Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 397 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 01:58 PM   #4531
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
The painted version fares more poorly than the trit tube version, bcs it has to deal with deterioration in addition to decay.

Wrt the aesthetics of trit tubes... Ball's been experimenting with some pretty cool ways to avoid that.

Look at the arabic chapters here...nicely done:

Ball is pure class. I love the way they use trit tubes.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:42 PM   #4532
AKjeff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccleuch View Post
Pop that Monster open and adjust it.

WA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
Yeah, EASILY adjusted.
I've been meaning to pick up a couple watch tools and start tinkering, thanks.
I talked to a jeweler here that replaces the battery in my Citizen, he said he couldn't adjust it.

Time to buy some tools, any recommendations?

AKjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:56 PM   #4533
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKjeff View Post
I talked to a jeweler here that replaces the battery in my Citizen, he said he couldn't adjust it.

You'll only need a case opener and a tooth pick, but a tool set is a nice thing to have. I have the 10watches kit and although the caseback opener is a bit crappy, the complete kit is a handy thing.

http://www.10watches.com/apps/websto...ts/show/121876

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:02 PM   #4534
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:

Here's the movement, the thing that has an arm, and pointer that sits below the + and - is the movement calibration area. If slow, turn towards + if fast, guess where to go with it?

\
Old 05-02-2012, 03:43 PM   #4535
AKjeff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,058
Thanks for the link and pic.

Flood, when you say "a bit crappy", is it a pain to use or is it likely to mar the case or back if I'm not careful? I've read up on a few different case back openers, will one opener open all cases? I wouldn't mind spending a little more for a better opener, if it makes things easier.

I figured it was as simple as moving an adjusting lever. I was a little surprised when the jeweler said he couldn't do it. I may not have specified that it was a mechanical watch.

AKjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:45 PM   #4536
Buccleuch
Resistance is futile.

Oddometer: 1,695
I picked up this caseback wrench from amazon. It's inexpensive, seems fairly well put together, and comes with a number of bit types and sizes to open casebacks with round or square holes, or the knurled ring of a Rolex caseback - although that would take a very steady and firm hand.

Any time you're attempting to adjust the regulation on a wristwatch, make sure you only tweak the arm for adjusting the regulation, and don't touch the isochronism adjustment! The isochronism adjustment is what makes the angular excursion of the balance wheel the same on the tick and the tock. This, in turn can affect the stability of the timebase and how it reacts to the state of wind of the mainspring.

WA.

WA.
Buccleuch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:52 PM   #4537
Buccleuch
Resistance is futile.

Oddometer: 1,695
He probably said he couldn't do it because he doesn't have a watch timing machine. If you don't have one, it's a succession of tweaks and observations made over days, and he probably doesn't want to see you back at his shop over and over for the next three weeks!

Here's a more detailed pic of the Monster movement, from this guide on the PMWF. Note the "Do not touch the spring stud" caution.

WA.
Buccleuch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:57 PM   #4538
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccleuch View Post
He probably said he couldn't do it because he doesn't have a watch timing machine. If you don't have one, it's a succession of tweaks and observations made over days, and he probably doesn't want to see you back at his shop over and over for the next three weeks!

Here's a more detailed pic of the Monster movement, from this guide on the PMWF. Note the "Do not touch the spring stud" caution.

WA.
Oh...btw...wrt the "do not touch the spring stud" caution...it moves *very* easily, just so you know.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:59 PM   #4539
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:

Flood, when you say "a bit crappy", is it a pain to use or is it likely to mar the case or back if I'm not careful? I've read up on a few different case back openers, will one opener open all cases? I wouldn't mind spending a little more for a better opener, if it makes things easier.

I figured it was as simple as moving an adjusting lever. I was a little surprised when the jeweler said he couldn't do it. I may not have specified that it was a mechanical watch.
A cheaper case wrench will just need more finesse to use to keep it from falling out of the slots and scratching the case back. Just be careful and it'll be easy. Do remove, clean and re grease the O ring with silicone grease, and very lightly so before you reinstall it and the case back.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:13 PM   #4540
kfalls_rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:

If you want a cheap (KLR) opener, take some duct tape and roll-up a ball. Press the ball on the case-back and twist. I have tools but I have used this method and it works. It will not scratch the case.

Don't forget to do this in a dust free room.(as dust free as possible) A little adjust then wait a day or two and adjust again.... until you are happy.
kfalls_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:35 AM   #4541
Shaggie
Unseen University

Oddometer: 2,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by marret View Post
Nice cufflinks!

I just picked up a new watch, LUM-TEC M27 GMT Tungsten:

thanks!

Beautiful Lum-Tec!

"We are not at home to Mr Reasonable" - Sam Vimes

NZ Touring pics:Brass Monkey 2009:Kiwi Sun:Tiki-touring: Daytrips in NZ
Shaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:40 AM   #4542
Shaggie
Unseen University

Oddometer: 2,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post

What model is that?

"We are not at home to Mr Reasonable" - Sam Vimes

NZ Touring pics:Brass Monkey 2009:Kiwi Sun:Tiki-touring: Daytrips in NZ
Shaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:20 AM   #4543
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggie View Post
What model is that?
Engineer Master II Worldtime Diver.

There are things about it I really like.
Then there are things about it that really turn me off.

IMO, it looks best int he dark, bcs some of that dial is pretty OTT unless you have a need for timezones.

BMW just contracted them to roll out a bunch of BMW watches...so prepare to have the propeller memorialized in Trit tubes.

DriveShaft screwed with this post 05-03-2012 at 01:49 AM
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:30 AM   #4544
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Quote:

A two-prong opener like the one in the 10watches-set can slip more easily, resulting in a scratch. But you're fine as long as you don't hold it like a monkey wrench at the end of the grip, but rather put your hand over the center of the watch, pressing the tool firmly down in the caseback notches.

Oh, and regulating is a bit of a pain, especially when you try to get better than +- 15 seconds. You'll overshoot for days on end, even if you just think about touching that lever without moving it visibly.

You could of course buy a timegrapher or rig up a small microphone with PC timegraphing software...but with a new watch, I usually play around with the regulator for 3 or 4 days and then let it be without shooting for perfection and never set the watch on the exact second again.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:24 AM   #4545
nephron
countercurrent exchanger

Oddometer: 229
why do watches (and clocks) with roman numerals display 4 as IIII instead of IV?
nephron is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: