User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 318 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 10:25 AM   #4996
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Thats a handsome old Elgin, I believe the star on the dial denotes it as a pre 1946 watch so it sat for a year at least before it was sold. Thats a nice one, ever wear it?

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:05 PM   #4997
BillsR100
Happy Paleoflatus

Oddometer: 2,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
This is a gold Lord Elgin I inherited. My mother gave it to my father on their wedding anniversary in 1947, the year I was born.
That is a really nice watch, I wish it could talk, just imagine the stories it could tell.
BillsR100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:18 PM   #4998
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by theregulator View Post
The FF is a beautiful piece. Would you wear it for it's intended purpose or is it too nice to get wet?
I don't have one but if I did, where I wear it wouldn't matter to me. It's a watch and its primary goal is to tell time and i love its design!
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:55 AM   #4999
theregulator
Shut Up and Ride

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
I don't have one but if I did, where I wear it wouldn't matter to me. It's a watch and its primary goal is to tell time and i love its design!
I am intrigued by different watch owner's wearing habits. Like so many other things, it is rarely black or white but usually some shade of gray.

Recently a WIS who told me that he doesn't like to get any of his watches wet, even the one rated for diving up to 2,000 ft. He is afraid he might damage something. The threads on watch forums asking weather it is OK to shower with a dive watch regularly get strongly worded replies both for and against such action.

I'm with you k7, and generally believe in the wear em if you've got em philosophy but wonder where to draw the line. Would I clear brush in a field or weld in a machine shop while wearing a FF? At some point a prudent person might opt to leave the FF in the drawer to decrease the chances of damaging the finish.
theregulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:28 AM   #5000
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
I am intrigued by different watch owner's wearing habits. Like so many other things, it is rarely black or white but usually some shade of gray.

Recently a WIS who told me that he doesn't like to get any of his watches wet, even the one rated for diving up to 2,000 ft. He is afraid he might damage something. The threads on watch forums asking weather it is OK to shower with a dive watch regularly get strongly worded replies both for and against such action.

I'm with you k7, and generally believe in the wear em if you've got em philosophy but wonder where to draw the line. Would I clear brush in a field or weld in a machine shop while wearing a FF? At some point a prudent person might opt to leave the FF in the drawer to decrease the chances of damaging the finish.
Depends on whether you look at it as a piece of jewelry or a tool I guess. To me the FF isnt all that handsome so it would depend if I had the income to throw away $15k on a watch. In my opinion if you buy one only to put it away or have a fear of wearing you would be better served to buy a knock off and at least wear it. Like women who have hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of jewelry but wear fake because they are afraid they will lose it. Too many people buy watches based on what they think impresses others instead of what impresses theirself.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:57 PM   #5001
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,657
Quote:

IMHO, these are all tool watches meant to absolutely take a beating. I wore a Rolex GMT or Sub doing steel and paper mill startups for years. Those are nasty places for man and machine and I never had an issue.

I have an old Rolex Explorer, a 5 year old Ball GMT, a newer Omega SMP and an 11 year old Breitling B-1. I generally wear them during the day and take them off when I get home from work and put on a 15 year old ani-digi that I cherish as much as any other watch I wear. I do that for as much sentimental reasons as anything else but I don't swap watches for specific activities generally speaking unless it involves kayaking and a wet top. I've forgotten to remove one watch prior to ripping off the top and the watch ended up in the bottom of San Diego bay by the docks. Luckily, we were able to dive down and get it back. It was only in about 20 feet of water. We also found two other watches (cheap digital models) in the process!

OTOH, there are some watches now that exceed what I'm willing to pay or wear doing anything so I suppose we all have our limites!
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:32 PM   #5002
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,536
I like bit of wear on my watches, pretty much like my bikes as well. But I prefer if I did the wearing. Then again we need people to look after their stuff, how else would you get a good secondhand deal?
Kokopelli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:24 PM   #5003
Daz-o-matic
HOT POOP

Oddometer: 344
Quote:

Before I was a real watch geek I had a few altimeter-barometer-compass watches for my winter job as an avalanche tech/ski patroller. At first, I wore my watch 24/7, including showering, swimming, hot tubs, etc. I only stopped 'cause my '90s aftermarket velcro fabric strap held about three gallons of water and released it on my pants when I sat down and rested my hand on my leg. Made it looked like I peed myself

Considering that those watches were rated to 30m (watch experts consider that "splash-proof" so I'm told), I never had any issues. I beat the hell out of 'em, too. I've had my Suunto observer for , oh, 8-10 years now, and it's still going strong.

Now that I have the bug, I also have a Citizen BL-5250 (quartz Eco-Drive), and two Seiko autos with the 7S26 movement (a Monster and a Seiko 5 military thing).

I take care of them, but I don't baby them; they're tools meant to be used. I'm also a (fairly new) helicopter pilot, and all of them get worn on the job. My Citizen has had more than a few dousings in fuel...

If I'm doing something REALLY nasty - like wrenching on my Jeep - I'll just take my watch off and put it it in my pocket.

As for habits - the Monster is the daytime and/or get wet watch, the SNK807 is kinda the evening/around the house/traveling light choice, the Suunto gets worn wherever elevation is of interest (avalanche work, hikes, etc), and my Citizen kinda gets mixed in wherever I feel I need a change-up
Daz-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:12 AM   #5004
theregulator
Shut Up and Ride

Oddometer: 211
When I started buying nicer watches I wore them regardless of the situation. I got weld splatter on a Breitling several years ago. I was wearing a nice watch when I got hit by a car while riding a bicycle. Watch got trashed but was restored to like new condition by the factory.

For some reason, my spring drive Seiko makes me think more about damage avoidance than anything I've owned previously. It is not the most expensive watch I've owned but the finish is so nice that I'm hesitant to get it in harms way.

Maybe I'm just getting soft as I mature ......
theregulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:42 AM   #5005
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,275
I think a spring drive in my collection might give me pause too.

But I too tend to be the kind that only takes his watch off when trying to cram my hand into a tight spot, where the watch won't physically fit, or hurts to wear. Otherwise, I could be jack hammering, covered in filth, under water, or buck naked (usually not all at the same time) and the watch'll still be on my arm.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:03 AM   #5006
Buccleuch
Resistance is futile.

Oddometer: 1,655
My daily wearer has been my new Momo Design Pilot GMT auto for the past few months. On a trip last week, I stashed it in the door pocket of my truck while on a day-hike to 10,470 feet so I could wear my altimeter wristwatch instead. The door pocket must have been too close to the loudspeaker in the door, because the Momo started gaining about 10 seconds every two hours.

Got it home, and Monday night got out the trusty jeweler's demagnetizer. One zap, and the Momo is back to +2sec/day.

A jeweler's demagnetizer is a handy thing to have around the house if you love autos. I have eight or nine automatics now.

W.A.
Buccleuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:48 PM   #5007
KaceCoyote
Pass the queer more beer

Oddometer: 5,632
Hmm, any Seiko 5 lovers in the house? Tryna decide between snagging a Seiko 5 Mil, or a Citizen eco for a new riding watch. Opinions and photos would be much help.
Everybody talk to them end up in some danger
-MF Doom, Strange ways
KaceCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:14 PM   #5008
Skitch
Riding the range

Oddometer: 1,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaceCoyote View Post
Hmm, any Seiko 5 lovers in the house? Tryna decide between snagging a Seiko 5 Mil, or a Citizen eco for a new riding watch. Opinions and photos would be much help.
If it is a toss up looks-wise, I'd go with the eco-drive. You can't beat the bang for the buck you get with those Citizen watches. despite the fact that I have several nice autos, I really like the fact that my eco-drive keeps very accurate time, is tough as nails, and doesn't need to be set/wound to wear it. It has gotten to be where any watch i am considering, I look to see if Citizen makes a comparable one in an eco-drive.
IBA #21269
-- Golf is for the dead.
Skitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:24 PM   #5009
MrPickle
NP Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 602
Always loved Bullheads...

...but short of the '70's Seiko's and Citizens I've owned (and sold, no more vintage watches for me), there ain't a lot of them currently being being produced...one of them is this bad boy that I just purchased (for a screaming deal). Can't wait for it to get here. It'll replace the Titanium Citizen Sailhawk I just put up in the flea market...

MrPickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:27 PM   #5010
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 4,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitch View Post
If it is a toss up looks-wise, I'd go with the eco-drive. You can't beat the bang for the buck you get with those Citizen watches. despite the fact that I have several nice autos, I really like the fact that my eco-drive keeps very accurate time, is tough as nails, and doesn't need to be set/wound to wear it. It has gotten to be where any watch i am considering, I look to see if Citizen makes a comparable one in an eco-drive.
I use a Citizen Eco as my daily wear watch and have taken it on every trip (hell, the thing only comes off my wrist when I get "dressed up", shower, sleep, school all with the Eco). It is the Divers 300m watch. Crystal has a few nicks and scratches (not it's fault at all) but otherwise it has been perfect. I don't insist upon perfect accuracy as I am not launching nukes or planning split second precision needed military raids.

I didn't like the original rubber band, so I replaced it temporarily with a cheap Timex cloth band till I get my act together and get a Nato strap.

Good watches, tough, and they don't look all that bad.

Like I said, it is on my wrist basically 24-7. So yeah, the crystal is a bit scratched, but you can't see it in person as bad as it looks with the flash. Like I said, tough.

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: