing is legit, then I guess I'll be happy with it. It's a decent looking watch. I'm just still skeptical that this thing is a bad chinese knockoff that's going to break any second.
fudgypup is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: