ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 299 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 09:21 AM   #4966
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber
 
Sniper X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
Oddometer: 33,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
Isn't that like having a 5yo kid ask you how far it is to the Sun and saying this?

The semi-major axis of Earth's orbit is 149,597,887.5 kilometers. When it is closest to the Sun (perihelion) it is 147,098,074 km or 0.98 AU. At farthest (aphelion) it is 152,097,701 km or 1.02 AU.
We are farthest away during summer in the Northern Hemisphere (around July 4th), and closest around January 4, which is summer in the Southern Hemisphere.

Instead of 93 million miles......
__________________
" The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Straight Out Da Trailah!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:41 AM   #4967
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2005
Oddometer: 4,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
Isn't that like having a 5yo kid ask you how far it is to the Sun and saying this?

The semi-major axis of Earth's orbit is 149,597,887.5 kilometers. When it is closest to the Sun (perihelion) it is 147,098,074 km or 0.98 AU. At farthest (aphelion) it is 152,097,701 km or 1.02 AU.
We are farthest away during summer in the Northern Hemisphere (around July 4th), and closest around January 4, which is summer in the Southern Hemisphere.

Instead of 93 million miles......


Or "effin' far..."
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:11 PM   #4968
jmlmjmjm
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Oddometer: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
Isn't that like having a 5yo kid ask you how far it is to the Sun and saying this?

The semi-major axis of Earth's orbit is 149,597,887.5 kilometers. When it is closest to the Sun (perihelion) it is 147,098,074 km or 0.98 AU. At farthest (aphelion) it is 152,097,701 km or 1.02 AU.
We are farthest away during summer in the Northern Hemisphere (around July 4th), and closest around January 4, which is summer in the Southern Hemisphere.

Instead of 93 million miles......
Either way the 5yo does not understand......but I get your point.
__________________
John M.
'08 Kawasaki Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads
jmlmjmjm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #4969
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber
 
Sniper X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
Oddometer: 33,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlmjmjm View Post
Either way the 5yo does not understand......but I get your point.
Albeit they can't quantify how far 93 million miles is, they get that a lot more than the Astro Physics lesson as I stated. Reminds me of when I was asked how big is the Earth and quoted it as an equation when all the kid wanted to know was how may miles it was around. Oh, and this is what I stated,

5.97219 1024 kilograms
__________________
" The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Straight Out Da Trailah!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:17 PM   #4970
perterra
-. --- .--. .
 
perterra's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Tejas
Oddometer: 7,400
I've slowly evolved away from newer watches in the last 5 years or so and moved to vintage American made ones. A 1953 Gruen with the American made 335 movement, has about a 40 hour power reserve on a winding. Looked pretty crappy when I got it, had it restored as best I could afford. Great time keeper, loses 10 or 12 seconds a day.


Next on the restore blocks is a 1946 Lord Elgin, completely refurbed Elgin 559 American made movement, gold case, original gold springbars just needs the dial restored, but I'm really thinking I'll leave it as is. Has a soild 3 day power reserve and keeps perfect time. Matches my old Oris and loses about 4 seconds a day compared to a quartz Omega.

.

I never have to worry about seeing some snotty nosed young and upcoming executive in a snappy 4 button sport coat thats 2 sizes too small with sleeves an inch too short and skin tight pants wearing the same watch I am.

Down side, not shock proof and not even slightly moisture resistant. On wet days or days I know I will be sweating I leave it at home and take something else.

If you are a style hound, they are extremely small and you arent going to get people saying, oh cool, Jame Bond wears one of those. So if that shit bothers you, look for a newer watch.
__________________
My Father was my maker. Poverty was my maker. Distrust was my maker. I have met them all my life.


IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:19 PM   #4971
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2005
Oddometer: 4,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post

Down side, not shock proof and not even slightly moisture resistant. On wet days or days I know I will be sweating I leave it at home and take something else.
yeah, that's the main reason I stopped looking at vintage. I'd destroy those gems in a month or so.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:31 PM   #4972
perterra
-. --- .--. .
 
perterra's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Tejas
Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
yeah, that's the main reason I stopped looking at vintage. I'd destroy those gems in a month or so.
I've got a few dressier and casual watches that get worn on wet days, on hard work days it's either a Tag 1500 or a Seiko 6309
__________________
My Father was my maker. Poverty was my maker. Distrust was my maker. I have met them all my life.


IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #4973
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!
 
Lobby's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Oddometer: 27,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post
I never have to worry about seeing some snotty nosed young and upcoming executive in a snappy 4 button sport coat thats 2 sizes too small with sleeves an inch too short and skin tight pants wearing the same watch I am.

Beautiful Gruen.

Every time I'm walking by as my wife watches American Idol, I remark "that dude's suit is waaaay too tight."

I thought I was the only one that noticed.
__________________
Gracie's Gold
Lobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:02 PM   #4974
perterra
-. --- .--. .
 
perterra's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Tejas
Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby View Post
Beautiful Gruen.

Every time I'm walking by as my wife watches American Idol, I remark "that dude's suit is waaaay too tight."

I thought I was the only one that noticed.
Every time I have to go in the office I get to sit and listen to the latest young crop of soon to be important young executives dressed like that talking about how they only drink some obscure craft beer, single cask hootch and smoke some fuckin $10 cigar. Then when I see them in the parking lot they are climbing into some clapped out civic with a trashcan size muffler and 3 different brands of tires and the donut spare and the headliner laying down on their head.

Makes me want to buy a Lone Star or pick up a bottle of gusano rojo just to clean the image out of my mind.
__________________
My Father was my maker. Poverty was my maker. Distrust was my maker. I have met them all my life.


IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:40 AM   #4975
groop
So much to ponder
 
groop's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: oc, ca
Oddometer: 3,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post
Every time I have to go in the office I get to sit and listen to the latest young crop of soon to be important young executives dressed like that talking about how they only drink some obscure craft beer, single cask hootch and smoke some fuckin $10 cigar. Then when I see them in the parking lot they are climbing into some clapped out civic with a trashcan size muffler and 3 different brands of tires and the donut spare and the headliner laying down on their head.

.
That is poetry right there and something too many of us can relate to. Well done sir.
__________________
Because you cannot eat a salad with a spork.
groop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:33 AM   #4976
bfd70
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Chiraq
Oddometer: 720
I Could use a little watch winder help.I purchased a winder off of amazon. It holds 2 watches, and cost about $100 bucks. it will not keep my Explorer II or Seamaster Aqua terra wound. I'm guessing it does not rotate fast enough. I wear the explorer most days, so it rarely stops. I probably only wear the seamaster 20 days a year. I'd like to keep it wound, simply because it seems like it would be better for the watch. Thoughts? Winder recommendations?
bfd70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:12 PM   #4977
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber
 
Sniper X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
Oddometer: 33,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfd70 View Post
I Could use a little watch winder help.I purchased a winder off of amazon. It holds 2 watches, and cost about $100 bucks. it will not keep my Explorer II or Seamaster Aqua terra wound. I'm guessing it does not rotate fast enough. I wear the explorer most days, so it rarely stops. I probably only wear the seamaster 20 days a year. I'd like to keep it wound, simply because it seems like it would be better for the watch. Thoughts? Winder recommendations?
It may be turning the wrong direction for the Seamaster. Look at the specs for which direction the Seamaster needs to turn. And make sure the winder turns the same direction. I looked round and both those have a bi-directional wind so put the winder on bi directional.
__________________
" The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Straight Out Da Trailah!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:46 PM   #4978
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis
 
Ragin Rabbi's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Western Maryland
Oddometer: 4,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfd70 View Post
I Could use a little watch winder help.I purchased a winder off of amazon. It holds 2 watches, and cost about $100 bucks. it will not keep my Explorer II or Seamaster Aqua terra wound. I'm guessing it does not rotate fast enough. I wear the explorer most days, so it rarely stops. I probably only wear the seamaster 20 days a year. I'd like to keep it wound, simply because it seems like it would be better for the watch. Thoughts? Winder recommendations?
Nothing to be done sir, you'll have to mail me the Seamaster. Understand, I do this only for you, just you......
__________________
Each according to their need, each according to their ability.

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:34 AM   #4979
bfd70
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Chiraq
Oddometer: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
It may be turning the wrong direction for the Seamaster. Look at the specs for which direction the Seamaster needs to turn. And make sure the winder turns the same direction. I looked round and both those have a bi-directional wind so put the winder on bi directional.
I think I have in the past, but let me give it another shot. Thanks.
bfd70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:36 AM   #4980
bfd70
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Chiraq
Oddometer: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Rabbi View Post
Nothing to be done sir, you'll have to mail me the Seamaster. Understand, I do this only for you, just you......
Interesting trades always considered
bfd70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014