Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 270 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 08:53 AM   #5056
rotten
LOST AGAIN

Oddometer: 670
Skeleton

Not very expensive (for watches) but I like it...

rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:11 AM   #5057
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjydrafter View Post
Even if Steve was there he wouldn't have been the end of Charlie as Charlie wasn't there either.

[/history hijack]
DOH! Carry on, I'm obviously too dumb and run my mouth when I don't know what I'm talking about. After being at Manson's cabin before it burned, I just like the thought of that dude not walking the planet.

Back on track, I'm going to look into those watch apps for the iPad, that is COOL!
Old 09-26-2012, 05:01 PM   #5058
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlandr View Post
http://www.calibre11.com/interview-jack-heuer/

Interesting stuff re F1 driver Jo Siffert wholesaling Heuers to the F1 crowd in the '60s, blood group/name engravings etc.

"JH: Well the Autavia non-automatic was a watch that the automotive world liked- Jochen Rindt had one- it was the one thing that people in the automotive world liked to carry. And so therefore this one [The Chronomatic Autavia] we made both in white and black, as you know, and so because it was called Autavia, we said to Jo [Siffert] that this is the one that you should wear most of the time, so that was the idea.

Jo as you may know from his background, he was a very poor guy and he was a born ”wheeler and dealer” and he would always have a collection of watches, and he would place them with all of his friends on the circuit, between wholesale and retail [prices], and we didn’t mind of course because it was in public and so actually the Formula 1 circuit, if you looked around, they all wore a Heuer Chronograph…."
Oh my..those are nice!
Gary
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:32 PM   #5059
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
Glad I'm not the only one that people think are crazy owing the same watch in more than one color.

Rig safety award watch:

And a pic of the whole gang!

Anyone else notice the name of that rig on that watch above? Rig Safety Award watch... that post was from 2007...
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:35 PM   #5060
MikeyT
Krusty Olde Pharte™

Oddometer: 5,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketJohn View Post
Anyone else notice the name of that rig on that watch above? Rig Safety Award watch...
Saw that...

99 Shadow Spirit 1100

"Non Illegitimi Carborundum"
MikeyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:38 AM   #5061
theregulator
Shut Up and Ride

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
Here's an update regarding my SBGE001 spring drive's accuracy and durability while getting pounded for two weeks riding dirtbikes and camping on Mobius 10. If you recall, my MKII Quad-10 didn't fare so well under similar circumstances on M9, gaining over a minute per day on the trail after being regulated to well within 10 sec/day as a daily wearer.

This SBGE001 totally rocks. Accuracy on the trail was indistinguishable from daily wear, gaining 1.5 sec / week. Durability is a non-issue. Wore it the entire time in dusty conditions, crashing, fixing flats, setting up camp, getting dirty, etc. Yeah, it's no longer pristine, but I bought it to use, not just to admire. That said, the technology, design, and finish are all very worthy of admiration. I'm really impressed.
Good to hear Dr. Rock. Glad someone else is putting a SD through it's paces. How is the rubber strap holding up? Still the same cheapo in your picture?
theregulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:11 AM   #5062
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by theregulator View Post
Good to hear Dr. Rock. Glad someone else is putting a SD through it's paces. How is the rubber strap holding up? Still the same cheapo in your picture?
The strap is aces. Nothing cheap about it, 'cept the price.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:45 AM   #5063
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,501
So, I decided that I needed to wear a watch this weekend, I have one in working order - the Seiko 6105-8110 that I carry on about.

Its s/n is 585018 if that will help any one work out a date of manufacture.

but first some history....
My uncle brought it in Hong Kong some time between 1975 and 1978 when he as posted there with the Army. Coincidentally, my father was posted there at similar time and that is where I was born in 1976. No I am not Chineese!
Anyway, years later working in Zimbabwe with my Uncle he gave it to me as it had got water in it and he didn't wear it any more.
I took the back of (with a pair of Snap On duck bill pliers) had a look, saw that the pendulum thing went round and then replaced the back.

I eventually took it back to the UK, got it serviced at the local jewlery store and it became a daily wear watch. (yeah I was stoked - 19 and sporting this classic Seiko) I didnt like the rubber type strap that came with it, I dont think I have that any more, got a metal one that looked good but isn't strong enough for it, its twisted. A pin in the strap broke and its got some 0.024" lock wire holding it together. Only the second clasp on the strap holds it closed, its a bit tired shall we say.

Anyway, after a few years it wasn't doing so well so I stopped wearing it and wore a cheap ass but look good watch. it told the time and was ok.

As of now, I haven't worn a watch regularly for 6 years. When I travel I do because I like to know the time, but at work, there are time pieces all round us (telephone, computer, car, moto, some one else). Its also hot and sweaty where I live.

Anyway, I got it out last night, gave it shake, wore it for a while (man you notice the difference in weight when wearing a watch)

At 23:00 I zeroed it against my computer.
At 23:06 this evening I stopped it. (Yeah I missed the time)
In that period it had lost 1min and 43 seconds (103 seconds) that is a loss of 0.12%

Now consider that this watch has NEVER had a proper service, in the last 20 years has been worn less than it has. Has been in a box of stuff for the last 8 years maybe more, I think that's pretty good.

It needs a clean and a new more appropriate strap but it tells a story.

Hay Ewe
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:40 AM   #5064
kfalls_rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
A beautiful and classic Seiko. Great story, too.
kfalls_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:19 AM   #5065
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,277
Tis pretty easy to get a good, recent make bracelet for that Seiko, if you want to.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:04 PM   #5066
douthers
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Here's mine... Suunto X-Lander Military. No real story. Just liked it. Served me well for a couple of years so far.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:10 PM   #5067
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
I think I would like to try one of the Suuntos, I go back and forth on styles, started out with my first nice watch was an electronic, then tuning fork, then mechanical, then quartz, now back to mechanical but I still think quartz is the ruggedest around. Cheap to repair and accurate.

Today was Oris, bought back in 98 or 99, about $220 at the time so far from one that impresses people, still, I have been impressed with it. Tomorrow will be diver day.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:12 PM   #5068
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hay Ewe View Post
So, I decided that I needed to wear a watch this weekend, I have one in working order - the Seiko 6105-8110 that I carry on about.

Its s/n is 585018 if that will help any one work out a date of manufacture.

but first some history....
My uncle brought it in Hong Kong some time between 1975 and 1978 when he as posted there with the Army. Coincidentally, my father was posted there at similar time and that is where I was born in 1976. No I am not Chineese!
Anyway, years later working in Zimbabwe with my Uncle he gave it to me as it had got water in it and he didn't wear it any more.
I took the back of (with a pair of Snap On duck bill pliers) had a look, saw that the pendulum thing went round and then replaced the back.

I eventually took it back to the UK, got it serviced at the local jewlery store and it became a daily wear watch. (yeah I was stoked - 19 and sporting this classic Seiko) I didnt like the rubber type strap that came with it, I dont think I have that any more, got a metal one that looked good but isn't strong enough for it, its twisted. A pin in the strap broke and its got some 0.024" lock wire holding it together. Only the second clasp on the strap holds it closed, its a bit tired shall we say.

Anyway, after a few years it wasn't doing so well so I stopped wearing it and wore a cheap ass but look good watch. it told the time and was ok.

As of now, I haven't worn a watch regularly for 6 years. When I travel I do because I like to know the time, but at work, there are time pieces all round us (telephone, computer, car, moto, some one else). Its also hot and sweaty where I live.

Anyway, I got it out last night, gave it shake, wore it for a while (man you notice the difference in weight when wearing a watch)

At 23:00 I zeroed it against my computer.
At 23:06 this evening I stopped it. (Yeah I missed the time)
In that period it had lost 1min and 43 seconds (103 seconds) that is a loss of 0.12%

Now consider that this watch has NEVER had a proper service, in the last 20 years has been worn less than it has. Has been in a box of stuff for the last 8 years maybe more, I think that's pretty good.

It needs a clean and a new more appropriate strap but it tells a story.

Hay Ewe

That one deserves a good refurb. Nice watch.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:56 PM   #5069
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,487
What's the scoop on Jacques Lemans watches? The ones in the recent post are pretty cool.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:07 PM   #5070
Buccleuch
Resistance is futile.

Oddometer: 1,627
AFAIK, Jacques LeMans is yet another far East (China) wristwatch maker, along the lines of Swiss Legend, Lucien Piccard, Stuhrling Original, etc., that grabbed a name that smacks of Continental cachet, gets designs from the U.S. and Europe, and sends wristwatches of moderate quality around the world.

W.A.
Buccleuch is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: