User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 45 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 09-28-2012, 04:01 AM   #5071
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
I think they are actually an "Austrian" boutique brand, i.e. some office in Austria with the watches made god knows where. They might want to piggy back on a perceived closeness to Switzerland.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:38 AM   #5072
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,366
My SKX781 Orange Monster should be here Saturday.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:56 AM   #5073
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
I think they are actually an "Austrian" boutique brand, i.e. some office in Austria with the watches made god knows where. They might want to piggy back on a perceived closeness to Switzerland.
I had a friend who toured some machine facility's in China, Taiwan and South Korea about 1o years ago. After many years in the jewelry biz he left wondering exactly who makes watch cases where and for who. He said there was some serious machinery being used in the making of watch cases. And those watch cases looked to be from some big name makers.

Looking back now, it could have been he was seeing the start of the counterfiet watch biz, or some of the big boys could have been cutting corners.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:44 AM   #5074
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post
I had a friend who toured some machine facility's in China, Taiwan and South Korea about 1o years ago. After many years in the jewelry biz he left wondering exactly who makes watch cases where and for who. He said there was some serious machinery being used in the making of watch cases. And those watch cases looked to be from some big name makers.

Looking back now, it could have been he was seeing the start of the counterfiet watch biz, or some of the big boys could have been cutting corners.
cutting costs. that's not synonymous with cutting corners.

I know thaht fab outfits in Taiwan can hit tolerance whatever tolerance specifications you shoot at 'em...top notch QA...particularly when it comes to case fab, which is not a particularly challenging area of fabrication.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:51 AM   #5075
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
cutting costs. that's not synonymous with cutting corners.

I know thaht fab outfits in Taiwan can hit tolerance whatever tolerance specifications you shoot at 'em...top notch QA...particularly when it comes to case fab, which is not a particularly challenging area of fabrication.
True, but when I pay for a swiss watch, I aint looking for a watch where all the parts except the movement were made in Asia by people making $2 a day.

As for China, from people I have talked to who worked at moving production to China as long as your inspector was looking over their shoulder they did exactly what was required under contract, when your inspector left they had no issues substituting their own grades of steel while your steel that you supplied walked out the door. They treated fucking you over as a game. When they were caught a few people were fired and six months later were back on site.

IBA 22425
Old 09-28-2012, 12:10 PM   #5076
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post
True, but when I pay for a swiss watch, I aint looking for a watch where all the parts except the movement were made in Asia by people making $2 a day.

As for China, from people I have talked to who worked at moving production to China as long as your inspector was looking over their shoulder they did exactly what was required under contract, when your inspector left they had no issues substituting their own grades of steel while your steel that you supplied walked out the door. They treated fucking you over as a game. When they were caught a few people were fired and six months later were back on site.
I would not doubt that for a second. But saying that your take on Chinese fabrication is the same as your take on Taiwanese fabrication is like saying you think a swiss watch is the same as a swedish watch.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:15 PM   #5077
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
I would not doubt that for a second. But saying that your take on Chinese fabrication is the same as your take on Taiwanese fabrication is like saying you think a swiss watch is the same as a swedish watch.

I dont think they are the same, and didnt make myself clear. He saw different things at each place, in China they were pumping out watch cases and were tight lipped when asked about them. He didnt say what he saw in Korea or Taiwan or if he did I dont remember.

IBA 22425
Old 09-28-2012, 12:27 PM   #5078
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hay Ewe View Post
So, I decided that I needed to wear a watch this weekend, I have one in working order - the Seiko 6105-8110 that I carry on about.

Its s/n is 585018 if that will help any one work out a date of manufacture.

Hay Ewe

Bought one in the PX at Ft. Bragg in about 1980. Loved that watch and gave it to my best dive buddy in about 1993...he almost cried. He had always wanted one and knew what that watch meant to me. It had been on my wrist thru my entire Army career and thru all me SFQC training.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:06 AM   #5079
ManiZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
ManiZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:20 AM   #5080
theregulator
Shut Up and Ride

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
The strap is aces. Nothing cheap about it, 'cept the price.
Agree. Used a 20mm version with an old SMP. Just ordered the 22 for my SBGE001.
theregulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:42 PM   #5081
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hay Ewe View Post
So, I decided that I needed to wear a watch this weekend, I have one in working order - the Seiko 6105-8110 that I carry on about.

Its s/n is 585018 if that will help any one work out a date of manufacture.

Hay Ewe
Some simple sleuthing on the net works a manufacture date of August 1975.

Hay Ewe
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:35 AM   #5082
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,366
My Orange Monster showed up Saturday afternoon. Bigger than I thought but I'll get used to it. What a nice bracelet. Holding dead nuts time over the weekend. Photo later. Everyone has seen one anyway.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:01 PM   #5083
Censport
Vendor

Oddometer: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby View Post
What's the scoop on Jacques Lemans watches? The ones in the recent post are pretty cool.
I've got a Capri-series chrono (1-1618G); picked it up from one of those Miami-based websites for US$77 last year. It's done very well for me so far. Very handsome, no quality issues. Kind of wish I had gotten the 1-1618C for the bracelet, as the lug length, width (19mm) and bar depth makes it impossible to fit anyone else's bracelet. The leather strap is formed to wrap around the wrist. It's stiff at first, but fine once broken in. Best of all, not one, but two young female customers have complimented me on it.

Also bought a $10 generic sports strap for days when I need a little more flexibility.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:34 PM   #5084
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

Oddometer: 3,774
winders

I have no desire to join a watch forum and sift through the blather....AND...I do consider the ADV community to be the best when it comes to real advise.....so.......

I have two automatics that I alternate wearing, leaving one lie fallow for perhaps a month or two at a time while I daily wear the other or if I take my Casio Protek on adventures were abuse is expected.

The two watches are a Submariner that I've had for ~14 years and a fairly new Speedmaster. What can I say, I like the classics

What is the opinion on the long term effect leaving a watch unwound...not running...for an extended period...as oppossed to getting a winder to keep it on? I don't mind having to set it and get it started, because I wear in streaks, not daily changes. I'm just curious about the affect on timing and frequency of service requiremnts....
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:40 PM   #5085
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,434
Good question. I have a hand winding watch and I only ever wear it for a day, so my auto watch won't stop in the meantime :-).
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: