Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 307 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 09-02-2012, 04:47 PM   #4951
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
On but off topic, how do you guy's explain the cost of a watch to those who ask how much it cost, then get all wiggy when you tell them?
Ask them how much they spent on beer last year.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:11 PM   #4952
kawalaser
Hip to be square

Oddometer: 8,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stiski View Post
I enjoy my PVD Nighthawk LOTS... especially after putting on the on SNPR custom PVD Killer strap.
IT IS KILLER...
nice watch/strap combo there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednas
I will never sink to the level of stealing from the homeless.
kawalaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:25 PM   #4953
revmaaatin
Sioux Empire Iron Horse

Oddometer: 256
the pvd helpers friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawalaser View Post
nice watch/strap combo there.

If you like this watch pvd nighthawk etal.
this thread/forum will be helpful.
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f281/collectors-guide-all-different-citizen-nighthawk-variants-253986.html

...fine is the line between foolishness and daring....Paul Vasey Rivers of America
revmaaatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:41 AM   #4954
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby View Post
Pics, or you're bluffing.

I'll dig it out of the safe someday and take some.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:34 PM   #4955
ADKbeemer
Understanding Serendipity

Oddometer: 2,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by revmaaatin View Post
If you like this watch pvd nighthawk etal.
this thread/forum will be helpful.
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f281/collectors-guide-all-different-citizen-nighthawk-variants-253986.html
I just got the euro pvd version of the nighthawk and really like it....that band might be a good option when the nice bracelet it comes with gets worn.

...this thread is a fun way to go broke!
ADKbeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:48 AM   #4956
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,090
PVD question

With the popularity of PVD I have been thinking about getting an old Tag Heuer watch redone. The watch I have in a mid-80s Black Coral II that was originally two tone (black and gold). The black was apparently done at the Tag factory with a Sharpie because it started rubbing off almost immediately.

Web reference shot (not mine):

Anyone out there know if it's worth refinishing to an all black PVD? If so, what do you suppose they would charge?
Old 09-05-2012, 07:54 AM   #4957
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

[QUOTE=revmaaatin;19502761]
Quote:
On but off topic, how do you guy's explain the cost of a watch to those who ask how much it cost, then get all wiggy when you tell them?

How about,
"If you have to ask, you can't afford it."

To let you know:
mrose pSniper X has led me down the path and lured me into THREE parson-salary watches!
and, I wear them--with great joy.

I have used the if you have to ask answer, but I was wondering if someone here had a genius quip they had devised. So which watches have I led you down said path to buy? I am curious to see them!
Old 09-05-2012, 10:58 AM   #4958
revmaaatin
Sioux Empire Iron Horse

Oddometer: 256
The PVD designation

Trying to grasp what qualifies as a PVD watch--

http://www.oris.ch/services/faq.aspx?ln=en&sel=2&id_faq=9

- What is PVD?

An abbreviation which stands for Physical Vapour Deposition. The PVD technology used for Oris watches and bracelets is one of the most up-to-date and non-polluting coating systems. Its quality can be compared to 10 micron gold plating. The PVD finish is highly scratchproof and long lasting. The authentic gilt colour tone is obtained by applying a 23 carat gold layer. The primary desirable qualities of PVD coatings are hardness, durability and anti-allergenic properties. An enhanced process allows the deposition of extremely hard and smooth diamond like carbon (DLC) film.

Is this slightly thin in its explanation?
Seems like color is not a criteria--

So how do you know if it is PVD?

...fine is the line between foolishness and daring....Paul Vasey Rivers of America
revmaaatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:15 AM   #4959
mjydrafter
evil boy for life

Oddometer: 3,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by revmaaatin View Post
Trying to grasp what qualifies as a PVD watch--

http://www.oris.ch/services/faq.aspx?ln=en&sel=2&id_faq=9

- What is PVD?

An abbreviation which stands for Physical Vapour Deposition. The PVD technology used for Oris watches and bracelets is one of the most up-to-date and non-polluting coating systems. Its quality can be compared to 10 micron gold plating. The PVD finish is highly scratchproof and long lasting. The authentic gilt colour tone is obtained by applying a 23 carat gold layer. The primary desirable qualities of PVD coatings are hardness, durability and anti-allergenic properties. An enhanced process allows the deposition of extremely hard and smooth diamond like carbon (DLC) film.

Is this slightly thin in its explanation?
Seems like color is not a criteria--

So how do you know if it is PVD?
That's how they make stainless, black.

I think it's how they coat TiN drill bits as well.
Yes! Whenever bicycles are broken, or menaced by International Communism, Bicycle Repair Man is ready!
mjydrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:17 PM   #4960
Jarvis
DC GSer

Oddometer: 10,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
I've been facinated by the SD technology, and the ONLY pity of that watch is that they don't have a glass back so you can see the movement at work.

Mine does.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #4961
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarvis View Post
Mine does.
the glass back models are limited to 200m. Solid backs are rated to 300m. For me it's a no-brainer. I wear it all the time, so even if it had a glass back you wouldn't be able to see the movement 'cause my wrist is in the way.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:50 PM   #4962
CA_Strom
Cunning Linguist

Oddometer: 2,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
the glass back models are limited to 200m. Solid backs are rated to 300m. For me it's a no-brainer. I wear it all the time, so even if it had a glass back you wouldn't be able to see the movement 'cause my wrist is in the way.
My glass exhibition back Oris Diver is rated to 300m. Not that I give an eff about the glass back, but it's nice to admire the rotor and movement every now and then. Overall I've been very very happy with the Oris; no issues in over two years of daily wear.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:46 PM   #4963
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Strom View Post
My glass exhibition back Oris Diver is rated to 300m. Not that I give an eff about the glass back, but it's nice to admire the rotor and movement every now and then. Overall I've been very very happy with the Oris; no issues in over two years of daily wear.
OK, I guess trying to quote the water resistance specs from memory isn't possible for me. Basically, Seiko must suck at water resistance:

The Grand Seiko spring drive glass back watches are rated for 10 bar = 100m = 330ft. (including the chono's)

Solid back Grand Seiko's (GMT & grand seiko diver) are rated to 20 Bar = 200m = 660 ft.

Spring drive (not grand seiko) MarineMaster prospex diver is rated to 60 Bar = 600m = 1968 ft.

Personally, I will never be in water deeper than 12 ft. with my watch.

On the other hand, I will be wearing it on M10... imagine a watch being subject to a paint shaker for 8h/day x 14d. A well-regulated (within 5-10sec/day) ETA movement gained over a minute/day when subject to that stress. Anyone want to speculate how a GS spring drive will fare?

(My buddy at work thinks I'm nuts to wear it on the trip -- but that's why I bought the GS GMT, I was happy with the MKII until I wore it on M9 and it let me down, failing to do the ONE thing a watch is supposed to do... keep frigging TIME!)
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:35 AM   #4964
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
OK, I guess trying to quote the water resistance specs from memory isn't possible for me. Basically, Seiko must suck at water resistance:

The Grand Seiko spring drive glass back watches are rated for 10 bar = 100m = 330ft. (including the chono's)

Solid back Grand Seiko's (GMT & grand seiko diver) are rated to 20 Bar = 200m = 660 ft.

Spring drive (not grand seiko) MarineMaster prospex diver is rated to 60 Bar = 600m = 1968 ft.

Personally, I will never be in water deeper than 12 ft. with my watch.

On the other hand, I will be wearing it on M10... imagine a watch being subject to a paint shaker for 8h/day x 14d. A well-regulated (within 5-10sec/day) ETA movement gained over a minute/day when subject to that stress. Anyone want to speculate how a GS spring drive will fare?

(My buddy at work thinks I'm nuts to wear it on the trip -- but that's why I bought the GS GMT, I was happy with the MKII until I wore it on M9 and it let me down, failing to do the ONE thing a watch is supposed to do... keep frigging TIME!)
AND don't be fooled by those ratings. Look at this.
Water resistance rating Suitability Remarks
Water Resistant 3 ATM or 30 m Suitable for everyday use. Splash/rain resistant. NOT suitable for showering, bathing, swimming, snorkelling, water related work and fishing. NOT suitable for diving.
Water Resistant 5 ATM or 50 m Suitable for swimming, white water rafting, non-snorkeling water related work, and fishing. NOT suitable for diving.
Water Resistant 10 ATM or 100 m Suitable for recreational surfing, swimming, snorkeling, sailing and water sports. NOT suitable for diving.
Water Resistant 20 ATM or 200 m Suitable for professional marine activity and serious surface water sports. NOT suitable for diving.
Diver's 100 m Minimum ISO standard (ISO 6425) for scuba diving at depths NOT suitable for saturation diving. Diver's 100 m and 150 m watches are generally old(er) watches.
Diver's 200 m or 300 m Suitable for scuba diving at depths NOT suitable for saturation diving. Typical ratings for contemporary diver's watches.
Diver's 300+ m for mixed-gas diving Suitable for saturation diving (helium enriched environment). Watches designed for mixed-gas diving will have the DIVER’S WATCH L M FOR MIXED-GAS DIVING additional marking to point this out.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:10 AM   #4965
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,262
Quote:
AND don't be fooled by those ratings. Look at this.
Water resistance rating Suitability Remarks
Water Resistant 3 ATM or 30 m Suitable for everyday use. Splash/rain resistant. NOT suitable for showering, bathing, swimming, snorkelling, water related work and fishing. NOT suitable for diving.
Water Resistant 5 ATM or 50 m Suitable for swimming, white water rafting, non-snorkeling water related work, and fishing. NOT suitable for diving.
Water Resistant 10 ATM or 100 m Suitable for recreational surfing, swimming, snorkeling, sailing and water sports. NOT suitable for diving.
Water Resistant 20 ATM or 200 m Suitable for professional marine activity and serious surface water sports. NOT suitable for diving.
Diver's 100 m Minimum ISO standard (ISO 6425) for scuba diving at depths NOT suitable for saturation diving. Diver's 100 m and 150 m watches are generally old(er) watches.
Diver's 200 m or 300 m Suitable for scuba diving at depths NOT suitable for saturation diving. Typical ratings for contemporary diver's watches.
Diver's 300+ m for mixed-gas diving Suitable for saturation diving (helium enriched environment). Watches designed for mixed-gas diving will have the DIVER’S WATCH L M FOR MIXED-GAS DIVING additional marking to point this out.
I prefer this reference. A good read.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: