User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 436 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 02:00 AM   #5191
dbg326
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
May have found a new addiction...not good (joining watchuseek definitely didn't help)...but I guess it's better than booze and crack. Just got an HMT Kohinoor delivered today for all of $15. Definitely needs a new band, but other than that, I'm loving the damn thing. Cheap, simple, no-frills, and seems to be well made. Pics coming soon!
Old 11-10-2012, 01:12 PM   #5192
Mav
Something witty...

Oddometer: 3,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden View Post

My latest

Good choice - I have the same inc with the orange numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Commander View Post
My Planet Ocean is getting more wrist time lately. If I could get the *#$%$ strap off so I could slide on one of the NATO bands Linzi got me it would get much more.
Try harder

Although my strap is actually a Zulu

-------------------------
All the gear.. no idea!
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:16 PM   #5193
JN3n
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
My planet ocean is my daily watch . I love it !!
I own watches most people have never heard of and this is my favorite daily watch.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:36 PM   #5194
Kris
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
has anyone owned/owns a Sinn watch?, I am really interested in a Sinn 103 and would like some reviews from owners. I have previously owned a Submariner, and then a Planet Ocean. This time I am looking for something a little different. Apparently there is only one source to order these watchbuys.com.
Kris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:49 PM   #5195
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
has anyone owned/owns a Sinn watch?, I am really interested in a Sinn 103 and would like some reviews from owners. I have previously owned a Submariner, and then a Planet Ocean. This time I am looking for something a little different. Apparently there is only one source to order these watchbuys.com.
Never owned one but I wouldn't hesitate for a second if I were in the market and they had a model that fit my ...err....needs.
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:50 PM   #5196
JN3n
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
I have one. Bought it a few years ago.No problems ,good fit etc. You should see a 20% plus discount on one these days.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:05 PM   #5197
redsport
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Here is my small affordable collection:

redsport screwed with this post 11-10-2012 at 10:56 PM Reason: Trying to post image.
redsport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:12 AM   #5198
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,445
Kris,

I've owned a number of them through the years, first a 6000 Frankfurt (around 12 years ago), a 656, a couple of others who's numbers i can recall, and now I have a 42mm U1 SDR. I think my brother owns a 103, which he bought to replace a Speedmaster he had stolen. I have a few Subs as well, a Sea Dweller, Panerai's, Cartier, Gashutte, and others, so I've been around the block with watches. Sinn makes outstanding watches, and the dressy 6000 chrono was built and finished as well as any Rolex or Omega I've owned. The other Sinn's I've had were mostly tool watches, so not highly polished or decorated, but they were very well made, and had tried and true, durable Swiss automatic movements that kept excellent time. My current U1 is the most accurate watch I own, and built like an absolute tank. I'm obviously a big Submariner fan, and I love the Planet Ocean (especially the 42mm with the orange rubber strap!), and Sinn doesn't have the known bling appeal or cache of a Sub or Omega, if that matters to you, but I think they're a great value. The only real flaw I can see on my U1 is the paint on the hands isn't particularly even, noticeable with naked eye, and quite obvious with a loupe, but this is serious nitpicking on a watch that costs less than $2k. The case, strap, and clasp are flawless, and the case is still virtually perfect after a couple of years of pretty hard use, including a lot of snorkeling and a week of beating the hell out of it nearly 24/7 on a sailing trip.

I think Sinn still offers some models with Lemania movements, which have excellent long-term value potential, so you might want to look at one of those. The 103 is a beautiful watch, particularly the model with the white subdials. I'm also a big fan of the EZM 3.

The guys at Watchbuys are fantastic to deal with, and the nice thing about having only one dealer here in the states that doesn't discount Sinn is that the resale market is excellent, and if you decide you want to sell a Sinn you're not going to lose half your money on it.

Another excellent brand that Watchbuys sells is Muhle Glashutte. I have the classic Search and Rescue model on the bracelet, and I would consider it as good a watch as the Sinn, with even better finishing on the dial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:43 AM   #5199
1stiski
Ride that nasty thing

Oddometer: 1,617
SISU A3 Guardian in the house

Just got this solid time machine. It is just a beautiful build . Enough said. Fits the wrist like a charm, looks big, wears super comfortable.. The rubber strap keeps it from moving about on the wrist.
Size comparison to my Lum-Tec Lumzilla,, Just a hair larger.
"Grim Brother" #1
1stiski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:16 AM   #5200
RomaDakota
Illuminatus!

Oddometer: 1,401
Old 11-15-2012, 10:39 AM   #5201
Speed King
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,619
Man that Rolex is nice. On my short list.
Speed King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:18 AM   #5202
Chazza
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I recently purchased a brand new Rolex Submariner, which I'm very happy with. It just feels like a quality piece of precision engineering that will probably outlast me. And I figured while I have the spare cash in the bank, if I don't get one now, I never will...

Fair point about splashing out 4,700 on a device that simply tells the time (I got mine tax-free shipped out to my FOB in Afghanistan - not the wisest move, but it was insured), but for me, a watch as well designed and crafted as this is more an object of beauty than any 'fine art' painting or sculpture.

Not my photo by the way

And it maybe slightly brand-whore-ish, but I'd love to get a Seadweller from my birth year (1988 as it happens) and a 70's GMT with a faded red and blue bezel... But since I don't have another 10k to spend so frivolously, they'll have to wait!

Some more pics (again, not mine) just because I like 'em!

Chazza screwed with this post 11-16-2012 at 05:19 AM Reason: MASSIVE photo changed to more suitable size....
Chazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:36 AM   #5203
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 980
Now that is nice! Not often that a watch dwarfs a Lumzillia
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stiski View Post
Just got this solid time machine. It is just a beautiful build . Enough said. Fits the wrist like a charm, looks big, wears super comfortable.. The rubber strap keeps it from moving about on the wrist.
Size comparison to my Lum-Tec Lumzilla,, Just a hair larger.
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:04 AM   #5204
1stiski
Ride that nasty thing

Oddometer: 1,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Hog View Post
Now that is nice! Not often that a watch dwarfs a Lumzillia
Gary
Has the biggest Sapphire crystal I've ever seen. In person it's just amazing, the double Elicpse numerals also add to the wow of the watch. The upper black chrome numbers are just below the crystal, and the Lume is below, and recessed in its own notch... Kind of cool that the hands are in between both. In the dark it takes on a 3-D look, messing with the eyes. I chose this because its so different from whats out in the market. Its going to get good rotation.
"Grim Brother" #1
1stiski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:07 AM   #5205
Rick G
Ranger Rick

Oddometer: 1,980
My First Luxury Watch

I have always like watches but have never invested in a real luxury watch. The closest was a Bulova Accutron auto that I was able to purchase at a huge discount back when I was in the gift industry. But that watch was stolen when our home was broken into a couple of years ago.

Well that has all changed with the watch my wife just bought me for my birthday (2 weeks). Actually when I asked her if she would get me a nice watch she just said, pick one out and buy it. So I did. What do you think?

[IMG][/IMG]

It is a Lum-Tec V 1 Limited Edition #11 out of 150. First discovered Lum-Tec here when I would occasionally check out the cool watches. I would visit their website often dreaming of which one I would pick out. The serious lume was the main draw as well as the distinctive but not overboard styling.

[IMG][/IMG]

Being that I live about 10 miles from their HQ, I bought it directly from them at their showroom. Great bunch of guys. Took their time explaining to me their watches and features. Yesterday when I pulled the trigger after harrassing them over several visits, they threw in a silver bracelet ($145) for me. The watch also comes with a diver's rubber band and a beautiful wood display box.

A coulple of more pics. I am so proud!

[IMG][/IMG]

Also included was a quick deployment buckle for the leather strap. Never saw one of those before. The watch also has a saphire crystal display back to show off the upgraded and decorated Swiss movement.

[IMG][/IMG]

You know this means I am probably going to become a watch collector now. I am going to have to buy a display case and winders and of course more watches. What have I got myself into?

Rick G
Rick G is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: