Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 318 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 09-19-2012, 07:51 PM   #5011
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaceCoyote View Post
Hmm, any Seiko 5 lovers in the house? Tryna decide between snagging a Seiko 5 Mil, or a Citizen eco for a new riding watch. Opinions and photos would be much help.
i have both. the citizen was my dad's, so it has sentimental value. the seiko looks good, keeps decent time, but needs to be worn (at least a little) every day.

the eco drive keeps great time, i wear it one or two days a week, and since dad managed to scratch the crystal i don't mind wearing it at work. it was his retirement watch, and is not really a style that a lot of people would pick up for daily wear.

low/no maintenance? citizen.

watch that needs you? seiko

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:04 PM   #5012
KaceCoyote
Pass the queer more beer

Oddometer: 5,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by green hell View Post
i have both. the citizen was my dad's, so it has sentimental value. the seiko looks good, keeps decent time, but needs to be worn (at least a little) every day.

the eco drive keeps great time, i wear it one or two days a week, and since dad managed to scratch the crystal i don't mind wearing it at work. it was his retirement watch, and is not really a style that a lot of people would pick up for daily wear.

low/no maintenance? citizen.

watch that needs you? seiko
So what about the Seiko needs me? Does it wind while I walk or something? I'm strictly a digital guy at this point. My Suunto Vector has been on me 24/7 (like seriously I sleep and have showered with it on) but it requires a new battery like almost every year I've had it since I bought it around 02-03. Its absorbed incredible abuse without complaint, so all I need is a simple durable watch which I dont have to constantly fiddle with.
Everybody talk to them end up in some danger
-MF Doom, Strange ways
KaceCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:33 PM   #5013
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,925
Quote:
So what about the Seiko needs me? Does it wind while I walk or something? I'm strictly a digital guy at this point. My Suunto Vector has been on me 24/7 (like seriously I sleep and have showered with it on) but it requires a new battery like almost every year I've had it since I bought it around 02-03. Its absorbed incredible abuse without complaint, so all I need is a simple durable watch which I dont have to constantly fiddle with.
it's an automatic, so it's wound by motion. if i don't wear it to work, i put it on when i get home. i have a 4~5 watch rotation, so it's on every day to keep it wound. you can buy a winder, which i would recommend if you have more than one automatic.

when i travel, i always take the 5 and my manual because they need daily attention. it's just part of my ritual to wind one and wear the other.

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:21 AM   #5014
modrover
BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer: 3,576

My Citizen JP2004 Classic Diver's 200M Depth Sensor

For when apnea freediving breath holding techniques are needed in other real world situations.
Washougal, WA USA

modrover screwed with this post 09-20-2012 at 09:53 AM
modrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:04 AM   #5015
modrover
BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer: 3,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by modrover View Post

My Citizen JP2004 Classic Diver's 200M Depth Sensor

For when apnea freediving breath holding techniques are needed in other real world situations.

Certainly this is a much more realistic display of everyday watch use... no fancy guns/knives/drinks here!
Washougal, WA USA
modrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:00 PM   #5016
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,417
Much to my surprise, I find myself wearing the new SARB065 more than the 017. Not only that, what I find really odd is that the 065 shares the same case as my SKX009, yet the 065 is FAR more comfortable on the wrist. I have a WJean super oyster on the 009, so it's a total mystery to me, but the SARB065 is quite comfy and I find it versatile.

As to accuracy, it has settled down in the month I've had it and seems to be running closer and closer to zero gain. I have to reset it and check it, but informally, seems like it is around +4 a day, which is excellent by my standards.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:22 AM   #5017
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
I needed a new dress watch as my divers and chronos won't fit under my fitted dress shirts. Forgot to tell the tailor to make the left cuff wider.
So I could only wear the VERY '70s Tissot tuning fork with a suit.

I found a small watch shop yesterday, run by a polite Hungarian gentleman and a cool collection of affordable vintage stuff, among it a Seiko 6139 chrono and a 6138 brown Speedtimer Bullhead for a great price.

In the end, I walked away with this Doxa:

If the Internet can be trusted, the serial number suggests a manufacturing date of 1944. No idea if the green hands are original or not, but for a price still well in 2-digit territory, I'm very happy.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:36 AM   #5018
theregulator
Shut Up and Ride

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post

In the end, I walked away with this Doxa:

That is a cool looking watch and a good story. Interested to hear about how it runs.
theregulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:09 AM   #5019
Buccleuch
Resistance is futile.

Oddometer: 1,653
Are those hands luminous? A wristwatch of that vintage likely would have had radium-painted hands, and those degrade over the decades. These hands look like they are either replaced, or perhaps have been scraped clean of the original radium (if it was there to begin with) and repainted...

W.A.
Buccleuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:32 PM   #5020
Fredfredburger
CTRL ALT DEL

Oddometer: 568
Quote:
Hmm, any Seiko 5 lovers in the house? Tryna decide between snagging a Seiko 5 Mil, or a Citizen eco for a new riding watch. Opinions and photos would be much help.
I wandered into this forum after not being a watch wearer for a while. After being mad I did not know what time it was when the wind and rain woke me up in the middle of the night up on Loft Mountain in the Blue Ridge (I had turned my cell off to save its battery since there was no signal up there) I decided I needed a new watch.

Wow, alot of great items in here way above my pain threshold.

Anyway I ended up doing this:

Which contained this:

A Citizen Eco Drive watch:

On my harry wrist out at my son's soccer game:

Old 09-21-2012, 02:10 PM   #5021
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredfredburger View Post
I wandered into this forum after not being a watch wearer for a while. After being mad I did not know what time it was when the wind and rain woke me up in the middle of the night up on Loft Mountain in the Blue Ridge (I had turned my cell off to save its battery since there was no signal up there) I decided I needed a new watch.

Wow, alot of great items in here way above my pain threshold.

Anyway I ended up doing this:

Which contained this:

A Citizen Eco Drive watch:

On my harry wrist out at my son's soccer game:

Great choice

I have the same watch and I really like it - not too flashy but has a bit of character...
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:58 PM   #5022
dbg326
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Ordered some paracord and some of those side-release buckles to try and make a new band for my Seiko diver. The stock band fits, but since I've got tiny wrists, it's on the second to last eyelet. I toyed with picking up a cheap Timex Explorer or a G-Shock 5600 for a true beater watch, but decided to pass...
Old 09-22-2012, 12:41 AM   #5023
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccleuch View Post
Are those hands luminous? A wristwatch of that vintage likely would have had radium-painted hands, and those degrade over the decades. These hands look like they are either replaced, or perhaps have been scraped clean of the original radium (if it was there to begin with) and repainted...

W.A.
I have come to the same conclusion. Walking into a dark room, the hands were glowing in a way a 70 year old watch has no business to glow. Looking at pics of similar Doxas, I believe the hands are original and someone repainted them rather crudely with bright modern Superluminova instead of some other vintage looking material.

But I kind of like the effect.

The watch was running a bit less than a minute fast in the first 24 hours, so it is definitely very usable.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:46 AM   #5024
HelmetHead Cycle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbg326 View Post
Ordered some paracord and some of those side-release buckles to try and make a new band for my Seiko diver. The stock band fits, but since I've got tiny wrists, it's on the second to last eyelet. I toyed with picking up a cheap Timex Explorer or a G-Shock 5600 for a true beater watch, but decided to pass...
I too changed my Seiko Diver's band from stock to this Rolex Oyster Style (4th one down). The lugs on the watch are 22m and this is 24m, so I took an ezacto knife and trimmed 1mm from each side so it fits like the stock rubber band, and now it's really cool.
http://www.watchbandsonline.com/sport_rubber/
HelmetHead Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:31 PM   #5025
rhinoWERX
Crikey mate!

Oddometer: 844
Cool2 CW Trident C60 Auto

Look wat just turned up...

IBA #30079
rhinoWERX is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: